Oh no! Not another ICE storm!!!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IA has had it hard these last two winters. We are having yet ANOTHER ice storm! It's only been raining ice for the last hour and everything is already covered with a layer of ice. Last year it got so bad it broke down power lines and you had to chizzle your way in your car. THIS STORM IS SUPPOSE TO BE WORSE! The power was out for two days some places and two weeks other places last year, I'm SOOOOOOO not excited! Please send vibes our way!

Here are some pictures from my area last year.

These poles were snapped EVERYWHERE!!!! There were even a lot of workers that got killed last year because they were out working in dangerous conditions. We even had to call in workers from the states next door to help out.

This is all from Feb, 2007

Every tree looked like this, not too mention a lot of them broke too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh don't think I'm not freaking out!!!!
I'm so not excited. We never had anything like this when I was growing up. Not to this extreme. I'm banking on Global Climate Change.......

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had an ice storm here last year but it wasn't that bad. I still have a few pictures I took.

My side yard.

My kitchen window.

The tree.

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had an ice storm here today, too. I guess nothing too bad. Everything was covered with a layer of ice, but nothing as bad as fallen trees and power lines. The power did flicker here for a little while this morning. I don't have a TV, so I don't know how the rest of the city faired.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read about the storm online. I DO NOT envy y'all at all! I remember having a few of those icestorms back home (Wisconsin) and they are definitely no fun at all..
I do not miss that stuff at all..

I hope y'all will be all right!

~KK~

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recall that ice storm. Our house windows were frozen solid!

We got snow, then ice....then a tid of snow, then more ice. I had to work until 3:30PM this afternoon....it was fun. Took me 35 minutes just to chip the ice off my car!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This ice storm stinks!

I got off work at 4:15 and didn't leave until almost 5 because my car was encased in ice about 1/4 of an inch thick! I had to crawl in the passengers side to get in because my drivers side door was frozen shut, started it and was working in scraping the ice off and broke my scraper! How bogus is that?
I just called work to see how much money we made so far, let's just say not even enough to pay my wages and I can't get ahold of anyone that can authorize us to close early cause the owner decided to not answer his phone this weekend. So they are stuck working (well sitting there) until 11 pm tonight. That's stupid.

There's tree branches on the ground in my yard because the ice is so thick on them. Poor things they are just sagging under the weight.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was the same for me Barb.
Hopefully they close the store.....open until 11PM & nobody's dumb enough to be out shopping in this weather! Half the people called in unable to drive in.

I kicked my driver's door until it broke loose enough I could get in it. Then it occured to me I could get in via the passenger's side!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know...I was thinking about if it ices where I live....I may not be able to get out of the city. We're basically trolls (we live below the bridge). It's a steep climb for my little civic if it does ever ice.

Which looks like it might be monday

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did any of y'all ever buy that de-icer stuff that comes in a can and you just spray it on the ice and it melts? It's terrific, and really works!
I used it all the time when living back home in Wisc. The only problem is, is that you're supposed to be careful not to spray it on the paint of your vehicle. But it sure gets the ice off the windows!

~KK~

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Did any of y'all ever buy that de-icer stuff that comes in a can and you just spray it on the ice and it melts? It's terrific, and really works!
I used it all the time when living back home in Wisc. The only problem is, is that you're supposed to be careful not to spray it on the paint of your vehicle. But it sure gets the ice off the windows!

~KK~
I have lock de-icer--about 12 little cans of it! I keep a small can in my purse and the rest of them in my coat closet.

Isn't it funny how we can never get the driver door open, but we can always rely on the passenger door to open??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

I have lock de-icer--about 12 little cans of it! I keep a small can in my purse and the rest of them in my coat closet.
I used to keep plenty of spares on hand, too.

Isn't it funny how we can never get the driver door open, but we can always rely on the passenger door to open??
You noticed that too, heh?!
What used to irk me was I could always get the passenger side unstuck, but never the driver's side.
And that was a real pain in the you-know-where when you wanted to use the drive-thru bank, or drive-thru anything!

~KK~

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are getting the ice here too. It was suppose to snow and then turn to rain but it seems to have mixed.

I am glad my daughter does not have to work until noon today. I would not want her out there driving until the roads are salted.

When I let the dogs out this morning there was a coating on everything and I am sure the car doors are going to be fun to get open.

Two of our cats are hardcore indoor/outdoor kitties. They want to go out regardless of the weather. They went out with the dogs but wanted back in less than a half hour later

I think everyone will stay in the rest of the day.

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing here in NC. =( I wish we'd get some snow/ice something. I'll share yours if your willing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!!! Well, it wasn't as bad as it was supposed to be but we have a good inch to 2 inches of solid ice everywhere!!!!! I have some pictures that I will post later. They aren't great, but they are pretty cool.

Oh and my internet went out yesterday!!! I almost died! I'm picking up the city internet, but it's REALLY slow.