One cat fighting with another

resapre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started out a year ago fostering a mom and her kitten, well when it came time to put them up for adoption, I adopted them both. Mom and son. The son has become very aggressive. He just tackled Mom and pushed her down the stairs, and had her pinned on her back, while he was on her stomach biting her. I stamped my foot and clapped my hands and he let go an ran. I have always had cats, just never more than one at a time. Is this normal behavior for several cats? What can I do to stop it? Mom is a sweet calico and son looks like a Bombay, looks like a panther, really long and big. Bigger than Mom. Someone please help.

organikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There seems to be a lot of traditional responses in this forum, so I'll come at it from a metaphysical angle. Typically, pets merely reflect what's going on with their owner(s). The trick is to figure things out, but you need the awareness to do it. PM me if you have any questions.

Now, in my experience with pets, they can react very well to flower essences. Don't know if a lot of people use them on this forum, but I highly recommend them. You can check out some good ones here:

http://catfaeries.com/essences.html

The top 2 essences may be helpful to your situation. There is a FAQ that can help answer any questions you might have.

For the skeptics (if there are any) who don't believe in this kinda crap, I don't blame you. 10 years ago I wouldn't have believed any of it either. But thank goodness you get wiser with age.

Good luck with your cat situation.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if flower essences will work on your cats, though I'm not very optimistic, and I also doubt the business about 'reflecting' (projecting?) their owners. Male cats have always tried to dominate females, and some can be quite vicious about it. You may have to keep them separated behind doors when you're not around, or rehome the son, as the instinct, in my long experience of many cats, seems to be quite a deep one and almost impossible to 'break'.

organikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

I don't know if flower essences will work on your cats, though I'm not very optimistic, and I also doubt the business about 'reflecting' (projecting?) their owners.
Like I said, perhaps try the flower essence. And remember, the Universe is but a mirror.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could simply be a difference in energy levels. If Mom is passive, quiet, not into rough play, and son is younger, looking for wrestling partners, and higher energy, it will lead to the behavior you describe.

What makes this situation look aggressive is frustration. If he's Bombay looking, he's probably Bombay acting; lively, needs play outlets, generally the long-bodied, long legged type that requires a lot of both mental and physical stimulation.

So he's basically going crazy trying to find a cat to play with, and the only cat around is not into it. This is frustrating, and he's getting upset at the cat who cannot meet his needs now.

He grew into this, and will not grow out of it any time soon. (I'm assuming everybody's altered?)

So he needs a playmate. The next step is up to you. Mom cat can't be the one he looking for, and he can't help asking all the time. This energy cannot be gotten rid of, it can only be re-directed.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Werebear

It could simply be a difference in energy levels. If Mom is passive, quiet, not into rough play, and son is younger, looking for wrestling partners, and higher energy, it will lead to the behavior you describe.

What makes this situation look aggressive is frustration. If he's Bombay looking, he's probably Bombay acting; lively, needs play outlets, generally the long-bodied, long legged type that requires a lot of both mental and physical stimulation.

So he's basically going crazy trying to find a cat to play with, and the only cat around is not into it. This is frustrating, and he's getting upset at the cat who cannot meet his needs now.

He grew into this, and will not grow out of it any time soon. (I'm assuming everybody's altered?)

So he needs a playmate. The next step is up to you. Mom cat can't be the one he looking for, and he can't help asking all the time. This energy cannot be gotten rid of, it can only be re-directed.
I tried this technique w/ Geronimo: I got him a younger cat to "play" with, so he'd leave poor Gabriel alone. It worked - for awhile. Now he's back to pestering Gabriel again: I 've run out of ideas & diversions, and just don't know WHAT to do anymore!

But that is a good idea.
It generally works for most aggressive cats.

~KK~

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find this is a problem with many indoor only cats, I almost never have the issue with my indoor/outdoor cats but it would probably happen a lot if they were only indoors