I feel like I LIVE in a litterbox!

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
o.k., I have two spayed female cats. The younger one is a kitten from the older one's first litter. Both of them (but especially the younger one, Mika) pee all over my house. I'm fairly positive it is a behavioral issue, because I know exactly when it started. Chloe (the mom) had a second litter of kittens, and the once inseparable pair became sworn enemies. I kept mom and the new babies closed in the bathroom, but the cats would hiss and growl at each other through the door. Heaven forbid if mom snuck out the bathroom door... it was kitty war!

So the kittens are long gone now (about a year), and both cats have been fixed, but they still don't get along that well. I tried to reintroduce them gradually to each other after the kittens, such as putting them in cat carriers in the same room together. My boyfriend and I would also each hold one, and then pet and praise them while moving them closer together. They can live in the same space now, but are generally irritated with each other. Mostly, mom will hiss and swat at Mika whenever she walks by, and I often hear her growling in warning to stop Mika from coming too close. When I see her doing this I clap or shout to try to distract them, but it doesn't really work.

As a result of their dislike for each other I'm sure, they now urinate everywhere. Plastic bags, clothes, towels, blankets, and stacks of mail seem to be their favorite items. I try very hard to keep things picked up, especially off of the floor, and not leave things laying around for them to pee on. As a result, they now pee on my counters, in the bathtub, and on the kitchen appliances (I didn't think there could be a worse smell than cat urine... but warm cat urine emanating from the toaster is certainly worse!). I've even found puddles sitting in the middle of the linoleum floor! In addition, I've just been informed by my apartment manager that there have been multiple complaints of my cats peeing on people's doors, welcome mats, and under the mailboxes. I got a warning this time, but was told I would be evicted if it continued! I try to keep them inside, but sometimes can't help it when they dart out the door when I come home.

What can I do to help them get along and stop peeing??? I love them both very much, but they're getting close to winning a one-way trip to the woods. I certainly am not going to be kicked out of my apartment because of it! Since there is no rhyme or reason to where they go, foil, sticky tape, or citrus tricks are not going to work. Would those pheramone plug-ins be my best bet? And what about the anti-depressants? I don't really want to drug my kitties, but I'm desperate.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When was their last check up at the vet? How many litter boxes do you have? What is your enzyme cleanser?
You may think it is just a behavior issue but make sure by visiting your veterinarian. One of your girls may be sick and the other one does not want her around which may explain the animosity between them. Also, you must use the proper cleanser to get rid of all traces of urine. A good cleaning agent will not only remove the odors but will deter the cats from revisiting the spots they peed on. You may need more than 2 litter boxes too.
There are also other possibilities but will not mention them now to avoid more confusion. Check up at the vet is foremost and hopefully things will be okay soon.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also forgot to ask - how often do you clean the litter box? Cats will not use a dirty litter box.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to have them checked by a vet. Cats pee in bathtubs and sink when they have urinary problems. It does not appear they have been vet checked for this at all, based on your story. Your cats could be seriously ill.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andria313

o.k., I have two spayed female cats. The younger one is a kitten from the older one's first litter. Both of them (but especially the younger one, Mika) pee all over my house. I'm fairly positive it is a behavioral issue, because I know exactly when it started. Chloe (the mom) had a second litter of kittens, and the once inseparable pair became sworn enemies. I kept mom and the new babies closed in the bathroom, but the cats would hiss and growl at each other through the door. Heaven forbid if mom snuck out the bathroom door... it was kitty war!

So the kittens are long gone now (about a year), and both cats have been fixed, but they still don't get along that well. I tried to reintroduce them gradually to each other after the kittens, such as putting them in cat carriers in the same room together. My boyfriend and I would also each hold one, and then pet and praise them while moving them closer together. They can live in the same space now, but are generally irritated with each other. Mostly, mom will hiss and swat at Mika whenever she walks by, and I often hear her growling in warning to stop Mika from coming too close. When I see her doing this I clap or shout to try to distract them, but it doesn't really work.

As a result of their dislike for each other I'm sure, they now urinate everywhere. Plastic bags, clothes, towels, blankets, and stacks of mail seem to be their favorite items. I try very hard to keep things picked up, especially off of the floor, and not leave things laying around for them to pee on. As a result, they now pee on my counters, in the bathtub, and on the kitchen appliances (I didn't think there could be a worse smell than cat urine... but warm cat urine emanating from the toaster is certainly worse!). I've even found puddles sitting in the middle of the linoleum floor! In addition, I've just been informed by my apartment manager that there have been multiple complaints of my cats peeing on people's doors, welcome mats, and under the mailboxes. I got a warning this time, but was told I would be evicted if it continued! I try to keep them inside, but sometimes can't help it when they dart out the door when I come home.

What can I do to help them get along and stop peeing??? I love them both very much, but they're getting close to winning a one-way trip to the woods. I certainly am not going to be kicked out of my apartment because of it! Since there is no rhyme or reason to where they go, foil, sticky tape, or citrus tricks are not going to work. Would those pheramone plug-ins be my best bet? And what about the anti-depressants? I don't really want to drug my kitties, but I'm desperate.
I thought my kitten had a behavior problem and it turned out he had a Urinary Problem. Get in touch with the Vet to hopefully rule this out.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had a cat therapist in for my anxious kitty Mimosa, it worked wonders and I have been reading up on cat behaviour therapy like crazy since then.

How many litterboxes do you have ? 1 per cat + 1 extra is the ideal formula. Do they like their litter ? Observe to see if they don't seem to hate the feeling of the litter on their paws, I have one cat who hates clay litter and will pee while balancing himself on the edge of the box to avoid touching it, so he has a box with wood pellets, the rest prefers clay.
Are the boxes covered or open ? What do the cats like best ? The cats don't get along, are they not keeping each other away from the box ? Can they "do their business" in peace or might they get attacked by another cat ?

You are always, always, always advised to really rule out physical problems. Take them and their urine to the vet. Only if the cat is totally fine you can suspect a behavioural problem. Most vets are not really up to speed on cat behaviour but maybe your vet can point you to a good cat therapist. (in the Netherlands treatment wasn't very expensive, there were even free treatments from trainees, I hope it is the same where you live)

Medication only solves something if the cat actually has a physical problem, like a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication can be used to treat behavioural problems, but only together with behavioural treatment, otherwise you just drug your cat to suppress symptoms in stead of taking away the cause. The therapist who treated my cat says improper elimination is often very easy to solve, and that it is important not to wait too long before seeking help, because it can become a habit in some cats.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First take them to the vet. They could be sick!

Next, buy a Feliway diffuser to help ease the tension. This is something that looks like an air freshener that you plug in the wall (it's not an air freshener, you won't notice it). It has cat pheremones to calm them down.

Also, make sure your litter boxes are VERY clean. Scoop a few times a day. Cats aren't going to use a dirty box and most people don't clean them often enough. Most people don't like using a toilet that hasn't been flushed, cats aren't really that different.

You need more than 1 box. They can be intimidating each other or preventing them from reaching the box. 2 at the very minimum but 3 is ideal (1 for each cat plus an extra). Have you changed litter? They might not like the new litter.

Also, try Dr. Elsey's litter attract. It's an additive you mix in with your litter that makes it more attractive to cats. You can find it at PetSmart.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had that problem - it's apparently common when you ahve two girlies going together. We cleaned their litter boxes with a standard product that contains chlorine - bizarre as it may sound, it's very attractive to them and they are more inclined to pee where there's chlorine than anything else they've previously peed on.