Possible Problem Between 2 Otherwise Friendly Cats

valerieh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. Abby is 2 years old and Zoe is 4 months old, she moved in a month ago and from everything I've seen, these two have gotten along great. The introduction was done properly and they bonded immediately (I know, this is virtually unheard of). Within the second day, they were playing together. Within a week, they were grooming eachother and napping together on my bed with me. I am a full-time student living at home with my parents, so my cats are NEVER alone and neither me or my parents have seen the cats have any problems towards eachother.

Well, just recently Abby has begun to have a bit of an attitude towards Zoe. For example, the other day I was lying on my bed with Zoe and Abby jumped up. Zoe sleepily leaned forward to kiss Abby (something they've been doing for awhile now) and Abby hissed, jumped down and ran off. The other instances have been similar, although not on my bed, in which Zoe will walk up to Abby to either kiss or groom her and Abby will hiss and walk away.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could have happened, and more importantly, what I should do? I don't really understand why Abby is doing this all of a sudden. I've been very careful to give her extra attention ever since Zoe came into our household, and Zoe herself is surprisingly mellow for a 4 month old (more mellow than Abby, in fact) so I can't see it being an issue where Abby's being annoyed. Especially since they aren't playing/wrestling when Abby decides to start hissing. They actually get along BEST when they're playing.

Another issue I'm having is that, while they love playing with eachother, Abby doesn't seem to want to play with ME if Zoe is around. She seems hesitant, even though she's certainly not hesitant to pound Zoe to the ground when they do their cat-wrestling. I feel bad for Abby because I know she wants to play with me but for some reason is holding back if Zoe is there - but I also don't want to lock Zoe up and make her feel like she did something bad just because she's a playful kitten.

Anyway, sorry this was so long and thanks for reading. I hope someone can give me some advice because naturally I'm worried that I must be doing something wrong as an owner for this to be occurring in the first place!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ValerieH

Well, just recently Abby has begun to have a bit of an attitude towards Zoe. For example, the other day I was lying on my bed with Zoe and Abby jumped up. Zoe sleepily leaned forward to kiss Abby (something they've been doing for awhile now) and Abby hissed, jumped down and ran off. The other instances have been similar, although not on my bed, in which Zoe will walk up to Abby to either kiss or groom her and Abby will hiss and walk away.
Well, Zoe is still a kitten, and Abby is ending her adolescence. Maybe Zoe is getting over his mellow stage and Abby is doing the opposite. Unless it is not a health issue, I would not worry too much.

Originally Posted by ValerieH

Another issue I'm having is that, while they love playing with eachother, Abby doesn't seem to want to play with ME if Zoe is around. She seems hesitant, even though she's certainly not hesitant to pound Zoe to the ground when they do their cat-wrestling. I feel bad for Abby because I know she wants to play with me but for some reason is holding back if Zoe is there - but I also don't want to lock Zoe up and make her feel like she did something bad just because she's a playful kitten.
Actually, if Abby wants to play with you, she will.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Abby needs some alone time with you. There's ways of distracting the kitten or letting her play somewhere else while Abby gets your full attention.

It's not Zoe doing anything wrong... enough time has gone by that Abby is discovering she's always an adjunct to good times with you.

Some cats don't need alone time, but some do. Mr. Bond, since getting our kitten, has starting darting into the bathroom when I get ready for work, so I close the door so he's the Only Cat for a bit. I make a point of seeking him out when we can be alone and give him special fussing.

Try this and see if Abby starts feeling better. She got it automatically before. While she enjoys the kitten, she also might want her special times back.