what is this color anyway?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jack does not have the markings of a typical tabby cat. I finally got a picture that kind of shows his back and markings. What is this coloring or pattern called?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmm, let me see if I can get a better picture for you.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Side pics please!

If he has a bullseye on both sides (which I suspect he does) or near enough, I would call him a brown classic tabby and white....

If he has stripes going down from the spine then he's a brown mackeral tabby and white

Does that help at all?

OH and BTW the other cat is BLACK!!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

OH and BTW the other cat is BLACK!!
LOL, thank you. LOL. I was wondering what color her beautiful shiny fur is.

Working on pictures of Jack.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay, here is another picture of his back and his sides. It is VERY hard to get pictures of a moving playful kitten!!

And he is so much "fuzzier" than Raven was when I got her, maybe because of his age. I can't tell if he is going to have long or short hair. I do know that Raven is so soft and Jack is much more coarse. I am hoping that with good nutrition his coat will be softer and shiny like hers.

I am really curious as to his markings, like I said, I have never seen a cat like that, but here we just have "regular" farm bred cats mostly lol.

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's a classic tabby. I believe there are four tabby types: mackerel and classic are the most common, and sometimes you see spotted and striped.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown classic tabby and white - confirmed!

Considering that American Shorthairs originally came from the basic domestic population, it would not be uncommon to find some cats with classic markings!

As for the "fuzzy" coat, he appears to be in the "fugly" (fuzzy ugly) stage of kitten hood, I wouldn't worry about getting a smoother coat later on

He looks like a handful!

Here's a pic of one of my visitors currently residing in my home for the next week....

She's a nearly 5 month old silver tabby ( you don't need to mention Classic markings when registering a cat with CFA, it's understood!
) American Shorthair, currently undergoing quarantine in my home before she's sent back to Hong Kong...

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Brown classic tabby and white - confirmed!

Considering that American Shorthairs originally came from the basic domestic population, it would not be uncommon to find some cats with classic markings!

As for the "fuzzy" coat, he appears to be in the "fugly" (fuzzy ugly) stage of kitten hood, I wouldn't worry about getting a smoother coat later on

He looks like a handful!

Here's a pic of one of my visitors currently residing in my home for the next week....

She's a nearly 5 month old silver tabby ( you don't need to mention Classic markings when registering a cat with CFA, it's understood!
) American Shorthair, currently undergoing quarantine in my home before she's sent back to Hong Kong...
She is really pretty!
When do they grow out of the "fuggly" stage? Raven came here at 9 weeks with an already smooth and beautiful coat.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, now I'm confused. I had been told that the swirlying markings wer the makrel tabby & then stripes were the classic tabby? Is that backwards?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

OK, now I'm confused. I had been told that the swirlying markings wer the makrel tabby & then stripes were the classic tabby? Is that backwards?
Yes, that is backwards

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

She is really pretty!
When do they grow out of the "fuggly" stage? Raven came here at 9 weeks with an already smooth and beautiful coat.
Should be a couple of months still I should think. He looks to be around 10-12 weeks old so another couple of months should do it!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Should be a couple of months still I should think. He looks to be around 10-12 weeks old so another couple of months should do it!
Jack is actually only 7 1/2 weeks old.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehehehe - I'm so used to Aby babies that I don't know what other babies look like at that age

So, in any respect another couple of months should do it

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Swirly/marbled is classic tabby (us Europeans call it blotched).
Straight stripes like on a mackerel fish is the pattern called... mackerel.
Then you have spotted, nice dots/spots.
And the last tabby pattern is ticked, like the Abyssinian. Ticked cats don't have a clear pattern on their bodies, but look at the individual hairs and they will have little bars of color.