6yr old pee'd on bed!

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I was about to go to bed when I found a pee puddle on my sheet! It was definetely from Marcel our 6month old who has NEVER had an accident before, but when I pulled back the duvet I found out why he'd done it. There was a huge puddle of George pee! (our 6yr old male). He has never pee'd in the house before so i'm finding it really weird. The door to his cat flap was closed but he knows how to ask how to get out and he makes soooo much noise you can't miss it.

Did he get carried away playing with Marcel and accidently pee? Is he still p**sed at me for getting Marcel? Or does he have something more sinister
I'm pretty worried because this is totally out of character for him.

I have changed his dry food recently. Well i've got to get back to washing sheets, duvets and duvet covers!

Any help appreciated!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't do thing out of spite. So you can forget that reason. I would have the older one tested for a UTI. That is more common in older male cats who are only eating dry food or mostly dry food. Quality of the food plays a factor too. How do you know for sure who peed in which place if you didn't catch them in the act?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was thinking along the UTI line as well.

Marcel is still quite small so when he pees in his box it's only about a spoonfull. George on the otherhand pees a lot more. Sorry to be graphic but they also smelt completly different, the big patch much stronger. Even if it was only one cat doing the peeing i'm sure it was George because Marcel just can't pee that much.

It's the weekend here now, so are there any special signs I should like out for with George? He's an indoor/outdoor cat so it's a bit tricky to check up on how he's peeing because he won't use a litter box.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Have a good weekend...

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, our cat peed on the bed and we took him to the vet and they did a urinalysis and found he had crystals in his urine. Now we have him on a prescription food and had him rechecked and the crystals are all gone and he doesn't pee on the bed anymore. We also cleaned up the mattress with Nature's Miracle. I'd take both cats the the vet for a urinalysis. If it hurts them to go pee, they can start associating their litter box with pain.

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I went out this afternoon and Marcel was the only one with access to the bedroom. Now a few hours later I find more pee on the bed so it seems it's definetly Marcel.

My other half is definetely not going to want him to be a indoors cat after this!

SOonow i'm confused, could he have a uti so young?

Now we really don't have anything to sleep on because everything is wet, it's nearly night time and I can't get anything dry!grr

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others who suggested that you have your vet check both kitties right away to rule out infection.
If they are healthy, then you can address their behavior issues.
Sending vibes that this problem is cleared up quickly.

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Marcel just pee'd in his litter box normally, no meowing, circling, hesitating etc, now i'm thinking maybe George pee'd there in the morning when I didn't notice.

More investigating! One things for sure, bedroom door is staying closed! Which means we will be kept awake alllll night by scratching at the door.

Anybody notice how you allways have to go to the vets when your really really broke? We just bought a house which has completly cleared us out, they must feel it in the air or something!

Thanks all x

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clairebear3

More investigating! One things for sure, bedroom door is staying closed! Which means we will be kept awake alllll night by scratching at the door.

Anybody notice how you allways have to go to the vets when your really really broke? We just bought a house which has completly cleared us out, they must feel it in the air or something!
Dexter and Sadie won't tolerate a shut bedroom door.
Scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch

I think it's some kind of universal cat rule....
be broke, cat will need to see a vet.

More vibes on the way

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't figure out who it is, take them to the vet and have them both checked, that is CLASSIC UTI behaviour, and they can get it at any age, as far as I know age isn't a factor. Even though you saw one using the box normally, some still will sometimes, when mine had a UTI, he had it BAD, and he went in the box quite a bit still, but the only way to let me know he wasn't OK was to pee outside the box, so I reccomend a vet ASAP, a simple course of antibiotics could save you a lot of frustration, laundry and smelly bed, also save your poor boy a lot of pain, UTI's aren't nice for anyone.....and they are fairly common. I should also add that 6 isn't yound, my guy was only 7 when he got his. It's not necessarily a chronic thing, he's only had it the once and never a problem since I got it fixed up. I should also mention that I have spent over $1300 in vet bills!! (only around $100 on him) in the last three months and I'm a grad student making less then that monthly and living on my own.......they do know!!!!

GOod luck!!