New cat has arrived... are things going OK???

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never having introduced cats to one another, I would love to know your thoughts. I did have 2 Cornish Rex cats that lived together, but they were litter mates and grew up together. Well... Caluga (neutered Sphynx, 1 year old) arrived yesterday evening in his carrier. Because we live in a small, loft-type apartment, it was not possible to confine him to 1 room. He stayed in his carrier for a bit, while my dog came up to smell him. She is GREAT and has totally accepted him right off. Molly, resident, neutered Sphynx, 1 and a half years old, came up to sniff then ran upstairs to the top room. After a while I let Caluga into the bathroom with the door closed for about an hour, and Molly had a good smell through the door. We then let Caluga out and they met one another face to face... lots of face smelling and that sort of stuff. They have been together the whole night ~ I don't think they slept a wink ~ and there has been a little hissing, growling, but nothing too bad. They ate together this morning and no problem there. Caluga used the litter tray put out for him. Molly just follows Caluga all over the place, but doesn't sit with me anymore. Is this OK, and do you think he will go back to his normal cuddly self once he feels more confident? Do you think there is a chance that they could be good mates in the future???

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No scratching or loud name calling? If not - so far, so good.

She's going to follow him around, he's new, he's in her territory -probably putting his icky paws and scent on everything (from her point of view). So she's making sure he doesn't do anything bad.

Don't worry, after the newness wears off they'll remember you.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the introductions went really well. Some hissing and growling is completely normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the positive feedback
. They have spent the entire day hanging around together... they slept on two chairs that are pushed up together, so while not on the same chair at least they were right next door to one another. I am just holding thumbs that it keeps on going well!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far is sounds good. I'd just be sure both have their nails clipped (front and back) and maybe give both a bath in the same shampoo.

Post pictures of the two when you can

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

So far is sounds good. I'd just be sure both have their nails clipped (front and back) and maybe give both a bath in the same shampoo.

Post pictures of the two when you can
Thank you
. I made sure that both cats' nails were clipped before the introduction, and I will definitely be checking them each week. The pic would be easy, as they are always with each other... my resident cat won't leave poor Caluga's side alone for a second, the only problem is I don't have a camera, but will try to take a pic with my daughter's phone!