Nooooo!!! That's not fair!!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I spent a good part of last weekend finishing my bedroom.... the most important part of which was sewing a giant floor pillow to put in the corner of the room. I finished it and was really proud of myself.

Tonight, I come home and sat on my bed and suddenly noticed.... something smells funny... I investigate and guess what...

One of the cats has peed on my floor pillow!!!

Not a little pee either... it went right through the pillow (which is almost a foot thick)

That pillow is huge, and cannot possibly fit in the washer.
Right now it's sitting in a bath tub full of soapy water and I'll see what that will do.

It's not fair. I've been feeling pretty down lately and I did NOT need that.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

I spent a good part of last weekend finishing my bedroom.... the most important part of which was sewing a giant floor pillow to put in the corner of the room. I finished it and was really proud of myself.

Tonight, I come home and sat on my bed and suddenly noticed.... something smells funny... I investigate and guess what...

One of the cats has peed on my floor pillow!!!

Not a little pee either... it went right through the pillow (which is almost a foot thick)

That pillow is huge, and cannot possibly fit in the washer.
Right now it's sitting in a bath tub full of soapy water and I'll see what that will do.

It's not fair. I've been feeling pretty down lately and I did NOT need that.
Awww i'm sorry. But you should know as a crazy cat person, you can't have anything nice in the house

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry
Maybe you can douse it good with an enzyme cleaner to combat the smell.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Oh no! That's definitely unfair. Guess someone else wanted the pillow for his or her own.
I agree! A kitty claimed that pillow!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww i'm sorry hon!
I had a problem a few months back with Jasmine urinating outside of the litter pan as a result of some UTI issues.

Have your kitties had UTI's/medicial issues ruled out? (just before we assume it's behavioral). If so...i found that Nature's Miracle in the wash (you could put some in your bath tub and let the pillow soak in it) or any other enzyme cleaner should help get the odor out just fine!
No fretting!! It should be ok after a nice soak!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!!!!Oh no!!!!! That is terrible! I hope it turns out ok. You're probably not anywhere warm either are you??? Sun drying the pillow would help if it was warm.

If soaking doesn't work, do you have a laundry place or cleaners that have something big enough to clean it? Enzo peed on my nice leather coat and it can't be washed with anything wet. The cleaners really do a nice job and I think they could possibly help you if you have the $$$. That's the down side.

I hope the soaking works out for you!!! Bad kitty!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

It should be ok after a nice soak!
I don't know about that. She said the cushion is about a foot thick and the urine went through it. That will be hard if not impossible to get out. Cats are very sensitive to smells and while the cushion may look clean on the outside after soaking, there is a good chance that the inside of that cushion will continue to have a urine smell that the cat can detect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I'll try cleaning and if it doesn't work, I'll just replace the fluff inside the pillow.

I've had these cats for over two years and they have NEVER peed outside the litter box before. I think this one might be due to the confusion of things being moved around during re-decorating, and the fact that I forgot to clean the litter boxes yesterday.

But if it happens again, I'll take them to the vet right away.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unless someone is doing in other places, I would bet it just cause it was new pillow.
One of mine did that several months ago when i picked up a new pillow for the bed..

Good luck

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it soaked through I would just take the stuffing out now and give the cover a good soak in enzyme cleanser...that just stinks (literally and figuratively).

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats sucks. I've had cats pee on my luggage and I scrubbed that area and let the bags sit out in the sun to dry. But that doesn't work this time of year.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had one pee on my mattress. I blotted up as much as I could, then doused it down with a good enzyme cleaner. I washed my bedclothes in the enzyme cleaner and let the fan dry my mattress for 2 days. The smell is gone, the bed is dry, and the culprit (I think) has not gone near the bed ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I cut the cushion open and transfered half of the fluff in the cover. So now I have two smaller cushions - each of which just barely fits in the washer.

I bought a bottle of nature's miracle and put a good amount in the washer. Once the cushion is dry and repaired, I'll put more nature's miracle on it. And for a while, I'll put a laundry basket on top of the cushion while I'm not using it. Hopefully that will do it.

Still, the cats are grounded.
I'm not to sure exactly HOW I can ground them since they're indoor only cats... but I'll figure something out.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh hun that sucks! I know how it feels..... my girlies decided to open their flood gates on a brand new duvet that I got for Christmas last year (on boxing day, in fact and while I was stell sleeping under it!!).... and it hasn't quite been the same since it went around the washer.
I wish I had a suggestion to get the smell out, but I'm afraid all i can offer is a hug