Wild Kingdom - right outside my office!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a visitor at our office today...and it appears that a bluejay makes an excellent lunch. At least to this feller, a red-tailed hawk:

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We love birds! That Red Tailed Hawk is gorgeous

Its nice that you got to see that outside your office window!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love birds too - had birds as pets for over 30 years before becoming a cat slave.

But it was sad at the same time - the birdie ate another birdie, and we saw it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Hawks .... Well all raptors ... wanted to do rehab and found out I am HIGHLY allergic to Birds ...
.. So I have other creatures... lol.. fish are truely hypo allergenic

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You sure its a redtail hawk? Looks a little like a periguine falcon to me
Actually, yes, I am 100% sure.

We have about 5 birding books in the office, as we overlook a wooded patch, and we have binoculars in the office and have lots of fun spotting and identifying new visitors. The books have full-color photos that allow us to exactly identify each bird, and whether or not they are male/female.

This one appears to be a male, as it is on the smallish side. The red tail can only be seen from above.

We keep several birdfeeders full all year long for our viewing pleasure.

BTW - I was an avian enthusiast for 30 years before becoming a cat slave.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red-Tailed Hawks are native to New England. Falcons are not.

Several species of raptor do closely resemble each other, but please remember, you are only looking at a poorly taken photo here. I've seen this bird up close through binoculars, from less than 50 feet away physically.

But hey - call it what you want, the bottom line is, it's a really cool Red-Tailed Hawk that ate a Bluejay while I watched.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is true. Its not a good photo. One big difference (when he flys) is whether the wings are more rounded and wide or narrow and pointed. Hawks have a wider/rounded wing feathers

We had a pair of RT's in our backyard in the country. Was cool to watch them survey for food from the one "hawk tree". You'd see them sitting up there high and all of a sudden take off - usually for rabbits.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hawks are always so pretty! Poor blue jay
I've always been partial to them. My granny had one as a pet for the longest time. They live for YEARS! He loved cheetos. I know, they are illegal to keep as pets technically, my granny is from Italy and it's legal there, so she brought him to the US with her.