He's eating almonds. What weird things does you cat eat?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had Frankie for over a year and he was never interested in eating any people food and then last night my husband was eating handful of almonds and Frankie crawled onto his lap and was so interested in the almonds in his hand so my husband tossed one onto the floor. To our amazement, he hopped down there and chewed it up and ate it right up and now is bugging my DH whenever he gets some more almonds.

What weird things do your cats eat?

BTW, I don't think we should give him too many cuz he's on a prescription diet that keeps him from getting crystals in his urine and that food is working wonderfully so I don't want to give him anything that might be bad for him.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give him any more - cyanide comes from almonds and the nuts may not be processed quite the same in cats' systems as it is in humans (and you're right about crystals, too).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Don't give him any more - cyanide comes from almonds and the nuts may not be processed quite the same in cats' systems as it is in humans (and you're right about crystals, too).
Wow, I'm glad I wrote about this. We thought it was funny but had no clue that it could be dangerous or bad for him. Thank you so much for the information!!

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Juniper loves chips. Potato chips or tortilla chips. When he smells the bag, he meows and tries to stick his head in it, no matter where the bag is. We don't feed him any, but the occasional crumb or piece breaks off and heads to the floor, and ZOOM he snatches it and *crunch crunch crunch*.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB girl Lizzie loved bread and ice cubes.
I'll never forget the way I discovered her love of bread.
I had gone to the grocery store, my Husband was at work so it was just me bringing the groceries into the house.
The first bunch of bags I brought it had a couple of loaves of bread in it.
I went back outside to get more bags and by the time I came back in she'd ripped the plastic off the bread and had eaten 4 or so slices and there were at least 3 or more other slices torn up all over the kitchen floor.

I was chopping onions on Thanksgiving and a small piece fell on the floor, before I could pick it up Elliott had eaten it and sat there begging for more.

I've never found a food that Gracie won't eat.

Annabelle won't eat any people food at all.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Sohni eats granola and cereal. I have a bowl of dry cereal or granola with me when I read, and Sohni sticks his head into the bowl to pull out flakes everytime my back is turned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

My RB girl Lizzie loved bread and ice cubes.
I'll never forget the way I discovered her love of bread.
I had gone to the grocery store, my Husband was at work so it was just me bringing the groceries into the house.
The first bunch of bags I brought it had a couple of loaves of bread in it.
I went back outside to get more bags and by the time I came back in she'd ripped the plastic off the bread and had eaten 4 or so slices and there were at least 3 or more other slices torn up all over the kitchen floor.

I was chopping onions on Thanksgiving and a small piece fell on the floor, before I could pick it up Elliott had eaten it and sat there begging for more.

I've never found a food that Gracie won't eat.

Annabelle won't eat any people food at all.
I would have loved to see that bread episode.

Onions??!! I've never seen any animal that liked onions. Wow.

I'm glad Frankie doesn't like chips cuz we always have bags of chips sitting on the counter with just a clip on the top. When we first adopted him I had everything put away in the cupboards but after I found that Frankie didn't like people food, the chips and crackers ended up back down in the corner on the counter and cookies are on top of the microwave.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Onions are dangerous for dogs and cats.

My cat pretty much eats ANYTHING, yes, even as an adult. She is not picky at all. She will even eat your salad if you leave it unattended for a second. As much as she can.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Almonds have cyanide?!
I'm not sure if I want to eat them anymore, either!

You learn something new every day at TCS!

Most of my furbabies like potato chips, tortilla chips, etc., (I guess it's the salt in 'em
), but I won't let them eat the stuff very often.
They especially like Cheetos..

I used to have a cat that just loved bananas. And another one that loved M&Ms (this was before I knew that chocolate could be toxic to a cat). I'd let him have one or two every once in awhile, b/c he woudn't leave me alone till he got one.
But I quit doing it after I found out it could harm him..

Maverick is my little Italian kitty: he loves anything that has tomatoes in in - like spaghetti sauce, lasagna, etc. Geronimo likes peanuts, or peanut butter (they're not poisonous too, are they?
). Gabriel has a sweet tooth, and like cookies & cake. Winchester doesn't like any "people" food - not even tuna: he doesn't like most cat food, either - he's the fussy one of the bunch.
I haven't come across anything weird that Spencer will eat, but if you throw it on the floor, he'll eat it (he's the one who always takes the food out of the bowl, and eats it off the floor!
). I'm guessing that he eats that way b/c that's how he used to eat - off the ground - before we rescued him from the Wal-Mart parking lot..

~KK~

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pong loves Klondike bars. Hubby gets on peace when he is eating on.

Ping loves Hawiaan Bread and pork rinds. I was eating pork rinds just the other day and Ping stuck his paw in there stole one and ran to the other side of the livingroom to eat it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I am an advocate of giving nuts to cats, but Wikipedia said domestic almonds DO NOT have cyanide in them. Bitter Almonds do... and wild almonds - as do apple seeds, and the soft seed inside a peach pit.

Best to ask your vet about it.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bread, potato chips, asparagus and corn on the cob
. We daren't leave a bag of bread lying around anywhere, as Molly will eat his way through the packet to get to the bread.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sphynx

Bread, potato chips, asparagus and corn on the cob
. We daren't leave a bag of bread lying around anywhere, as Molly will eat his way through the packet to get to the bread.
I used to have a bread "thief", too. I don't recall who it was (I think it was either BuffPuff or Cheeto), but I had to hide the bread in the microwave so they couldn't get to it: they'd chew right through the bag..

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, my parents had bread loving cat. They thought that putting the loaves on the top shelf in the cabinet would be enough to keep him out of bread.... We came home one day to a bread massacre, bits of bread and plastic all over the kitchen.
The cat actually ate very little but must have been annoyed at their attempts to hide it from him.

Tomas likes raw turnip greens and Sho will beg for jerky (only allowed to occasionally have a tiny piece of natural/non preservative added kind).

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sadie loves fresh green or yellow beans and romaine lettuce. I've got a veggie-loving girl!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah loves cheese! When she hears the package open, she comes running and begs for a bite!

flinni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Millie loves dried spaghetti. I gave her a stick to play with one day when I was cooking, after about 1 minute it had all gone and she was meowing for more. This is especially strange, as she is probably the fussiest eater I have ever seen, to the extent that she won't eat 90% of regular cat food

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my boy sterling liked popcorn, I would give him just the soft round part
no kernals, also the very tip of bugles, combos, cracker and cheese, and a good steak once in a while, my gril minca loves ham, and turkey,
only hickory farms, in the package... good kitties