worried: jojo isn't her usual self

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days back I noticed JoJo wasn't cleaning herself at the 'business end' of things... so today I tried, unsuccessfully, mind you, to give her a bath. This is my first time trying to bathe a cat... didn't work well... she ended up wet, in the litter box. I took her to a groomer, who gave her another bath and shaved her belly (since it was covered in clumping litter) and bum. she perked up a bit for a while, I gave her some treats and fed her wet food as usual. She did actually come and sit on my lap a little while later, but then curled up on the bed and slept. When I put dry food down a few minutes ago, she didn't budge. She lifted her head and looked at me, I walked over to her and she was still breathing noticeably. I'm freaking out now. She has always bounced back relatively quickly from things like vet visits, no matter the traumatization she gets... this worries me.

Now i know of only two reasons she could be not cleaning certain areas:
1. since she's a little heavy, she may now be having difficulty reaching. Although she has been this way for some time and never had problems before.
2. she is showing signs of illness. which is what worries me. she has ALWAYS been the healthy one over Jack. he has had more problems over the years...

she is nearly six, about 15 pounds... she's been that weight for at least a couple years... no matter what I've done, restricting food and such, she stays the weight. she isn't a very active cat... never has been much... although she was more active a few years ago... of course, she was younger then.

I'm now bawling my eyes out typing this... because I am wigging out a bit... if I wait until morning, I can't take her to the vet since it's the opposite direction from my work... there is an e-vet nearby, but I would not want to cram her into the carrier again... so soon after this afternoon's bit at the groomer.

Anyone have any ideas? advice? I'm worried about her... with the sudden stop in grooming and all... she is normally fastidious in her grooming.

edit: she just got up... and came into the office, making a new spot under a chair in the corner.

Amanda

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet visit sounds like a good idea, with her size it wouldn't be good if she goes off meals all together (did she end up eating?). Also- was she sedated or anesthetized when the groomer trimmed her belly and rear? Sometimes overweight kitties can be sensitive to that.

As for getting her to lose weight, have you tried pm'ing sharky about specific foods and calorie restriction? Anything to start getting her to lose some.

Once she's feeling better, keep at her to try to get her to play. Even if it seems like you're playing with the toys more than she is. Roust her up out of some of her naps, even if she just walks off to a quieter part of the house that's some walking she wouldn't have done while sleeping.

I hope JoJo was ok and she just wasn't feeling like eating after her busy day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she's still not eating wet food. I believe she is impacted, so I'm dropping her at the vet this morning before work so they can work on clearing things out...

she was not sedated... and from what they told me afterward, she was really NOT happy about the whole thing, namely the bath, but I don't think she was pleased about the shave either. She's never been a 'belly cat' but in the last year or so, she lets me rub/touch her belly more and more, same with carrying her. she never let me do that before.

Last night, at Petsmart picking up stuff, I got Da Bird. I didn't open up the package last night, but if there is time tonight (midnight tonight is a deadline for a writing thing, so when it rains, it pours), I'll pull it out and get them to play.

The problem with food restrictions is that I have two cats. Jack is now hovering around 12 pounds, so he's nice and healthy... he was underweight a few years ago, so with one skinny kitty and one heavy kitty it was impossible. I'm not giving them so much wet food anymore... a tiny teaspoon in the morning (some mornings) and evenings when i get home. And then a total of maybe two cups of dry food (high quality stuff, not junk food), given two or three times a day (1/2 morning, half evening, then full cup at bedtime). I cannot be home all day to monitor who eats how much... and don't have the space to really sequester them while they eat.

It really is more of an exercise thing. Same for myself, so I can't lecture them...

she barely plays with the laser pointer anymore... hasn't for ages... partly she's too smart and knows where that little red dot comes from...

I had better go corral a kitty into her carrier now... she won't be happy... but that's normal for her... she hates the carrier.

Amanda

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I'm not giving them so much wet food anymore... a tiny teaspoon in the morning (some mornings) and evenings when i get home. And then a total of maybe two cups of dry food (high quality stuff, not junk food), given two or three times a day (1/2 morning, half evening, then full cup at bedtime). Amanda
That may be part of your problem - wet food would certainly help your kitty lose weight. The dry food tends to be very high in calories and fillers. Unless it is a premium dry food they will also need to eat more of it to get their daily requirements of protein so they will gain weight.

Since I moved Bijou and Mika to a wet food diet morning and night (Merrick) and changed their dry food to a quality dry and now limit them to 1/2 cup per day to share between them, Bijou has lost 1.3 lbs at last weigh-in. Mika is maintaining her weight beautifully. Bijou was 18.5 (now 17.2) lbs and Mika is just over 8.5.

The wet diet is much healthier also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

That may be part of your problem - wet food would certainly help your kitty lose weight. The dry food tends to be very high in calories and fillers. Unless it is a premium dry food they will also need to eat more of it to get their daily requirements of protein so they will gain weight.

Since I moved Bijou and Mika to a wet food diet morning and night (Merrick) and changed their dry food to a quality dry and now limit them to 1/2 cup per day to share between them, Bijou has lost 1.3 lbs at last weigh-in. Mika is maintaining her weight beautifully. Bijou was 18.5 (now 17.2) lbs and Mika is just over 8.5.

The wet diet is much healthier also.
Here's the problem with doing more wet: jack has crystals in his urine... so in order to keep him from forming a UTI, same with JoJo (whose Ph levels, or something to that effect, were a little off), I give them Wysong Uretic, mixed with a couple other dry foods. None of the foods I give them are cruddy foods. I don't feed Whiskas or any other lower quality foods. I check the protein % as opposed to the Carbs...

Also, JoJo doesn't always like wet food. Sometimes she will take a couple bites, sometimes she will eat the whole dish, and sometimes, she sniffs and walks away. that is the way she is.

The vet has me continuing the snack of wet morning and evening, and then 1/4 cup each cat, two feedings. I may work my way down to that, by doing three feedings, and then slowly down to two... I better go invest in some earplugs... JoJo will not be happy... she weighed in this morning at 16 pounds... she has gained. no wonder her carrier seemed even heavier this week... yeesh, girly... you need a diet.

Other than weight, she is fine. no diabetes, not impacted... she's just a big girl... well, that will change.

Amanda