Best OTC GERD meds/acid prevenatives or reduces?? Need help!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I'm in a bit of a bind! My health insurance went out not too long ago when i turned 22. So i am going to purchase some temp. insurance just for emergencies (like a hospital visit). It doesn't cover medicine/prescriptions. I will be getting married in March...so once i'm married- i'll go on my hubby's insurance long term- so that's taken care of.

In the mean time though- i am really hurting! I have severe GERD - I have to take a double dose of Zegarid (it's an acide reducer/prevenative- it works amazingly well for me!) every day just to keep it under control...otherwise the symptoms are non-stop. I have altared my diet, inscreased exercise/etc...nothing helps but the medicine. I can not have GERD surgery as I also have some other GI issues -and where it would help one issue, it would make the others worse..so surgery isn't going to help.

Zegarid is pretty expensive without prescription insurance coverage. I simply can't afford it with the wedding and everything else comming up. My doctor gives me free samples so i can double dose my medicine. So i can certainly call and ask for some more samples (i'm all out)....but i also need something else for my morning dose. I've tried quite a few prescriptions previously- Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, as well as many otc options as well- Nothing has helped really. The only thing that does help is my normal prescription.

Since i can't afford to get it at the moment and my new insurance will kick in soon, i'd like to try and find an OTC item to take in addition to my nightly prescription. Any ideas?? What OTC acid reducers/prevenatives work for you???

(i will of course run this by my doctor before i mix medications- but i'd like some suggestions!)

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take Ranidadine (Zantac). My GERD is pretty bad, and the Zantac doesn't completely control it (unfortunately) but right now for me it's the best that I can do because I *know* I can take it during pregnancy. I'm also in a bit of a bind because I have IBS in addition, and some of the other solutions for GERD (including antacids) irritate my IBS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

I take Ranidadine (Zantac). My GERD is pretty bad, and the Zantac doesn't completely control it (unfortunately) but right now for me it's the best that I can do because I *know* I can take it during pregnancy. I'm also in a bit of a bind because I have IBS in addition, and some of the other solutions for GERD (including antacids) irritate my IBS
I've been taking Zantac 150 (the new "cooling" one) twice a day (with my doctor's ok) and it's done nothing
I just took my dose for the night a little while ago- and i've already vomited once

(I have Gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying), a hitaial hernia, and IBS with diarrhea (sorry if that's tmi! but i have to be careful what i take as some things make my GI issues worse)

(Just wanted to add- ohh my goodness, your ticker's great -you're SOO close to having your baby!! Awww how exciting!!
)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol well i can tell you that grandma was right,
i can eat 4 rolaids or one glass of milk, the milk sounds and taste better, for me.
now granted it does not always work, but it does most of the time for me.
but oops i forgot about you being lactose intolerant so yea, milk not good idea.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol well i can tell you that grandma was right,
i can eat 4 rolaids or one glass of milk, the milk sounds and taste better, for me.
now granted it does not always work, but it does most of the time for me.
but oops i forgot about you being lactose intolerant so yea, milk not good idea.
Yea i think when we have kids i'm going to tell them Santa is Lactose Intolerant and they have to leave him Lactaid Milk
(have you ever seen "the santa clause?")

I'm glad the milk helps you though- that's good! It wouldn't do a thing for me though aside from make me sick. The prescription i normally take though is amazing- when i take it-i'm symptom free- when i miss a dose though, man i get sick! I'm just trying to make it through the next 3 months without having to shell out a fortune for another medication...i may have to though

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is a tough one. I have GERD, esophogeal paralysis and ulcers, as well as chronic active gastritis.

My gastroenterologist said that Zantac only works for 14 days, then stops working. He was really mad when the studies came out. Then never did long term studies until about 4 years ago. my reply was...well no wonder my stomach feel like crud!.

He also said that the next best thing to the scripts is the Prilosec OTC. It doesn't agree with me though. I don't know why but it exacerbates my vomiting. Aciphex is what works best for me, but it is about $160 a month.

What I have found works relatively well is plain old Tums, at least it makes me feel better. I haven't had a scope recently so I don't know if all is a bloody mess inside or not.

I am sorry you have such bad intestinal troubles, I can empathsize.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can go to the company who makes your prescription med, and see if they have a program for people without prescription insurance (you'd be surprised at who qualifies sometimes
) and see if they can help. In the meantime, if it is only for until you get married and have prescription coverage then, if your doctor doesn't mind, I would continue to get the samples...Nexium is what I take, but you said that doesn't work for you so...sorry! I can't help there...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

this is a tough one. I have GERD, esophogeal paralysis and ulcers, as well as chronic active gastritis.

My gastroenterologist said that Zantac only works for 14 days, then stops working. He was really mad when the studies came out. Then never did long term studies until about 4 years ago. my reply was...well no wonder my stomach feel like crud!.

He also said that the next best thing to the scripts is the Prilosec OTC. It doesn't agree with me though. I don't know why but it exacerbates my vomiting. Aciphex is what works best for me, but it is about $160 a month.

What I have found works relatively well is plain old Tums, at least it makes me feel better. I haven't had a scope recently so I don't know if all is a bloody mess inside or not.

I am sorry you have such bad intestinal troubles, I can empathsize.
Yikes
You poor thing- your GI issues sound as nasty as mine
I've had just about every test in the book done on my GI areas ....gastric emptying, several scopes (both upper and lower), CT scans, ultra sounds of my stomach area, the implant thing where they put the device on your esophagus and you wear a monitor on your belt (oh my gosh i HATED that!- my acid levels were insanely high though- so at least they got good readings from it- we're talking in the 90's).

The tums (i like the smoothie ones) only help for a few moments and then my symptoms act up. It doesn't prevent it and that's what i need. Zantac now that you've explained it - makes sense that it's wearing off so fast on me.

I've tried Prilosec (prescription at the time)....and it didn't work well for me...but i may try the OTC version and just see if i can get a little relief. My Zegarid is about the same price as your prescription i believe (without insurance). Kind of pricy for me right now when i'm trying to save...i may just have to get it though- i've never gone this long without it, and i'm feeling soo crummy
Thanks for trying to help
I hope your GI issues get better!

Originally Posted by catsallover

You can go to the company who makes your prescription med, and see if they have a program for people without prescription insurance (you'd be surprised at who qualifies sometimes
) and see if they can help. In the meantime, if it is only for until you get married and have prescription coverage then, if your doctor doesn't mind, I would continue to get the samples...Nexium is what I take, but you said that doesn't work for you so...sorry! I can't help there...
I will try and see if i can do that!Thankyou for the suggestion.
They gave me a cupon for a discount on the medicine the last time i was at my doctors office- i think i may just have to buy it and use the cupon- i can't go without it i'm starting to think....i've been vomiting all evening.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, have you tried Protonix? It's prescription and I don't know the cost but see if your doctor has some samples of it that you can try. I usually use Prilosec but when my reflux gets real bad I switch to the Protonix.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zegerid and Prilosec are both proton pump inhibitors, which have the same active ingredient, omeprazole. The only difference between the two is that Zegerid is formulated for immediate release and Prilosec is timed release. Zegerid is 40mg, but I'm not sure what the OTC formulation of Prilosec is. You might be able to use the smoothie formulation of the Tums to get you over the initial symptoms of the GERD until the OTC timed release Prilosec starts to work. I also had horrible GERD with esophogeal ulceration. The only thing that worked for me was Prevacid, which is another proton pump inhibitor (PPI). I had surgery about 7 years ago, which included a Nissin Fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair, and I haven't needed any medication since then.

Good luck. I hope you can find something to work for you. March is a long time away to deal with something that makes you as uncomfortable as GERD!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the MAKER of the RX medicine ... You may be able to use the pratnership for america( comething like that) which gives free or greatly reduced $$ meds to people who are in need..

Is your asthma under control???

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an issue of the same. When Nexium was brand new, it was really expensive, and it wasn't covered by my insurance. So I ended up going with Prilosec OTC.. It's exactly the same medicine as Nexium just a cheaper version of it.. It worked great for me..

I don't have to take it anymore.. I had bariatric surgery in March,, and lost a lot of weight, and my GERD is gone. Thank god!

But Prilosec OTC worked great for me!!! Hope that helps!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way back when I was in my 20's I was diagnosed with duodenal ulcer. Back then Tagmet was prescription but has been OTC for a while. When it acts up I either chew on 3-4 Tums, I take 2 200 mg Tagmet (store brand). But sometimes that doesn't work fast enough so I take a good tsp of baking soda in about 4 oz of warm water with a water chaser. That stuff works in a couple of minutes!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Way back when I was in my 20's I was diagnosed with duodenal ulcer. Back then Tagmet was prescription but has been OTC for a while. When it acts up I either chew on 3-4 Tums, I take 2 200 mg Tagmet (store brand). But sometimes that doesn't work fast enough so I take a good tsp of baking soda in about 4 oz of warm water with a water chaser. That stuff works in a couple of minutes!!
Have you tried a round of antibiotics with an acid reducer? If you haven't been to a doctor for that recently you may want to have that checked out as there's usually a bacteria link/cause in ulcers and some chronic stomach problems.

I've tried practically everything OTC -short of double dosing on Prilosec so that it's at 40mgs, probably going to try that since I'm having horribly stomach pain lately and can't take my naproxen (probably what's making it worse).
I have found some relief from drinking plenty of water to dilute and keep my stomach from cramping worse when empty.

Ask your doc if double doses will help and if there's any new research in that area concerning diet/irritants. Never know.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Nikki, have you tried Protonix? It's prescription and I don't know the cost but see if your doctor has some samples of it that you can try. I usually use Prilosec but when my reflux gets real bad I switch to the Protonix.
Protinix didn't do a thing for me- my GI doctor tried me on it for a while to see if it would help
He gave me samples of Prilosec a while back and that did nothing for me eithor- but i can't remember what strength it was- i'm going to call tomorrow on my day off and talk to him and see if the OTC may be an option at this point and if i can get some more Zegarid samples. I was sick all day today- i can't go without something to help-i may just have to do without to get the Zegarid at this point.

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Zegerid and Prilosec are both proton pump inhibitors, which have the same active ingredient, omeprazole. The only difference between the two is that Zegerid is formulated for immediate release and Prilosec is timed release. Zegerid is 40mg, but I'm not sure what the OTC formulation of Prilosec is. You might be able to use the smoothie formulation of the Tums to get you over the initial symptoms of the GERD until the OTC timed release Prilosec starts to work. I also had horrible GERD with esophogeal ulceration. The only thing that worked for me was Prevacid, which is another proton pump inhibitor (PPI). I had surgery about 7 years ago, which included a Nissin Fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair, and I haven't needed any medication since then.

Good luck. I hope you can find something to work for you. March is a long time away to deal with something that makes you as uncomfortable as GERD!!!
Zegarid also has sodium bicarbonate (baking soda essentially) which helps it speed wise. Since my symptoms are soo bad, i really like the rapid relief i get with Zegarid- it works amazingly well and really quickly. Some of the other ones take soo long to phase me, i suffer the entire time i'm on them. Tums do not help me much, but sometimes if i'm desperate i'll take a few. Prevacid didn't even phase me when i was put on that as a sample to see if it would help. (the black and pink one if i remember right-whatever strength that was- he told me to take it twice daily...it didn't help.) I would LOVE to have the GERD surgery, but my GI doctor can't do it on me as it will make my other GI issues worse. I'm soo glad you were able to get the help you needed though- that's great hon!
I get paid tomorrow, so i might try the prilosec otc and just see if it helps this time since it is similar to Zegarid. If not though, i'm going to just shell out the cash and not worry over the wedding/etc and get my medicine

Originally Posted by sharky

Call the MAKER of the RX medicine ... You may be able to use the pratnership for america( comething like that) which gives free or greatly reduced $$ meds to people who are in need..

Is your asthma under control???
I don't qualify for Montel's PPA program (already checked when my insurance was about to expire a while ago and i was looking for temporary assistance.) It does help a lot of other people though- so that is good. I just wish i was able to use something in the mean time. Fortunately i do have a cupon for my Zegarid so i should be able to save a little $ with it when i get it refilled.

My asthma is great- thankfully! I haven't had any problems with it in a while.

Originally Posted by angelkitty

I had an issue of the same. When Nexium was brand new, it was really expensive, and it wasn't covered by my insurance. So I ended up going with Prilosec OTC.. It's exactly the same medicine as Nexium just a cheaper version of it.. It worked great for me..

I don't have to take it anymore.. I had bariatric surgery in March,, and lost a lot of weight, and my GERD is gone. Thank god!

But Prilosec OTC worked great for me!!! Hope that helps!!
Nexium didn't phase me eithor - it's over priced and didn't help my symptoms at all. That being said - it is different from Prilosec as far as ingredients go - they are not the same thing...could be why it didn't help you. Nexium is formulated with esomeprazole magnesium and prilosec's main ingredient is omeprazole. I think GERD meds with omeprazole are better (at least for my symptoms). The difference between Zegarid (what i prefer) and prilosec is that zegarid has sodium bicarbonate- and that helps with the rapid release- and seems to work better for me overall. I'm glad the prilosec helped you- hopefully it will help me until i can get on insurance with prescription coverage when i'm married.

Originally Posted by GailC

I tried the baking soda trick on its own several times (as well as some other household tricks i'd read about.) It didn't work no the occassions i tried it. But for some reason- the Zegarid worked well- there's baking soda in it (sodium bicarbonate)- and i guess the way its formulated, all the ingredients work together
I dunno why- when i take the Zegarid it helps, but baking soda on its own didn't help me. I'm a weirdo!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you tried a round of antibiotics with an acid reducer? If you haven't been to a doctor for that recently you may want to have that checked out as there's usually a bacteria link/cause in ulcers and some chronic stomach problems.

I've tried practically everything OTC -short of double dosing on Prilosec so that it's at 40mgs, probably going to try that since I'm having horribly stomach pain lately and can't take my naproxen (probably what's making it worse).
I have found some relief from drinking plenty of water to dilute and keep my stomach from cramping worse when empty.

Ask your doc if double doses will help and if there's any new research in that area concerning diet/irritants. Never know.
I go to my GI doctor regurally- i have tried protonix as far as the bacteria goes as he thought it might help. It didn't phase me but it did wind up making my IBS/Gastroparesis worse so i had to stop
I don't drink soft drinks at all- rarely ever have caffine anymore, i have altared my diet a ton in recent months to my doctors suggestions to help reduce my GERD and other GI symptoms....so as far as diet goes- i've done all i can to help in that aspect- the rest needs to be helped medical wise.

I have increased the amount of exercise i've been doing recently - but i've yet to get any relief just yet. The only thing that's helped is a double dose of Zegarid- so since the active ingredient in Zegarid is the same as prilosec minus the sodium bicarbonate- i'm hoping maybe a double dose of that will help
I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what he wants me to do as far as it goes!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zantac is what we give in the hospital. You can get it now without a prescription.

The standard dose we give in the hospital is 150mg twice per day. The over the counter ones are 75mg. So you can take 2 of those twice a day... morning and night.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Zantac is what we give in the hospital. You can get it now without a prescription.

The standard dose we give in the hospital is 150mg twice per day. The over the counter ones are 75mg. So you can take 2 of those twice a day... morning and night.
I've been taking Zantac 150 (the new cooling one) twice a day -but it doesn't help my symptoms much. It takes a long while to kick in for me, and it doesn't help much. I still have issues with reflux and vomiting even with the Zantac.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I still have issues with reflux and vomiting even with the Zantac.
Do you think it's possible that because your stomach doesn't empty normally that some acid reducers are doing too much reducing(hypochlorhydria), leading to the vomiting?

Omeprazole and esomeprazole really aren't that different -look at the molecule models and formula. The very slight change let the drug company repatent for longer to make more money. Probably why if one doesn't work for you the other isn't helpful either.
Have you tried rabeprazole?
What local prescription plans are there in your state/local pharmacies? I could have sworn even walmart has one.

Btw, the bacteria bit was meant for Gail's problem. I don't think that's a major factor in your gastric problems since it's more of a function problem. And have you ever made a list of all your health problems, from minor to more major and looked for links between them, or had a doctor look?