Is it a big deal that my cat nibbles on Iams?

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's a horrible food, but this is what my roomie feeds her cats and for some reason her cat eats all the dry nutro (my cat's food) right away (I think it's a dominance thing and he's a little sh*t). Then my cat gets hungry throughout the day and nibbles their Iams. She also eats half-1 can of Wellness or Nutro wet a day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well it seems she is using it as a treat ... I would try to convert the roomate... but the iams wont hurt

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams is NOT a horrible food - there are worse. I used to feed Iams to my rexes for years with no problems - they were healthy and top show cats too. When Iams went more commercial, they started to slack off on the quality, but its really not a horrible food.

I now feed Royal Canin.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Goldenkitty Iams is not a horrible food. There are many other foods much worse.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I have to agree with Goldenkitty Iams is not a horrible food. There are many other foods much worse.
I agree. Unless you notice any digestive problems, I wouldn't worry at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay, good. It is the kitten formula, so I hope she doesn't fatten up, but maybe I'll forward my roomie some sites about what Iams does as far as animal testing and she'll switch to Nutro.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UGH I have the same problem!!!!! Unfortunately, my roommate feeds her cat Dry Meow Mix (eww) and her fatty cat eats all of my kittens nutro (speak of the devil, he just came into my room, looking for food again)!!! I can't convert my roomie to something better either, because she can't afford it (or just doesn't care). I don't know if there's much you can do about it. I usually just keep my kittens food bowl in my room and put it away if I see my roomies cat come in my room.

Iams isn't horrible, but there are better brands. I had to buy a bag of Iams a couple weeks ago. I started putting out the Iams during the day, knowing my roomies cat was going to eat most of it anyway. I put out Nutro for my kitten, at night, when both he and the bowl are shut in my room. Luckily, my kittens tummy adapts easily to change, so I'm able to rotate his food like that.

-Kristen

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed a 4/5 mix of Iams kitten and Innova EVO. The EVO is pretty rich and I don't want any upset kitten bellies, and as said above Iams isn't bad, it's just not the super premium stuff. Plus the EVO is really crumbly and they don't eat the crumbles so I waste less food.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by venusgirltrap

okay, good. It is the kitten formula, so I hope she doesn't fatten up, but maybe I'll forward my roomie some sites about what Iams does as far as animal testing and she'll switch to Nutro.
You could try the argument that her cat prefers the Nutro so that's what she should buy if she wants a happy kitty.

Mez

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nimbus, what happens when your kitten grows up? Won't he have access to the Meow Mix? Are you all free feeding the cats?