Ipod Shuffle

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got an Ipod shuffle for my birthday today. The problem is when I plugged it into my USB port, it kills my internet connection! Is this normal? If so, that sucks.
What is the first thing I need to do with it and how long does it need to charge through the port? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by karebearcasey

no, that should not happen. does it work correctly, other than messing with your internet connection?
I don't know yet. I just got it so does it need to charge first? The light has been blinking on and off since I plugged it into the port.

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think the light blinking means it's busy, like transferring music, and you shouldn't pull it out from the computer with disconnecting through itunes. give it a few hours, if the light turns green that means it's fully charged.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i think the light blinking means it's busy, like transferring music, and you shouldn't pull it out from the computer with disconnecting through itunes. give it a few hours, if the light turns green that means it's fully charged.
I have songs downloaded from Winmx and Rocket MP3. I saved it as a wav file, but it still won't recognize it. Is there any way I can get those downloaded songs to play on the Ipod?

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
probably no, apple will only songs that are uploaded directly to itunes from your CD's or itunes. i know there are ways around it, like uploading from those file share programs, but i don't know how to do it. unless you can get it onto itunes, it won't play on on the ipod. apple likes to make things only work with apple things, like to use an ipod, you can only use itunes.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

probably no, apple will only songs that are uploaded directly to itunes from your CD's or itunes. i know there are ways around it, like uploading from those file share programs, but i don't know how to do it. unless you can get it onto itunes, it won't play on on the ipod. apple likes to make things only work with apple things, like to use an ipod, you can only use itunes.
I'm starting to get aggravated because it keeps blinking orange, which means it isn't charging. I might take it back.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't take it back. you need to download iTunes... once it 'bonds' with your computer and iTunes, it will charge properly. And yes, it takes some time to charge properly. And if you have a USB1 port, it takes longer... like hours... I have two shuffles, one bonded with my PC and one with my Mac... the PC only has older USB ports and it takes forever to charge... the flashing is letting you know it needs iTunes to charge... it needs it's 'wittle fwiend to pway wit' on your computer...

sorry having computer issues of my own (that have nothing to do with my iPod, although it is affected... d^%%$^%&$ computer and it's motherboard... I hate PC's)... so my head is a little wonky and I tend to do/say/type strange things, but yes, you need to download iTunes.

Amanda

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I downloaded itunes and it downloaded every song I have downloaded on the computer. I am trying to read the manuals, but am just not able to figure out how to get songs OFF of my shuffle now.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I downloaded itunes and it downloaded every song I have downloaded on the computer. I am trying to read the manuals, but am just not able to figure out how to get songs OFF of my shuffle now.
Are you trying to transfer songs from one computer to another? the shuffle doesn't do that. It's kinda funny that way. you can't pull songs off of it... well, there may be a way, but not through iTunes... I don't mess with mine other than through iTunes... I loaned one of mine to a 'friend' and she messed it up. She tried loading it from another computer with a different program... she messed up the software inside. and then she lied about doing it. I really wanted to hurt her. she's lucky I was able to fix it. it took some doing, but I did it. if you need any more help, just let me know.

so explain to me why you want to get them off of there. if you just want different songs on there, then you just tell it to put different songs on there, through iTunes. If you only want certain songs, like say a certain type of music, then make a 'smart playlist' and tell the shuffle to load songs from that playlist, not from the music library.

I have two of them, a 1st generation and a new one. I'm an old hand at these things...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured out how to remove all the songs it downloaded into itunes and only put the ones on I wanted by making a playlist. I have one last problem. It keep telling me to register when I have already done so!!! That is really annoying me. itunes is also running very slow.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, I had an easier time with my 1st generation shuffle. for some reason my new one keeps wanting my to register. check here on the apple forums... there's a link to check your serial number to make sure it is registered.

Apple Shuffle Forums

I checked mine and it is... I haven't plugged mine back in but it should be okay... if yours is, and it still comes up, try a couple more times... even Apple has it's quirks... my 1st gen. doesn't have this issue.

now, also, what kind of operating system are you hooking it up to? the slowness may not necessarily be iTunes... and what is slow about it? the uploading? if so, what kind of USB ports do you have? USB or USB2.0?

Amanda <~~~~ computer geek

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have an Ipod shuffle and I hated it. Itunes was confusing and really slow. I ended up giving the Ipod to my sister and I bought a Creative Zen V Plus and I love it.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an ipod nano and the answer to your question about the WAV files is yes. My mate sent me a WAV file with a song on it and before I actually put the song on my ipod, when I put the song onto Itunes it asked if I wanted it to change it so it could go on my ipod.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I think IPOD's are more trouble than they are worth!
I'm starting to believe that...
I've only put songs on that I had from my computer from other file sharing programs. It now tells me it is corrupt and that it need to be restored! Is that because of the type of files I have on there?
Once I restore it, it starts downloading all the songs in my library again. How do I stop that? The itunes also runs very slow!!
I am going to best buy at lunch time to see if someone can help me out. I just wanted something small enough so I could listen to some music while running.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm starting to believe that...
I've only put songs on that I had from my computer from other file sharing programs. It now tells me it is corrupt and that it need to be restored! Is that because of the type of files I have on there?
Once I restore it, it starts downloading all the songs in my library again. How do I stop that? The itunes also runs very slow!!
I am going to best buy at lunch time to see if someone can help me out. I just wanted something small enough so I could listen to some music while running.
Yes... it is because of the type of files... you can convert them to an AAC type. ITunes should do this when you import your files to iTunes. hat's what mine all are and i've had no problems.

What type of USB port are you plugging your shuffle into? if you're on an older computer, you may have a plain old USB port and not a USB2.0... the old ones are slow... it does take longer. No way around that other than upgrading your USB ports. If you are on a newer one, then it may just be some quirk. Honestly, some of it depends on how much you are running on your computer. One thing I've learned is that the more background programs you run, and then open up other programs that run in the foreground, the slower your computer runs. Period.

Don't expect iTunes to load your songs in a minute. I can load mine in about 15 minutes. If I really fill it up to it's max, maybe 20-25 minutes. I go do other things. If it's taking longer than that, and you've converted your songs and closed out other programs and stuff, then talk to someone at the store. If you bought it at Best Buy, good luck. I used to work there, would rather eat boiled Brussel sprouts than shop there again. If you have an Apple store nearby, go there. they actually know what they're doing. They are the mac pros.

If you're running nothing else, and it's still slow, then there's not much I can tell you. convert your song files. and be patient. computers are not super fast, no matter how much we would like them to be. we load them down with cr** and then expect them to run perfectly. I'm not saying you have done that, but too many people do. I'm guilty of it myself, over the years. But I'm cleaning out things... my writing computer is stripped down to barely anything. and it still isn't super fast. C'est la Vie.

I'm facing a meltdown on my desktop PC because the motherboard has apparently decided it's had enough. I have potentially lost ALL the music I ripped into my computer from my CD collection. That's about 900 CD's. All on a secondary hard drive, simply because my motherboard is dying. I'll salvage what I can, but it isn't looking good.

A.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Yes... it is because of the type of files... you can convert them to an AAC type. ITunes should do this when you import your files to iTunes. hat's what mine all are and i've had no problems.

What type of USB port are you plugging your shuffle into? if you're on an older computer, you may have a plain old USB port and not a USB2.0... the old ones are slow... it does take longer. No way around that other than upgrading your USB ports. If you are on a newer one, then it may just be some quirk. Honestly, some of it depends on how much you are running on your computer. One thing I've learned is that the more background programs you run, and then open up other programs that run in the foreground, the slower your computer runs. Period.

Don't expect iTunes to load your songs in a minute. I can load mine in about 15 minutes. If I really fill it up to it's max, maybe 20-25 minutes. I go do other things. If it's taking longer than that, and you've converted your songs and closed out other programs and stuff, then talk to someone at the store. If you bought it at Best Buy, good luck. I used to work there, would rather eat boiled Brussel sprouts than shop there again. If you have an Apple store nearby, go there. they actually know what they're doing. They are the mac pros.

If you're running nothing else, and it's still slow, then there's not much I can tell you. convert your song files. and be patient. computers are not super fast, no matter how much we would like them to be. we load them down with cr** and then expect them to run perfectly. I'm not saying you have done that, but too many people do. I'm guilty of it myself, over the years. But I'm cleaning out things... my writing computer is stripped down to barely anything. and it still isn't super fast. C'est la Vie.

I'm facing a meltdown on my desktop PC because the motherboard has apparently decided it's had enough. I have potentially lost ALL the music I ripped into my computer from my CD collection. That's about 900 CD's. All on a secondary hard drive, simply because my motherboard is dying. I'll salvage what I can, but it isn't looking good.

A.
My computer is 2 years old so I know I have an older USB port. As for the files to be converted to ACC? What is ACC and what do I need to convert my songs files to? I don't think itunes did that when it imported all my songs from My music on my computer. When I restored the ipod and it stripped all my songs off, it was fine, then it started to download all the songs in my library again! How do I prevent it from doing that?
Sorry to hear about your motherboard. That sucks when you lose all those songs you have had on there. I hope you are able to recover most of them.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My computer is 2 years old so I know I have an older USB port. As for the files to be converted to ACC? What is ACC and what do I need to convert my songs files to? I don't think itunes did that when it imported all my songs from My music on my computer. When I restored the ipod and it stripped all my songs off, it was fine, then it started to download all the songs in my library again! How do I prevent it from doing that?
Sorry to hear about your motherboard. That sucks when you lose all those songs you have had on there. I hope you are able to recover most of them.
If your computer was brand new two years ago, you actually should have USB2.0. I am assuming you're on a PC... so check your hardware profiles. granted, I've become less and less PC proficient. So I think it's the hardware profiles you need to look in. My XP machine is the one dying, so I'd love to power it up and write down all the directions, but it won't like that very much. Start right-clicking on things like My Computer and the C drive. I have to power mine up later when I try something (for diagnosis) so if it behaves long enough, I will see what steps to take.

I'm trying to figure out what it is that's making iTunes fill up your shuffle as soon as you fix it. I know when I plug mine in and iTunes starts up, it does update the songs already on there... let me play with mine here and see what i can come up with.

As for AAC files... right click on one of your songs in the iTunes library, and click on Get Info. under the summary, it should tell you the KIND of file it is. tell me what you find. Also tell me what the Encoding line says. that will also be in the summary. Also in Preferences, tell me what kind of Encoding is picked under Advanced. Mine has AIFF.

Amanda

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

As for AAC files... right click on one of your songs in the iTunes library, and click on Get Info. under the summary, it should tell you the KIND of file it is. tell me what you find. Also tell me what the Encoding line says. that will also be in the summary. Also in Preferences, tell me what kind of Encoding is picked under Advanced. Mine has AIFF.

Amanda
Thanks for all your help so far Amanda!
I right clicked in my library and am no converting the song files. The kind of file is MPEG audio file, and the encoding lines says unknown.
The kind of encoding under preferences is ACC. Should I change it to AIFF? I was going to convert everything and try putting it in a seperate playlist or completely replacing my library, restoring my ipod (since it says it is corrupted) and see what happens with the converted files.

Sabrina