Help over a video 'infringement'

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

On another video site I have my videos of my cats listed under my user name "renovia" Well the other day I searched my user name and now one other video comes up with kids pretending to hang themselves. Along side all my other cat videos.

Now I'm upset because I don't see how anyone else could really be using the name 'renovia' It's not like it's real common.

And I didn't see WHY the name has to be there at all. i don't know these people and because I'm a teacher I'm afraid that someone will see these and think I had something to do with it.

What should I do? I've flagged the video as inappropriate but don't know what else to do. It's not like I can call up the site and explain my situation.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much you can do I'm afraid. Unless you have Trademarked your name it's open for anyone to use. I learned along ago that no matter how original you think your user name might be, someone else with the same name thinks the exact same thing.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Hi all,

On another video site I have my videos of my cats listed under my user name "renovia" Well the other day I searched my user name and now one other video comes up with kids pretending to hang themselves. Along side all my other cat videos.

Now I'm upset because I don't see how anyone else could really be using the name 'renovia' It's not like it's real common.

And I didn't see WHY the name has to be there at all. i don't know these people and because I'm a teacher I'm afraid that someone will see these and think I had something to do with it.

What should I do? I've flagged the video as inappropriate but don't know what else to do. It's not like I can call up the site and explain my situation.
Perhaps you can pm the link to TCS users and we can all go to the site and flag it as well and point out that it isn't yours, hopefully it would be removed?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Not much you can do I'm afraid. Unless you have Trademarked your name it's open for anyone to use. I learned along ago that no matter how original you think your user name might be, someone else with the same name thinks the exact same thing.

That's the unfortunate side effect of the internet...you realise how many people out there, well err...think like you.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The internet is no longer a safe place.
That's why I try to be as careful as possible: you never know where the evil lurks..

Can you contact the mods of the website and explain the situation to them??
Maybe they can straighten out the mess.

Good luck!

~KK~

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes contacting a Mod is the way to go, although I find it strange that the site has let somebody else use the same user name. Usually you are asked to add a number or whatever if it is already in use. And if they cannot help then I would take it further maybe the police could advise, as content like that needs to banned altogether. Keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
let me know if you would like to flag the video and I'll pm you. I'm just really disturbed that when you search 'renovia' All of my stuff comes up AND this one video.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, yeah, the internet isn't the greatest most secure thing. Judge Greg Mathis has had a lot of people tell him they have talked a lot on myspace
He always laughs at them and tells them that is bogus, he doesn't have a myspace.

I would also contact whoever is in charge of the site, explain that you are a teacher.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a look at the video clip. The kids that posted the video have a completely different user name than you, they just titled their clip "renovia".

So naturally it will come up in a general site search using "renovia" as the keyword.

I didn't think the video clip was that bad. In the description the kids say they made an attempt to produce a "horror movie". Maybe in poor taste for some, but seems like they are just experimenting with film making.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it to have it removed, since they aren't spoofing your user name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not saying people can't use the word Renovia. I'm just nervous about having like 7 videos on the site come up and 6 having to do with me and the other in distaste.

I'm nervous (probably overly so) that some kid will get a funny idea to copy it and really hurt themselves. My students know all about my cats.

Thank goodness most of those sites are in another language!