U.S. Spent $40 Billion on Pet Products this Year

cat man

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We Americans are treating our babes right.

We spent $40 billion this year on pet products and accessories (according to the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association).

I heard some conservative radio DJ today slam Americans for it, but I think it's great. We like to spoil 'em rotten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat man

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agreed!

Besides buying a bunch of stuff (we have toys, cat beds, "carpet-jungle-gym-thing") do you know some things I could do to absolutely spoil my kittys?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Man you could build an outside safe place with mesh to keep kitty safe & enjoy the great outdoors. Plenty of shelves, hammocks, trees to climb. Kitty heaven. Access to the house through a kitty door. Cat grass to wander through & roll in. Then there's the diamonte collars, cat carrier for all those outings with dad.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes but are they doing right by the animals or just spending $$ to look like they care??

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes but are they doing right by the animals or just spending $$ to look like they care??
All I know is when it comes to cats and cat owners, I laugh when I hear someone say that cats don't like toys - might as well just give them a milk jug ring, that cats aren't interactive but aloof, don't do tricks, won't play with you, or that cat owners won't spend money on a cat like a dog owner will on a dog.

NOT my experience. I hear from customers who actively search for their cats favorite treat, who speak with great love of how much a part of the family their cat(s) are, how affectionate and interactive, and I know they research toys and treats for their kitties. Folks care about the quality of treats and food they give to them...and more, but this is long enough

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew it!!!! We spend $40 billion on cat toys and the little twerps Still prefer to play in the empty boxes

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I knew it!!!! We spend $40 billion on cat toys and the little twerps Still prefer to play in the empty boxes
Not my little twerps! Guess I've been easily trained

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Not my little twerps! Guess I've been easily trained
you and me both.... lol... Zoey has a Double bed ... ie a heated pad ( from www.catniptoys.com) and a larger dog crate bed because otherwise he skinny but cat feel the upolstry

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not surprised. I work at a doggy daycare facility that also does boaridng, has grooming, training, and a pet boutique where you can buy upscale items for your pets from beds to organic shampoo's....and our customers have no problem dropping 300 dollars for a "daycare pass" or spending 150 dollars on a dog bed...or paying 1,000 for us to board thier dog for a month while they are in eurpoe. It's not surprising at all to me.