Moving and have to leave cat behind

mrkitty'skeeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in an apartment, my ex-wife stayed in our house with an outdoor cat for company. She's moving to Europe and won't be able to take the cat with her. Is it best to leave the cat at the house and have the neighbors tend to it as a community cat, which they're willing to do, or is it best for me, as someone the cat knows, to bring the cat to my apartment and try to convert it to an indoor cat? The cat is about 10-years-old, fixed, and is comfortable with the neighbors (they fed it numerous times while we vacationed). Any knowledgeable advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely go get the cat and bring it with you. You have no idea what will happen to a 10 year old cat, if left as a neighborhood cat. I wouldnt trust that at all.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Bring it inside with you, an older cat would more than likely choose to be more of an indoor cat any way, Also if the cat faces health problems, there may be no one to care for it, which would be sad.

The first few weeks of bringing an out door cat indoors will be extreemly tough, but it gets easier, and I would think an older cat will be easier than a younger cat.

I hope it works out for you.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is any chance of bringing this cat into your home to give it a safer, healthier life, that would be my recommendation. Although the neighbours have agreed to look after the cat, what happens if they get tired of doing so or something should happen to them and they were no longer able to care for the cat.

My advice is to take the cat into your home and provide it with a safe haven.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrkitty'skeeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the good advice. I was leaning towards bringing it to my apartment, but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that would make the cat uncomfortable by taking it out of its environment. I would totally trust the neighbors, though. But the point you make about it being sick and nobody knowing is valid. So that's it! - The cat comes with me. Thanks again.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
If the cat has been out doors all its life you may encounter some problems, but there are so many people on here that offer great advice with a bit of luck you should be able to overcome anything

here is some info to get you started, sorry to repeat my self if you already know the following.

Start off by having the cat stay in one room so he can get used to his surroundings and he is not to confused by all the new stuff, set him up with a nice big litter box, a scratching post, some where to sleep, My cat loves to sleep on towels in his cat carrier
so I have never spent lots of money on a fancy bed, leave him a few toys, they have some good ones at the dollar store and set his food and water up as far away from his litter box as possible.

If I missed anything important I'm sure it will be pointed out

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrKitty'sKeeper

Thanks for the good advice. I was leaning towards bringing it to my apartment, but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that would make the cat uncomfortable by taking it out of its environment. I would totally trust the neighbors, though. But the point you make about it being sick and nobody knowing is valid. So that's it! - The cat comes with me. Thanks again.
I am so glad you have decided this. I hope you stay around on this forum so we get to meet the lucky kitty. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. There is so much info on the forums on caring for cats.

You have done the right thing