Things aren't looking well for Bob. :(

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob has had diabetes for almost a year now, and despite my best efforts trying different insulins and food (and I got him slowly down from 22 lbs to 13 1/2....he came to me fat a few years ago), he has developed diabetic neuropathy and for the past 2 months has been showing signs of urinary incontinence. At first I didn't know who was doing it, as I have 6 cats. But one day about 3 weeks ago I came home to find Bob on the couch and when he got up, there was a urine puddle on the couch and urine leaking down his legs. He usually does it in his sleep, but today he did it while just sitting there awake. It's not behavioral. He uses the box when he feels it, but when he's asleep he can't feel it, and now is doing it while awake just sitting in a normal position. He doesn't even realize it.
I have had him on Proin which is usually used for incontinence, twice a day for the past 3 weeks, to no avail. I asked my vet (who I work for...well actually I asked all 3 of the doctors I work with, to get different opinions) what can be done, they said they would look into increasing the dose of Proin but if three times a day doesn't help, I may have to put him down. Urinary incontinence in cats is rare. His glucose levels aren't quite stable yet. I took him off Glargine as it wasn't working at all for him. He is now on PZI, has been for a few months, and goes Wednesday for another glucose curve to see where his levels are. I realize his unstable levels can attribute to his incontinence, so I am hoping if I can get the level stable, this may improve. However, his nerve damage from the diabetic neuropathy may not be reversible.
Anyone out there have or heard of similar issues?
As much as I love him, I can't have him leaking urine all over the house wherever he goes. And having 6 cats, it's a wonder none of the others have started urinating over his. Knock on wood.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

are any of the vet s you work with willing to think about homeopathic meds>??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

are any of the vet s you work with willing to think about homeopathic meds>??
We never have, but is there something you know of?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to look it up or ask but yes I have heard of some drops that can help and if memory serves even petco and petsmart carry them

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/produ...productid=L160

if memory serves homeopathy use s the same meds for cat s , dogs and humans
The doctors think Bob might be resistant to insulin. Being on the two kinds and no effect. If his glucose doesn't go down by increasing his units a few more times, we may have to switch again....his numbers were a little lower today but not much. We increased them again today. We'll see.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has your vet done urinalysis and culture? UTI's are uncommon in cats, but the glucose in the urine predisposes them. The neuropathy is a big sign that the insulin is poorly controlled. What were his levels at his last curve?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UMM ask your vet about evo ... this is the first food my vet trys with diabetic cats

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

Has your vet done urinalysis and culture? UTI's are uncommon in cats, but the glucose in the urine predisposes them. The neuropathy is a big sign that the insulin is poorly controlled. What were his levels at his last curve?
Yes we did, and there was an infection but now it is resolved. His last curve was last week, and his levels were in the lower 300's. But today we checked a glucose midday and it was 127....so we're on the right track.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob hasn't peed accidentally since last Saturday, and his glucose levels are around the normal range, so things are looking up.