Jumping on counters

katmomof3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off thanks to everyone who posted to me the last time. All my girls are getting along well most of the time.
I have three orientals. The big issue we are dealing with now is the kitchen counters. My older two know better and do it now only for attention. I kinda made it in to a game to get them down.

Rosemary's baby is four months old does it all the time. Hissing at her works somewhat. I discovered that somewhere on here.
This is a pet peeve of mine. Our house is cat friendly. I only have two rules: Don't scratch the furniture and DO NOT JUMP ON THE COUNTERS!

With Demon Spawn our oldest I tried aluminum foil on the counters. That only got me a sprained paw and and trip to the emergency vet. Any other suggestions?

Also for anyone interested. We have microfiber suede furniture and they don't touch it.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I can't help you there. I've tried the double sided tape. That only stopped Blossom the 1st time she stepped on it. After awhile it gets dirty & dusty with no stick. I've tried the foil, the spray bottle, which only works when I have it nearby. Blossom gets on the kitchen benches whenever she likes, which is usually when I'm getting her food ready or ours. She also hops up when she sees flies or moths. She also uses the bench as a hopping up point to the top of the cupboards or fridge. I heard someone say somewhere that cats go where they like bc they can. I have yet to try the tin cans with stones or coins along the edge to frighten the cat when they knock them down.
Anyone have any other suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katmomof3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Kalikat. Glad to know I am not the only one. I don't know how I wound up with two jumpers!
I know it is part of the kitten brain damage but I figured with consistent "punishment" she would get it. She is almost as smart as Tabitha my oldest. Just this evening she jumped up there while we were eating and there was still food on the counters! She almost got some macaroni and cheese. The good homemade kind.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katmomof3

Thanks Kalikat. Glad to know I am not the only one. I don't know how I wound up with two jumpers!
I know it is part of the kitten brain damage but I figured with consistent "punishment" she would get it. She is almost as smart as Tabitha my oldest. Just this evening she jumped up there while we were eating and there was still food on the counters! She almost got some macaroni and cheese. The good homemade kind.
Do your cats jump on the refrigerator?

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our 4 cats jump on the counters and the refrigerator . Almost everywhere. We gave up trying to keep them off. Now we make sure those places are safe and clean any food preparing surfaces regularly.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and we walked in from vacation to find the two wirehairs (17mos and 7 mos old) on the counters!!!! ACK!!!! Now the 7 month old is up there all the time. Yesterday morning he opened a wrapped banana bread and ate/bit all over it. Tonight he jumped up on top of a plate I was filling with dinner for my dd, and knocked it off the counter and broke it. He also grabs the dishcloth and tosses it onto the floor and will take any wrappers he can find onto the floor as well.

So far we're just telling him "no" and putting him back down as well as trying to stop it before it happens. He's doing slightly better but when we're gone, I know all bets are off. I'm hoping this is just a "teenaged" phase he's entering and we'll be able to break it fairly easily. The other 2 cats learned very quickly, but they were nowhere as "enthusiastic" about jumping in the first place.

Sigh,

Cally

piccadilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat started jumping on the counters out of the blue (after living there for years). My sister set a "booby trap" at the spot where he would jump up of a metal cookie tray and left it there (make sure it is nice and precarious so that the slightest bump will send it crashing to the floor). It only took once for Nick to be so freaked out that he has never done it since.

I did the same for Pippin and have had the same result.