when do males get those big muscles?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello when do male cats get the tom cat muscles? My cat has a bit but hes still not all muscle like my other cats, what age does the muscle really start getting good?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. Some cats will be more lanky than others. Some cats can take up to 3-4 years to fully mature.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? Most times its just a matter of being fully mature, so it would take a few years.

Some cats have muscle but are not bulky looking - like a muscular Siamese/Oriental - you would feel the muscle power but it would not look bulky like an American SH or Bengal/Ocicat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one thing I like about unneutered tom cats is those big huge cheeks they get when they mature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
me to i really wanted mine to have those big cheeks before i get him nutered is that possible? 6 Hes 6 months old now so hes ready

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Ferris neutered at 5 months old, and now at 18 months old, he is a hefty - but not fat - 13 pounds. He is starting to mature and get more and more muscular, and his head is huge compared to my other three. So I really think it has a great deal to do with the cat's genetics.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've seen big jowls on an intact tom under 2 years old.
My boys were both neutered at 8 weeks, one is cobby and muscular (with a spay sway), the other is long, lean and muscled like a runner, very oriental in build.
These are full brothers, so I really think that it depends on genetics as well as the individual cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would not wait to neuter your cats because you want a "big head/muscles" - it will just take a little longer then the unneutered one.

Charlie is starting to widen in the head; he probably will not get quite like his nephew who was neutered not long ago and got to develop his "male" head early. But in 2-3 yrs he should look more like the normal male Ocicats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah i know but those jowls are so cute lol

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my knowledge a neutered male cat will never produce jowls. The hormones of an intact male cat cause the jowl effect and it appears at varying ages according to breed and genetic lines.

As was stated, go ahead and get your boy neutered prior to six months. You certainly don't want to experience the other things that go along with jowls and intact males.

Some of my intact bengal boys haven't produced any jowls until they turned 18 months to 2 years.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

As was stated, go ahead and get your boy neutered prior to six months. You certainly don't want to experience the other the things that go along with jowls and intact males.
I'm glad we skipped the jowls and joys associated with them for my boys!