drooling question

norm-and-brad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Thought I would look here to see what to do about Bradshaw. I went through some of the other posts and just wanted to ask some opinions. Our cat started drooling last night , clear and watery. Not a lot but noticeable. He is still doing it this morning. He is acting perfectly normal, he is alert , playful, eats and drinks fine. I opened his mouth a little and could not see any redness etc. But thought maybe nausea? My girlfreind and her sister were wrapping gifts last night and maybe he got ahold of some paper or ribbon? Anyway, we are going to keep an eye on him today and tomorrow to monitor him. If it doesn;t change we will take him in...which he absolutely hates. Thanks in advance for any advise.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by norm-and-brad

Hello,
Thought I would look here to see what to do about Bradshaw. I went through some of the other posts and just wanted to ask some opinions. Our cat started drooling last night , clear and watery. Not a lot but noticeable. He is still doing it this morning. He is acting perfectly normal, he is alert , playful, eats and drinks fine. I opened his mouth a little and could not see any redness etc. But thought maybe nausea? My girlfreind and her sister were wrapping gifts last night and maybe he got ahold of some paper or ribbon? Anyway, we are going to keep an eye on him today and tomorrow to monitor him. If it doesn;t change we will take him in...which he absolutely hates. Thanks in advance for any advise.
Good luck. Please let us know how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norm-and-brad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Again,
Well I called the vet last evening and was actually able to speak with him. I explained the situation and he did indeed want to see then cat just to make sure there wasn't anything in his throat. We took him in (I have the scratches to prove it
) and he did an exam, tempurature normal, nothing on or under the tougue, no issue with his gums, nothing in his throat
The doc can't find anything. He suggested an xray to make sure it wasn't something in his intestines, all looked good. He said it could be nausea or he swallowed something that could have scratched his throat. He gave us a prescription, starts with an 'S', that is supposed to coat his throat and also wants us to give him 1/4 tab of pepcid ac every 12 hours for 4 days to see how it goes. It is so traumatic for him to go to the vet, but he is in good spirits today. I didn't see him pee this morning but he is drinking and eating fine, I am always worried about that with cats. Since we have 2 cats its hard to tell who pee's and poo's

Anyway, thank you for your input it's really appreciated.

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two kittens had enteritis a few weeks back and were both drooling in their sleep for a bit after they seemed better, it went on for about a week - I assume that their stomachs were still a bit upset. I hope your cat is better soon!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats drool when they are extremely happy... but I assume this is a new thing for your cat, abnormal for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norm-and-brad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Yes, this was very unusual for Bradshaw. Good news! After just a couple days of the meds not a drop from him

By the way what is enteritis?

So was it an upset stomach from something he ate or something that just worked its way out? Again, thanks to all for your reply's!

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pleased to hear that Bradhsaw is better.
Enteritis is a severe inflammation of the bowel caused by a bacterial infection (symptoms were diahorrea and very stiff movement as their middles hurt so much) - it's like gastro-enteritis except that they didn't vomit as well. They were on antibiotic injctions every other day - my boy had four shots and the girl three, as she wasn't as sick; and I reckon that the antibiotics actually caused the drooling as they kill all the good bacteria in th stomach and leave you feeling a bit queasy.