Litter Box Changing

shivvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everybody! First post here. I have a 1.5 year old siamese mix, named charlie.

Here he is when he was a little guy.

My questions are:

1) how often do you dump your litter box and refill with fresh litter?

2) what kind of litter box do you use? (rubbermaid, igloo with the top, disposable)

3) dont you wish your litter box could be more clean (i.e. stains on the sides and bottom you see after dumping the litter.)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by shivvy

Hello Everybody! First post here. I have a 1.5 year old siamese mix, named charlie.

Here he is when he was a little guy.

My questions are:

2) what kind of litter box do you use? (rubbermaid, igloo with the top, disposable)

3) dont you wish your litter box could be more clean (i.e. stains on the sides and bottom you see after dumping the litter.)
Hi and welcome to TCS.

I can't see the picture here at work because of firewalls but will look forward to seeing him when I get home.

I use World's Best Cat Litter for multiple cats which I scoop at least once per day. I add a couple of new cups of litter every 4-5 days. We have the Booda Dome plus another covered litterbox. I only clean the entire box (emptying and washing it out) about once every 6-8 weeks. I was telling my neighbour yesterday that she should switch from the clay litter to WBCL (I cat-sat for her last week and hated cleaning the clay litter). I took her to our litter box and when I took the lid off she had to lean down to sniff and said there was no odour and was rather surprised. I told her the last time I had cleaned it out completely was 3-4 weeks ago which again surprised her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shivvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! That is about how often I change mine, (I use the arm&hammer).

I have the open top basic rubbermaid, but just looking to see what has worked for the others on TCS. Appreciate the feedback!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Once a week.

I have three litterboxes that I bought at the store, they're just the regular plastic litterboxes.

I don't really see that very often. Although I have heard of using non-stick cooking speay on the boxes... but I haven't tried it.

shivvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow, you dump the whole box once a week? Do you wash it then too?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My questions are:

1) Once a month. I wash the boxes once a week.
2) Sterlite storage modified to work as a Feline Pine "shifting" box.
3) The only stains are occasionally a bit of feces will be smeared on a wall. Doesn't happen often and easy to spot clean.

shivvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
AWESOME! Great feedback, appreciate all the info!

holmesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, and 2 litter boxes

i change the litter twice a week, wed and sun and i clean the trays every sun to.............

am i going over the top on this? Its just i find they begin to smell and they have a habbit of not using them unless there clean?

Thanks

shivvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
over the top? no, to each his/her own. Better to do it more often then not often enough!

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

over the top? no, to each his/her own. Better to do it more often then not often enough!
In the warmer months I've been known to clean the litter tray twice a week. You are doing what's best for your cats!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dump, disinfect, & re-fill LBs 1x a week.

I use Rubbermaid tubs, the 18 gallons & also the ones that are 2-3x that size(not sure on exact size). I have 3 cats upstairs & 4 downstairs.

I see the cats claws making marks in the sides of my 18 Gal rubbermaid tubs, so I replace them more often.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by holmesy

I have 2 cats, and 2 litter boxes

i change the litter twice a week, wed and sun and i clean the trays every sun to.............

am i going over the top on this? Its just i find they begin to smell and they have a habbit of not using them unless there clean?

Thanks
A lot depends on the litter you use. I just cat-sat for my neighbour last week who uses clay litter. I would definitely completely change her clay litter at least twice per week. I use WBCL and only do a complete changeout about every 6 weeks.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats Scoop. We change the boxes once a month usually. Sooner if necessary.

I use Sterilite tubs modified with an entry for litterboxes

I wash the box when I change the litter so that's not really a big deal for me.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Welcome to TCS!
Your kitty is lovely!

I scoop out the litter pans daily. I dump the litter completly once a week. When i dump it- i think take it into the bathroom and scrub it down with Dawn dish soap (in the blue bottle) and a scrub brush. I clean all of the litter pans weekly- it keeps odor away and helps the pans last longer/not stain

I have three covered litter pans for my kitties, and one regular open top small litter pan for the foster kitten. I use the Target brand scooping/clumping litter for multiple cats (same thing as Arm & Hammer Multi Cats formula- but it's much cheaper and MUCH better on smell/not being dusty!.

Our litter pans stay clean because I scrub them out every week
The more you wash them- the less they stain and the easier they are to maintain! It only take a few minutes to wash them too- it's really not time consuming at all!

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bin the whole lot twice a week and at the same time disinfect the tray. I use the ordinary gravel type litter and have a regular plastic tray. To bin and clean out the tray takes all of 3 minutes

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 3 Clever Cat boxes. I have 3 cats and use the top entry boxes because one of my cats is a kicker and this keeps the litter in the box.

I have been down the list on litters and have settled on Dr Elsys Precious Cat.
It is a very heavy litter so I have absolutely no tracking. I fill my boxes pretty high so that nothing sticks on the bottom. This litter clumps rock hard so I do not have little clumps that make the boxes stink. You can not smell the boxes even if you sniff them.

I scoop daily sometimes twice if I am on the ball.

I completely clean my boxes every other month but I spot clean weekly. I tilt the boxes and wipe down the plastic with a combo bleach and water. I put a little bit of bleach in a spray bottle and an all natural dish soap and water combo in another spray bottle. I wet a an old rag with the bleach mixture and wipe. Followed by another rag with the soap mixture and wipe. Then I wipe it with water and then dry with another rag. I keep my cleaning supplies in a small bucket and just pull it out to clean. I throw the rags in the wash and reuse.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a covered box from Tidy Cats. I use Fresh Step Free and scoop daily. Every 2-3 days, I put a layer of new litter in the box. Every 3-4 weeks, I clean and disinfect the box.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dump and refill/clean once a month!

I scoop everyday, but I only have one cat and she has a giant rubbermaid tote to go in...so it doesn't get stinky for a long time.