Raw beef recipes

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for some recipes, something similiar to Feline Instincts, anyone know of any? Also which is the best calcium supplement and how much should I use?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

I'm looking for some recipes, something similiar to Feline Instincts, anyone know of any? Also which is the best calcium supplement and how much should I use?
TALK to a VET or PET nutritionist....
I do worry your keeping adding and switching things may be an issue since yours have issues
simple ratio
70-85% muscle ( the part you and I eat
10% bone ( bone meal or a calcium citrate supplent can be used)
10-15% organ meat ( remember NOT all liver )
3-5% veggies( blanched or out of a juicer( pulp)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
any reason why I need to add veggies?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's obvious that you care deeply about your cats....
that is why you want to feed them only the best.

I highly recommend that for the wellbeing of your kitties, you find a like minded vet to follow their health and help you with their nutritional needs.

There is no room for error when creating a raw homemade diet.

It might cost a little more in the beginning but over time...
having a good vet as your patner in your kitties care, is priceless.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the advice, but I know if I go to 10 different vets I get 10 different recipes. I just want general recipes for a general house cat.

Here's one I found -

Basic Cat Food Recipe*
1300 g raw muscle meat (beef, chicken, lamb, quail, duck, etc., but not fish or pork!)
400 g heart
200 g liver (I alternate with kidneys)
100 g gizzards (excellent for a dental workout, which is important for teeth!)
600 g finely pulped or grated veggies (I mostly use carrots or plain pumpkin)
spring water to desired consistency
4 eggs, lightly cooked
4 tbsp bonemeal
approx. 60 drops of Liquid Trace Minerals
1000 mg vitamin C (calcium ascorbate, sodium ascorbate, or Ester C: the amount is variable according to your cat's needs)
2 tsp salmon body oil
100-200 IU vitamin E added directly to a meal, once a week

perfectlitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also found some good ones.

VEAL STEW

Combine 1/2 pound stewing veal, 1 cup canned tomatoes, 1 cup water, 1 chicken bouillon cube, 1/2 onion (chopped), parsley and a dash of garlic powder in a pot and simmer.

When meat is tender, remove all the bones.

For dogs, cut the meat in chunks, and mix stew with kibble or some other grain; for cats, grind the stew in blender, adding a tablespoon of wheat germ or 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread.

Taken from http://www.healthrecipes.com/pet_supply.htm

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PerfectLitter

I also found some good ones.

VEAL STEW

Combine 1/2 pound stewing veal, 1 cup canned tomatoes, 1 cup water, 1 chicken bouillon cube, 1/2 onion (chopped), parsley and a dash of garlic powder in a pot and simmer.

When meat is tender, remove all the bones.

For dogs, cut the meat in chunks, and mix stew with kibble or some other grain; for cats, grind the stew in blender, adding a tablespoon of wheat germ or 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread.

Taken from http://www.healthrecipes.com/pet_supply.htm
Onions are poison to a cat ... Garlic is ??able ... Bullion often also has both ... Tomatoes are not an every day food... Wheat is the most common CAT allergy

ALL in all that recipe should not be fed ever to a Cat or Dog

Check the ASPCA website for known poisons.

that link has a never feed cats onions

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...cc_toxic_onion

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Onions are poison to a cat ... Garlic is ??able ... Bullion often also has both ... Tomatoes are not an every day food... Wheat is the most common cat allergy

All in all that recipe should not be fed ever to a cat or dog

Check the ASPCA website for known poisons

that link has a never feed cats onions

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...cc_toxic_onion
That's what I was thinking.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those inquiring minds ... ingestion of onions and/or garlic causes a condition called Heinz Body Anemia in cats and can be fatal. http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Tarigo/index.php

Tomatoes are a member of the nightshade family and are toxic to cats. Even ingesting small amounts can cause symptoms anywhere from mild to severe digestive issues. I have personal experience with this. If you want to know the details, please feel free to PM me and I will tell you what happened.

There is an absolute TON of salt in bouillion cube and since cardiac and renal issues are so prevalent in our cats, salt should be severely restricted or even better yet, avoided entirely.

As Sharky has already pointed out, wheat and many grain products are linked to allergies in cats.

Please, please, please people - not everything you read on the Internet is true, correct or beneficial. There are a lot of well-meaning people out there who want nothing more than to help you but remember that ultimately it is up to YOU to decide what is best for your cat after you have carefully researched ALL of your options and then discussed everything with your vet. Never, ever change your cat's diet without the guidance of your trusted veterinarian or accredited veterinary nutritionalist.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone feed gizzards, I just gave some to my cats and they seemed to enjoy chewing away at them, I guess they're a good dental treat. And does anyone know why the recipe at catnutrition adds geletin to their no bones recipe?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And does anyone know a supermarket chain in the US which carries chicken hearts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Anyone feed gizzards, I just gave some to my cats and they seemed to enjoy chewing away at them, I guess they're a good dental treat. And does anyone know why the recipe at catnutrition adds geletin to their no bones recipe?
Geletin is PIG bone granulated

gizzards are a treat

And does anyone know a supermarket chain in the US which carries chicken hearts?
Many do just ask the butcher

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you capitalize PIG for a reason? And do you have any thoughts on adding vitamin C to raw?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont use it for many many reasons

You need to address supplement s with a Qualified Professional ... I dont add it to raw but i know of times it is needed

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stick with a complete and balanced recipe with complete supplementation. If anything is lacking don't use it.

These are the sources I trust the most.

www.felinespride.com
www.felineinstincts.com
www.felinefuture.com
www.catinfo.org
www.catnutrition.org
www.hare-today.com with their supplement, follow recipe carefully. Add extra taurine if using rabbit because rabbit is low in taurine.

I do not believe veggies are necessary. A veggie free diet is better for a cat with IBD. And yes, consult a good holistic vet, especially if your cat has health issues.