clipping nails on back paws

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really good about clipping the nails on my girls front paws - and they let me do it (as long as they are sleepy) But when I go to do the back ones, they are never as long as the front. My husband mentioned something about cats biting the nails on their back paws - has anyone else ever heard of this?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll bite at their back claws to get crud out of them -litter or dirt, while grooming.

I trim the back claws when I clip the front. I've noticed the back ones will get very thick and can be very painful if you have a cat run over you with the claws too long. Since your not used to clipping those, just be a little careful how far back you cut, sometimes the quicks are a little longer.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trim the back ones too....at least every other time that I do the front. Mostly I will do them at the same time if they are long enough because you do feel them a bit more when she's playing with you or running off of you like strange_wings mentioned. I have heard of cats chewing them down, I guess it depends on the cat.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only trim back nails just before show...otherwise I just let them be

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I only trim back nails just before show...otherwise I just let them be
Me too, if it wasn't required I'd very rarely do the back claws

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only ever clipped Links's claws once, on the front. Next time I do, I will do the back aswell. So it'll be once a month for the back and once a fortnight for the front.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of it before, but I just trim all the nails on 4 feet that are too long. Granted the back doesn't grow as fast as the front, but they still need to be kept short.

When cats fight, they use their back feet and "bunny kick" which can cause more damage.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

When cats fight, they use their back feet and "bunny kick" which can cause more damage.
I can attest how damaging those back claws can be, because they're thicker then the front claws they tear/shred more then a normal scratch. I still have scars, that are at times sensitive, on my right arm.

Are the back claws really supposed to grow that much slower? Whenever I clip claws my boys back claws are always rather long, with at least one claw per foot that's very sharp.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that on Charlie and Ling - seems one or two of the back claws is longer then the rest (usually one in the middle)....I have no clue how they are supposed to grow....