SO Excited!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am picking up my new boy at the airport on Sunday, Dec 1!!!!

Every other cat I have gotten was either a stray, a surprise gift, or an impulse buy from a pet-store (once, long ago before I was smart). I have never had to wait for a kitty and it's been really tough. I have thought about this venture for years, and always knew someday I'd treat myself to a purebred show cat. From what I've read about Mau's they are everything that I would want. When I was younger I wanted a Maine Coone, because of their grandeur in size and the what I have heard of their social nature. But I am not a big fan of lots of fur. The Mau's are gorgeous and have such a neat history that I was drawn to them the first time I saw them.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be patient, I assure you that good things are coming.
Give your little boy time if he is uncertain about his new home. Maus bond deeply with "their" person and I personally have never experienced anything quite like it. Prepare to be the light of your doting boy's life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Crazy, went over the night before to make sure I was there in time. Ferry is $50 one way and hotel was $100. Find out that the airport on their side was backed up on cargo and wouldn't fly animals. Decide to stay another night as weather on my side is bad, but supposed to get better. Get a call at 4am to say that they can't reach the airport to find out if they are flying animals, and don't want to make the 1.5 hour drive just in case they are flying animals due to bad weather. So I missed a day of work, 2 hotels, 2 ferries, food, and no kitten. Scheduling another pickup next weekend, but will definitely not go the night before, and am combining travel costs with friend who has to go over as well. The joys of living on an island, and purchasing a kitten in the winter.

I did get all my xmas shopping done, and the kitten is getting some pretty good car travel socialization. Supposedly he doesn't cry at all, just chirps for attention now and then.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How frustrating! That's why I either ship in the spring or the fall or travel to the breeder's house to pick up a kitten

Hope the new one gets there safe and sound very soon. Patience is the key. And post pictures on the arrival

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
awww i know how that feeling is. You're all excited your new kitten is coming and then poof you find out nope something happened and its been delayed. Same thing happened with my bengal ^__^. It was 3 agonizingly long weeks waiting but it was all be worth it. Too bad on the hotel money though T__T. post pics when u get him/her ^__^

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is exciting that you are getting a new fuzzy addition to your family!

You'll have to tell us all about him when he gets here!
We would love to see photos of your new kitten someday

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is probably for the best that your cat was not flown out. Egyptian Maus are very sensitive to the cold, they get chilled pretty easily compared to other breeds with similar builds. Be patient, you will see your boy soon enough!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rebooked for this upcoming Sunday. The long term forecast looks good both here and there!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a sweetheart this kitten is. He is much smaller than I expected him to be. I'll be taking some pics tomorrow.

Edit: The gooseberry green is coming in around his pupils (=

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You must be so pleased, wasn't it all worth the wait?
Can't wait to see the pics! And if his eyes are clearly turning green at this age, you're in good shape.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so tired! I'm at work and the kitten is at home, locked into a bedroom with all of his stuff. I will post in new kittens or in behaviour, but last night was pretty typical of a kitten's first night home.

He is much slighter than I was expecting, and athletic! My currrent cat can't jump as high as this 5 month old. He went up my clothes in the closet, to the top shelf where I store my pillows in the first 5 minutes of being in my room.

He's very delicate in his colouring and frame, with a little worried looking face and perfect spots. I hope to get pictures after work, but he won't stay still.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad he's home now
Can't wait for pictures. Maybe try to catch him sleeping for the first few pictures - at least he won't be moving

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will, but in the 18 hours I have owned him, I haven't seen him sleep!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he IS very handsome. Should do well. Just practice show handling and stretching him out and getting him to jump for feather toys

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In addition to the handling, start bathing him early too. If they're not used to bathing by the time they're big enough to resist, you'll never get a Mau to take a bath. I've met quite a few breeders and exhibitors that can only wipe down their cats since they don't take well to bathing. Suffice to say, the clean Maus beat them hands down. Presentation and condition is (almost) everything.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? I've not met a cat yet I could not bathe. But if they are show cats, then they should (in any breed) get used to baths and grooming from the beginning