ipod prices in US

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone give me an idea of how much an ipod classic costs in the US? And where the cheapest place to buy one is?

I'm after one for christmas (getting money from family towards it). My sister is visiting the US (NYC) in a couple of weeks and she and my brother in law plan to buy themselves ipods over there since they will be cheaper, esp with the exchange rate being so good at the moment (for us
). She's offered to get me one too so I'm trying to do a bit of research into prices over here and in the US to see what the difference is and whether it will be worth getting one from the US. Can anyone help?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad had gotten my Ipod mini 6GB with an engraved personal phrase on it from Japan for about $190. This was in around 2005. U.S. ones seem to cost more than direct from Japan.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wanted to add;
There was a special on CNN news about the rising cases for Ipod theft and mugging. There's special cases that disguise Ipods out now because of how popular and easy it is to steal one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So are ipod prices pretty much the same most places then? That's the way it is over here - you don't really get many special offers or discounts on them. I want a 160GB classic (or a 80GB if I can't afford that!) and the US price works out about £35 cheaper than buying it over here so that's a saving worth having since my sister is going over anyway.

I did think about ebay - I bought the ipod mini I currently have on ebay - but you have to be so careful not to be ripped off on there and I doubt I'd get one cheaper than buying it in the US, tbh.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're right about the prices being more or less the same...how very exciting to get a new one!!

I have such a love-hate relationship with my old green i-pod mini... on one hand it's still performing well, on the other hand I'm ready for it to go already because I want one that's tiny and has a color screen