I'm Really Getting Pathetic...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, we ran out of canned cat food (and we're broke right now, so can't get anymore till payday), and all my furbabies, plus our strays, are used to getting their "treats" every day. Last night, while I'm filling up the strays' pan w/ their dry food, I'm getting that 'look' that says, "Is THIS all we're getting tonight?? Where's the good stuff??!!
Talk about spoiled rotten brats..

So this morning, here I am looking in the freezer for leftover meat, or hamburger or something to give to them, so their 'majesties' can have their treats tonight..

I'm really getting pathetic..

~KK~

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've recieved a few evil glances before when i ran out of kitty treats
I understand completly!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since posting about feeding my kitties fish, I now keep a bag of Pollock fillets in the freezer. It's so cheap to buy and the fillets are quite big. I've never seen a bowl licked clean again!!!

I give them to them when I run out of canned. Then they think the fish is a treat, rather than a way of being able to feed them.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not pathetic at all! Last winter when we were living in my MIL's old house, she had a freezer of old roasts...most of which were freezer burned. I would not only cook them up for the barn cats, I would spend an hour cutting an entire roast down into bite size pieces to make sure everyone got their share!
DH would just roll his eyes at me.

Our outdoor cats LOVE left overs. Do you have any rice? That's a cheap, easy and filling meal, especially if you have some chicken or beef boullion to pour over it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Do you have any leftover turkey and gravy? Dice it up, and heat in the gravy, and let it cool off awhile before feeding it to them. You could also simmer the carcass, and makea broth to pour over dry food or rice.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least they only stare at you...my cry. after a few days they'll forget the treats and be pleasentlly surprised on payday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You're not pathetic at all! Last winter when we were living in my MIL's old house, she had a freezer of old roasts...most of which were freezer burned. I would not only cook them up for the barn cats, I would spend an hour cutting an entire roast down into bite size pieces to make sure everyone got their share!
DH would just roll his eyes at me.
I do the same thing! Cut the meat into bite-sized cat pieces!
My s/o stands there and rolls his eyes at me, and usually says, "They do have teeth, you know!..

When my son came to visit last March, we had a cook-out, and I took the leftover meat and proceeded to cut it up. My son just stood there and said, "I CAN'T believe you're doing that!"
I replied back, "Well, you know how I am - it shouldn't surprise you any. Besides, I did it for YOU too, when you were a baby!"

Our outdoor cats LOVE left overs. Do you have any rice? That's a cheap, easy and filling meal, especially if you have some chicken or beef boullion to pour over it.
I've never heard of cats eating rice, but that's a good idea.
I'll have to try it sometime!

I usually don't even run out of treats or canned food for the furbabies, but we've got more strays coming every day.
(you know how cats have their 'party-line' to other cats
) I wasn't prepared, and just didn't get enough this time...

I ought to buy some stock in one of the cat food companies: I'd be rich by now..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Do you have any leftover turkey and gravy? Dice it up, and heat in the gravy, and let it cool off awhile before feeding it to them. You could also simmer the carcass, and makea broth to pour over dry food or rice.
Nope - no leftover turkey. I thought my s/o had to work on Thanksgiving day, so didn't bother getting a Thanksgiving day meal.
And w/ just the two of us, we would have had turkey for a month...

I stand corrected - not with all THESE strays!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

At least they only stare at you...my cry. after a few days they'll forget the treats and be pleasentlly surprised on payday
Oh, they don't just stare at me.
I get cussed out plenty
too..

I made it up to them, the spoiled rotten brats!
I found some bacon-wrapped burgers and leftover pork chops in the freezer..

~KK~

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're near a Trader Joe's, they have kitty tuna, with the extra vitamins... 29 cents a can. i don't know if you can scrounge together a buck or two, but they might be an option...

the leftover/freezer burned meats are good idea too...

I have a book around here for making kitty treats... but I can't find it right now... I sear I just saw it... maybe your local library has something similar...

Good luck!
Amanda

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

If you're near a Trader Joe's, they have kitty tuna, with the extra vitamins... 29 cents a can. i don't know if you can scrounge together a buck or two, but they might be an option...

the leftover/freezer burned meats are good idea too...

I have a book around here for making kitty treats... but I can't find it right now... I sear I just saw it... maybe your local library has something similar...

Good luck!
Amanda
No, we don't have a Trader Joe's in the area (I've never even heard of it
), but thanks for the tip!

The furbabies are not going without: I found some leftover meat in the freezer, and they'll have enough to last till payday..
Thanks goodness, b/c if I get that look just one more time.....

~KK~