Cat/Kitten Clothings

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen plenty of sites offering cute sweaters and coats/apparels for dogs but it's so difficult to find a site which sells cat apparels. Is it true that cats/kittens hate to wear clothings? Since winter is approaching and the temperature is dropping fast, I would love to get a cozy sweater for Lucy Belle.

Anyone have a good site to recommend? Do your cat/kitten wear apparels?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see no good reason for putting any clothes on cats. They are well covered naturally and should be warm enough in any normal house. They have an instinct for finding a warm place to sleep. In a garage or shed, provide them with a warm, lined draught-free box. If outside, any clothing would be dangerous as they might catch it on something.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver has a few things, but he doesn't wear them on a regular basis... a hoodie and a coat that he wears if I have to like take him to the vet or somewhere when it's cold out (if it'll be a long car ride, I take it off once the car is warm) and he has a ducky bath robe that he wears in the winter after his baths (after I've held him in towels for awhile)... then he has a couple of halloween costumes but that's all... he does have a few bandanas that he likes to wear... I make sure that they sit almost like on his shoulders - where he can't step through them but he easily gets them off if they're buggin him or in the way of his preening

The only real cause I've seen for cats needing clothes are in the cases of hairless sphynx cats that live in colder climates.... other than that, their fur pretty much keeps them warm enough (guess I'm just an over protective mama haha)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't mind, but others will act like some horrible monster is on them.

One problem is that it's a cats nature to groom a lot and clothes would get in the way, or even make them feel like something is on their fur. But you won't know till you test your kitty. You could try getting a dog sweater and taking it in a little so it fits better.

And never leave your kitty unsupervised with any sort of clothing on. There's always a chance that they could get a paw stuck somehow or get caught on something.

Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

The only real cause I've seen for cats needing clothes are in the cases of hairless sphynx cats that live in colder climates.... other than that, their fur pretty much keeps them warm enough
Kitties after surgeries that leave them partially shaved would probably benefit too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the input! I didn't realize that clothings will pose a danger to my kitty. Well, the only reason why I am asking is because I will be taking my Lucy Belle to the vet and it is only about 5 mins away. I am lucky coz my vet's office is practically down the street from where I live. Since it's so near, I thought of walking and carrying her in her Sleepypod. I am just afraid that she might feel cold since the top of the carrier is practically open air with mesh nettings.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^In that case you could try a throw or baby blanket over the top to keep the cold air out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UMM I have to see Oliver in his bathrobe

Zoey tolerates an occational tshirt( her sister Gigi is a yorkie and has the clothes)

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

UMM I have to see Oliver in his bathrobe

Zoey tolerates an occational tshirt( her sister Gigi is a yorkie and has the clothes)
Haha, ok... I'll post again in a second with a link... he's not a huge fan and is obviously stomping when he walks in it haha, but it helps get him just a little bit dryer and preen a little less which = less hairballs

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh btw, I had Oliver's hoodie "custom made" by a woman through ebay (that's how she sells her stuff, all custom made)... you send her measurements: around the neck, chest, belly and paws plus like arm and back length I think (I was in college at the time so I used string to wrap around the various areas then measured the string on a ruler)... it came out great and fits purrfectly... I think I can dig up her ebay store ID or seller ID if anyone's interested... it wasn't overly expensive either and she had lots of styles/designs

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
can i get the information for the custom cat hoodies? that sounds like something i would be interested in. Any information you have would be great

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BuzbyJLC10 : Thanks for the pics of Oliver! Absolutely adorable!

mom2raven : Great stuffs from the site. I see lotsa cutesy stuffs there!

I might just get one sweater for Lucy Belle to try on first and see how well she tolerates it. But looking at her, I don't think she's the kind of kitty that wants to be dressed up.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just went into my favorite sellers list and the user (comfycoziness) doesn't currently have anything for sale unforutunately.... but the "contact user" link still works, so maybe you could send her a message that way... sorry, it was probably over a year ago that I had ordered the hoodie... maybe she's not doing it anymore

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I did a quick ebay search and here is another woman (I'm assuming) that apparently custom makes her dog apparel (the woman I ordered mine from also advertised as "dog apparell" I told her it was actually for my cat and she asked for a pic once I got it!)... I obviously can't garuntee that this might be the same person, but it looks similar at least... she asks for the same measurements and such... you could always message and maybe ask if the first user ID I had posted was like an old name of hers or something.... it looks like she has some cute stuff!

I like the custom made stuff because every pet is so different... Ollie's ducky robe is commercial and I had to like roll up and hand stitch the sleeves cuz they were way too long, but the rest of it fits him correctly - minor detail, easy to fix but a little annoying

http://stores.ebay.com/Fur-Baby-Fashions-Dog-Apparel

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OMG! I love the pics of Oliver!

Have you ever posted those in Fur pics? You really should.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

OMG! I love the pics of Oliver!

Have you ever posted those in Fur pics? You really should.
No I havent... I should just post the link to the Oliver album in photobook... I've got like a bajillion pictures of him and the dog, but I only select a few to stick in the albums online

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Build-a-Bear clothes fit cats pretty well. Don't ask how I know that.
I didn't stick my bear's clothes on my cats, of course not.

But they have cute clothes, and most of them are between 5 and 10 bucks.