My skin has never been so dry in my life!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My skin is horribly dry and it's flaking off.. my legs, arms, scalp, face, EVERYTHING is itchy and dry as a bone. My skin started becoming very itchy after a bath I had today. We didn't change laundry detergent, soap, or shampoo. I actually have little sores near my hairline from the itching. My skin feels like the hooks on velcro, scraping against my clothes. My mom bought my goat's milk soap and dry/dandruff shampoo; I used that and I didn't itch as long as my hair/skin was still damp. About fifteen minutes ago I put on some body lotion and my skin feels moister to the touch but it's still dry, sore, and itchy. What can I do?
It feels like I'm going to scratch my skin off!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have Vaseline Petroleum Jelly? The best moisturizer for dry skin is plain Vaseline. Have a warm (not hot) shower, and don't dry with a towel. Just rub in the Vaseline onto wet skin.

Also for the itch you can take some Benadryl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Do you have Vaseline Petroleum Jelly? The best moisturizer for dry skin is plain Vaseline. Have a warm (not hot) shower, and don't dry with a towel. Just rub in the Vaseline onto wet skin.

Also for the itch you can take some Benadryl.
We don't have any Vaseline or Benadryl. We have baby oil and various lotions and stuff..

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For your skin... try udderly smooth or something with lanolin. For your scalp, try nyzoral. Both are to die for! The udderly smooth, is real inexpensive and works wonders. The nyzoral is a little expensive especially for shampoo, but even me being the worlds biggest tightwad, it's so worth it!!!! Good luck honey and I hope you feel better. I've been having problems this year too with super dry skin!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have psoriasis on my hands and feet and nothing else works for me but a lotion called udderly smooth udder cream. You might want to try it....its great.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Try baby oil on your skin the same way as I described using the vaseline.
Tomorrow morning I'll try that and see how it works.

Originally Posted by SillyJilly

For your skin... try udderly smooth or something with lanolin. For your scalp, try nyzoral. Both are to die for! The udderly smooth, is real inexpensive and works wonders. The nyzoral is a little expensive especially for shampoo, but even me being the worlds biggest tightwad, it's so worth it!!!! Good luck honey and I hope you feel better. I've been having problems this year too with super dry skin!
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

I have psoriasis on my hands and feet and nothing else works for me but a lotion called udderly smooth udder cream. You might want to try it....its great.
I haven't heard of Nyzoral but I've heard of Udderly Smooth. I'll run down to the store tomorrow, if it's open, to see if they have those products there. Hopefully they'll work!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I'll run down to the store tomorrow, if it's open, to see if they have those products there. Hopefully they'll work!
While there pick up some Benadryl and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. I have extremely dry skin and have been to an allergist and dermatologist and both have told me that the best moisturizer for dry skin is plain Vaseline applied to wet skin

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

While there pick up some Benadryl and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. I have extremely dry skin and have been to an allergist and dermatologist and both have told me that the best moisturizer for dry skin is plain Vaseline applied to wet skin
Definitely! How does Benadryl help dry skin? I've never heard of it being a treatment of sorts for dry skin.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you mentioned having sores, why don't you consider a dermatologist visit?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Definitely! How does Benadryl help dry skin? I've never heard of it being a treatment of sorts for dry skin.
Benadryl helps with the itch.

I have dermatographism. It literally means "skin writing".

http://allergies.about.com/od/urtica...tographism.htm

http://www.healthy-skincare.com/dermatographism.html

More images of the results of dermatographism

Part of my treatment plan is to take Benadryl for the itch and to slather myself with Vaseline right out of the shower. It helps. I still get itchy, but nothing like I was.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cocoa butter is also pretty good. Get the stuff that pregnant women use, it's practically straight and pure cocoa butter. It's a bit greasy but if you use just a little, you'll see a difference. It's like chapstick for skin.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badninjakitties

poor you!! it looks really painful
Not painful, just really, really itchy! If I get an itch I have to use something sharp (like a serrated knife or a dry loofah and even my cat's wire brush) to scratch it otherwise I get hive welts and there is nothing worse than the prickly itch of hives. I take Benadryl every night before bed because the blankets moving against my skin are enough to cause me to break out in hives.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My skin doesn't get as bad as yours, however in the winter my legs will get really scaley.

The only moisturizer I found to work for me is Aveeno (I use just the daily moisterizer). It's good enough to last 20-24 hours...so I don't have to keep reapplying the stuff.

You may also consider getting a warm misting humidifier in the house. This will help your skin as well.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother also had severe dry skin and our pharmacist recommended taking vitamin A supplements. Consult a physician.