Need Help with a Picky Kitten

vegaskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a 8 week old kitten. I am having problems getting him to eat kitten food

The previous owner ( I don't think was the "breeder") told me they have only gotten him to eat turkey lunch meat and hotdogs! Of course that is not a healthy diet for a growing kitten!

I have tried both cruddy food and good food (kitten chow and chicken soup dry and Merrick grammy's Pot Pie and Friskies wet)

I know he is hungry, he cries at my fridge. I just don't know what to do! Should I just keep offering him the dry and wet and hope he will eventually eat? Is there any other brands that may entice him more? He is happy healthy and playful, just not eating!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is not eating much on something like merrick he is fine just adjusting to a better food...

where do you shop??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vegaskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pretty much everything available to me./ Petco, petsmart, walmart, a couple feed stores that sell good food and smaller pet shops

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ya I agree! If your worried though give him a little kitty formula! That has everything a growing kitty needs!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well IMHO good food can be had at big box pet stores as well as small...

Since your having picky issues I would suggest Blue spa ... normally not a recomendation due to high grain levels but it is tasty

Others to look at Nutro, Natural balance, Royal canin , Authority

you may want to pick up some KMR 2 ( i know it says to 8 weeks but it can help with feeding time)

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kids are pretty freakin' picky.

Pick up some "kitty kaviar" and sprinkle it on top or mix it in. It helps a lot.
It's just dried bonito flakes, so you can also get this at asian food stores, just make sure there's no salt if you get it at the people store.

other than that, just keep trying

It took me quite a long time to find a food we can all kinda agree on.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed my cat BLUE Spa long-term, but FWIW, I just gave her an EVO vs. BLUE Spa taste test, and she chose EVO.

vegaskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just keep trying different ones, I'm sure there must be something he likes. He just sniffs the food and walks away. I think I will also try raw as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by VegasKitty

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just keep trying different ones, I'm sure there must be something he likes. He just sniffs the food and walks away. I think I will also try raw as well.
CAUTION... If doing raw you will save yourself alot of pain and a big learning curve by finding a like minded vet

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not great food but I've never seen a kitten turn away Iams Kitten dry food. It's better than not eating.

Try Nutro Dry cat food, it has a small kibble that most kittens seem to like. You have to be careful switching dry food all the time because of sensitive kitten stomachs (I don't think you have to be as slow with wet food).

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the only thing your kitten has had is lunch meat and hotdogs, it may not realize what cat food is. You could try putting a little of the wet food on your finger and put it in his mouth, gently of course, and give him a taste. It's worked many times for me.

vegaskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally have gotten him to eat Royal Canin Babycat...so for now that is what I am sticking with.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
now if you're lucky kitty will continue to eat it...

Chloe decides every couple weeks or so that she hates her food and won't touch it, then I have to go through the same old cycle all over again.

aw well...