Onion smell on hands

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you get rid of onion/garlic smell on your hands? I really hate having to chop them up as the smell on my hands are gross

I've tried washing them, soaking them in warm water and soap, and the antibaterial stuff. I've even used nail polish remover, but the smell just sticks.

Any suggestions??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this was from a couple of days ago...part of the mixture of stuffing that I made. I purposely bought a chopper so that I would reduce the amount to touch the onions...however I still have to cut it up to fit until the chopper.

I think the last time I touched an onion the smell was there for over a week. I'll try that stainless steel idea.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that smell. I used to have to cut big containers of onions every night at work and the smell would never come out. I wish someone had told me about the stainless steel before I quit that job.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try lemon juice.

When I cut anything smelly like onions I wear surgical gloves.

I also buy jars of minced garlic instead of the fresh where I have to mince it myself. I find that it tastes the same and 1 teaspoon equals 2 cloves.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep stainless steel believe it or not works well - if you chop onions and garlic regularly it's worth getting a bar of stainless steel to keep by the sink for just that purpose

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Yep stainless steel believe it or not works well - if you chop onions and garlic regularly it's worth getting a bar of stainless steel to keep by the sink for just that purpose
I have one - it looks like a silver bar of soap. It is unbelievable that it works, but it is AMAZING. Takes away stinky tuna smell, onion, garlic, anything stinky.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have one - it looks like a silver bar of soap. It is unbelievable that it works, but it is AMAZING. Takes away stinky tuna smell, onion, garlic, anything stinky.
Now Sonic would not be amused if my hands never had smells on them from preparing fish- he goes all purry and snorts all over my hands

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that rubbing your hands with a slice of lemon will take that smell away. I really don't know, because I always wear surgical gloves when I cut up smelly vegetables like onion or celery. That's one thing I'd really miss if I ever left surgery! I wear surgical gloves for everything.....cooking, cleaning, gardening, painting. I just hate getting anything under my fingernails!!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now Sonic would not be amused if my hands never had smells on them from preparing fish- he goes all purry and snorts all over my hands
Well, if you enjoy kitty snorts all over your hands, who am I to get in your way?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone!

I have a lemon here that I think I will try using. I'll have to add that stainless steel bar to our registry. B loves onions and I love garlic. we're a pair of stinky breaths

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks people...well the lemon does get rid of the onion smell...however now my hands smell like lemons.

I can tolerate that though...I like the smell of lemons and I'm sure it'll only last a day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since most of us have stainless steel sinks here, I assume just cleaning our sink after cooking would get rid of the smells.

I actually don't mind the smell of cooking ingredients on my hands but I haven't found it ever lasted very long so maybe the SS sink does have it's merits.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Since most of us have stainless steel sinks here, I assume just cleaning our sink after cooking would get rid of the smells.
It does! There's no need to buy anything if you already have a stainless steel sink, just rub your hands on your sink, or if you have other stainless steel appliances. My sink is 70s yellow enamel, but the toaster oven works too.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Most kitchen faucets are made of stainless steel. Just rub your hands on the faucet as you run them under the water. No need to go out and buy a bar of steel! The knife you used is also most likely stainless!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Thanks people...well the lemon does get rid of the onion smell...however now my hands smell like lemons.

I can tolerate that though...I like the smell of lemons and I'm sure it'll only last a day.
Yep! Lemons are great. It's an old chef's trick. Years ago when I used to work in a restaurant a chef gave me that tip and I've used it ever since.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

It does! There's no need to buy anything if you already have a stainless steel sink, just rub your hands on your sink, or if you have other stainless steel appliances. My sink is 70s yellow enamel, but the toaster oven works too.
Ew. My sink is always dirty (it seems)

Maybe I'll try the refrigerator!

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Milk is supposed to help with neutralizing the acids in onions and help with the smell.
am not an onion liker so have never had to try it.