Hagen Catit Drinking Fountain

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get a drinking fountain and was looking at the reviews for all of them and found this one to be pretty easy to take apart and clean (which is important). It is also good for multiple cats and quiet.
Does anyone have this fountain? Do you like it? What are the cons? Would you recommend it?

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Catit-Dr...5909908&sr=8-1

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one and they really enjoyed the dome part. It was very quiet, but I actually didn't find it as easy to clean as I'd hoped. The other reason I got rid of it was that the capacity was smaller and with all the exposed surface area the water evaporated quickly.

I replaced it with a drinkwell with the optional resevoir.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I had one and they really enjoyed the dome part. It was very quiet, but I actually didn't find it as easy to clean as I'd hoped. The other reason I got rid of it was that the capacity was smaller and with all the exposed surface area the water evaporated quickly.

I replaced it with a drinkwell with the optional resevoir.
That's good to know. I just don't know which one is the best available. Do you have a link of the one you have?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with JellyBella. It's overall a good product, but I found my one went through the water at an amazing rate. It just evaporates away, especially in winter, and I was constantly having to refill it as it gets really noisy when the water is too low.
I also suspect that the large surface area makes it pick up more dust than a smaller one would. I would have to clean out the filter every week because of all the accumulation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I agree with JellyBella. It's overall a good product, but I found my one went through the water at an amazing rate. It just evaporates away, especially in winter, and I was constantly having to refill it as it gets really noisy when the water is too low.
I also suspect that the large surface area makes it pick up more dust than a smaller one would. I would have to clean out the filter every week because of all the accumulation.
Do you have any suggestions of ones you found to be worth the money? I really need one due to a kitty have constant UTI's.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the only fountain that I've used.
My cats both liked it and used it without hesitation. I thought overall it was a good product, if you're prepared to clean it every week.
I would suggest trying the ones with a little bowl that gets filled, rather than the dome. Petsmart has a few different styles to choose from, like Drinkwell or the Petmate fountain.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the CatIt and I love it. I make cleaning it every Saturday part of my cleaning routine. I don't find it difficult to clean.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both the catit and the freshflow.
The catit was nice, because it had a big filling area (in my opinion). I had to fill it up every three days with my two cats. Pushy lady is right though, it does get empty faster during the winter. I did not like the filters on it, they had to be cleaned really often and the top was difficult to put back onto the bottom part most of the time. By the end it was also pretty loud, because the spring that lets the water loose wouldn't work and the pump was constantly searching for water.
I like my freshflow better. It's quiet, and easy to put the water into (no struggling to fit top to bottom). The filters are more efficient too. Taking it apart for cleaning can be a hassle, but I find it gets easier as you do it because the plastic gets used to being taken apart and put back together. I have a medium sized one, and I would say for sure to try to get a large one (I think they have them for dogs too). I need to fill up my canister every day or every other day with 2 cats. Really wouldn't want to see the small one!
The new platinum drinkwells intrigue me, but I don't think I'd like the sound of the water running 24/7 and they're more expensive. They do have the extra sized canisters though, if that's a big concern.
Hope that helps, I know I'm saying some stuff the other folks said, but it helps to have more than one opinion

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

That's good to know. I just don't know which one is the best available. Do you have a link of the one you have?
This is the one I have:
http://www.vetventures.com/original.asp

They are available at most major pet chains in the US, amazon.com and other mail order sites. I actually got mine from the Drs Foster & Smith catalog during a sale.

The biggest problem I had with the cat-it was putting it back together. There was this plastic piece with screw threads, and I was always worried that I would strip them or crack the plastic if I twisted too tightly.

Not to mention, trying to twist a slippery plastic piece out of another plastic piece isn't fun. I like the drinkwell because the pieces just fit together, no twisting required and the filters are more like fish tank filters. I always worried about not being able to find the dang filters.