managing UTI issues with prescription dry food

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do you think about this?

Do you think cats with UTIs can live a long and healthy life if their owners choose to manage the disease with prescription dry food for life instead of making the switch to 100% wet food? If it were my cat I would choose the wet option but we have no control over what other people decide to do. I'm referring to a family member's cat and unfortunately I may be watching this cat's health deteriorate which will make me sad even though it's not my cat.

dogrunner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depends on the cat. I know of one who lived to 17, despite having serious UTI issues since he was 8, and he was on Science Diet prescription kibble. Maybe you can give them water fountain for the kitty as a gift--more water helps!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES Many cats live long healthier lives on RX food for whatever the cause .... REMEMBER RXs have MORE study done than any other foods and it is % not ingrediants that make them work

If the cat is not doing well perhaps you can go with to a vet visit and ask some ??s I have done this for a friend of my mom...

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

What do you think about this?

Do you think cats with UTIs can live a long and healthy life if their owners choose to manage the disease with prescription dry food for life instead of making the switch to 100% wet food? If it were my cat I would choose the wet option but we have no control over what other people decide to do. I'm referring to a family member's cat and unfortunately I may be watching this cat's health deteriorate which will make me sad even though it's not my cat.
The cat's health should not be deteriorating on prescription dry food.
My cat is on prescription dry food (waltham so) and he doesn't have urinary issues he had before he was switched on that food. I don't think that just switching cat to a 100 % wet food would read him of his UTI issues anyway.