When delivery guys/handymen come around...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you monitor them or leave them to do their job?

I usually try to find something to do in the next room or in the same room (clean, reading, etc), but I try to keep a slightly watchful eye on them without micromanaging them.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I usually try to find something to do in the next room or in the same room (clean, reading, etc), but I try to keep a slightly watchful eye on them without micromanaging them.
exactly what I do, I don't want to get in their way, but I don't trust strangers in my home

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is someone I don't know I watch but stay out of the way. We had a few neighborhood people painting during the summer and I let them work without watching.

Now when we had our bedroom furniture delivered, I never left their sight. I don't trust people in my bedroom.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't like strangers in the house. At our apartment the mantainace guy would come while we were gone. I just hated that! And at the apartment before (college apartment) he would just walk in without knocking! He had a key and I guess he thought he owned the place. He was a really scarey looking guy, almost looked like some one picked him up off the street and offered him a painting job!!!! It was scarey! I hated being there alone when he came over. He had a long beard, smelled and looked like he hadn't showered for days, and his clothes were just disgusting! I had to clean the place after he left because he shoes were always dirty.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i voted for [4], but it's actually my dad & i
i've only had repairmen over about 2-3 times that weren't related to me - those i watch, but stay out of the way.
i don't have much they'd want to steal, anyway!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Yeah, I don't like strangers in the house. At our apartment the mantainace guy would come while we were gone. I just hated that! And at the apartment before (college apartment) he would just walk in without knocking! He had a key and I guess he thought he owned the place. He was a really scarey looking guy, almost looked like some one picked him up off the street and offered him a painting job!!!! It was scarey! I hated being there alone when he came over. He had a long beard, smelled and looked like he hadn't showered for days, and his clothes were just disgusting! I had to clean the place after he left because he shoes were always dirty.
OMG I sooooo would have complained about that. It may be different between states, however in MI they weren't allowed to enter without permission. Otherwise they had to wait until you got home.

I remember one lawsuit/class action in the area I use to live because the maintenance man would come by to fix stuff....at 2 am!! There was a lawsuit only because it was happening to the single women of the apartment complex and management didn't do much to intervene (i.e. fire the guy)

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kindof a hoverer BUT I am a very inquisative person so I ask a lot of questions, like, do you like what you do? How did you learn to do that? Blah blah blah blah blah! You get to know if someone really knows what they are doing by their anwsers.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am super careful when it comes to strangers in my home. I usually have Jim here with me because you really just dont know.

Even if its someone I know, I am always close by, because I have cats and I am always making sure that nothing is happening that will harm them, like leaving a door open. You just never know.

People who do things for us that we know and use regularly have all received the 3rd degree about my cats and know that Im sitting there watching with an eagle eye

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well me or my mom usually watches them (usually my mom because I don't feel comfortable around people I don't know). The heating guys come once a year to clean the vents out so they are right by my macaw....and I don't feel comfortable leaving someone who I don't know around my baby. Charlie loves to talk to them and watch them though.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep an eye on our apartment handy guys when they come in. I don't like strangers in my home very much either but I won't get in the way. I also ask if they need my help as well which sometimes they do. Sometimes though, I'm a bit busy trying to keep the kittens out of their way!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I do the same thing. I don't want to get in someone's way and be annoying in any way while they're trying to do their job (because i wouldn't want someone doing that to me.) But I am always close by - usually in the next room and i will check in on them once in a while and offer them a cold drink or something to eat (and kind of check on the job they're doing while trying to be polite
)

I am VERY careful about having strangers in my house- i do not trust men i do not know- i'm just really careful. If i'm expecting to have someone strange in my home- i always try to schedule it for when Colin is off work to be here with me. When people come over- i normally put the kitties up in the cat room because i'm always afraid someone will leave a door open. I also put Fosters our Aussie, up in the master bedroom because i know he'd just be right there in their way while they try and work ...he'd try and slobber them to death
Whiskey though- he's my little guard dog- i keep him close by- he stays right with me when i have a repair person over- i know he'd go after someone in a heart beat if they tried to hurt me.

Also....the cop car parked out in the driveway is normally a bit motivating for people not to try anything rotten
That and well, this Southern Belle can shoot a gun like it's nobodys business
I can take care of myself- but i am always cautious!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I say in a nearby room and do my own thing, leaving them to their expertise. I keep myself in hearing distance, though, in case they need my help for something ("Please sign here, ma'am."). Plus, it's practically a law that no stranger can be left alone with Willow hovering around somewhere... lol

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually hang around in case they have questions. The last few workers that have been here were the cable phone repair people. I've been having issues with my cable phone since I switched in March....wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!! I've had repair guys here 6 times so far this past month! I was still having issues Wednesday, so it still isn't fixed! I prefer to be close by in case they need to go outside to get supplies. I want to make sure none of the girls get too curious about the door being opened and closed. I've never had a problem with anything missing, so I'm not worried about that type of thing. I just want to be there to keep an eye on the kitties or answer any questions they might have.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stay in the next room, and try and think of excuses to go into whatever room the guy is in. I'm paranoid about about my stuff getting nicked coz I don't have alot of money to replace things for that reason. Also, I'm weary for my own safety.