Nikita = mighty hunter

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I borrowed a camera of a friend of mine. I still need a proper camera very badly though but this one is better than the other borrowed camera I had.

She can be really long when she stretches out

On Alert

We're still having mouse infestation issues, I got home from work day before yesterday and Nikita wasn't at the door like she usually is. She came running though and was acting really excited and meowed lots and got me to follow her into the living room where she was trying to dig under her pet pillow. Woosh a mouse ran out from underneath it when I lifted it up.

The mouse was pretty stunned and mostly just sat there completely terrified I guess. Nikita poked it and chased it and after snapping the photo I ran off with a bag to try to catch the mouse myself. That perked it up and it ran off and ran under the door into my storage room and disappeared. Nikita was quite upset at me that I couldn't bring that great self propelled toy back.

She has been very helpful with the mouse problem though. She doesn't kill the mice though, just plays with them and scares them off. I was talking to my neighbour and they're overrun with mice, see 3-4 of them skuttling around every day even though they're using mousetraps.

I see none usually, lately it's been one very excited Nikita chasing a mouse every two weeks or so. I live in a house that was built in the sixties, the eighteen sixties i.e 1860 and it's very hard to prevent mice completely. It's usually not bad but they've been getting worse now that the winter is setting in and there has been construction work going on nearby which up roots them.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are VERY jealous that Nikita gets to play with REAL mice instead of stupid FAKE mice.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We only had one tiny mouse in 7 years...
Dexter and Sadie looked at it...then at me like they were asking, "what is that Mom?"

The mouse ran away and I have never seen another one.

In a populated area, I would have concerns that a mouse might had gotten into rat poison. They could be toxic to cats.

Nikita is stunning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

In a populated area, I would have concerns that a mouse might had gotten into rat poison. They could be toxic to cats.
Fortunately she doesn't eat the mice. She does pick them up with her mouth and spit them out again (in my bag or shoe or..) and she's very good at catching them but she hasn't figured out the killing and eating part. Not sure she will. She's well fed and wasn't taught that part of hunting by her mother obviously.

I try to get the mice when I'm there because it's not very nice seeing your cat play like that with a living creature, so far they tend to escape eventually though before I managed to get them.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much does Nikita weigh?
she is so shiny and sleek...
simply beautiful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just under 12 pounds now. She's actually lost a little bit of weight a few weeks ago when she had an upset tummy so she's a tiny bit underweight atm. It's nothing serious and she's definately in the 'normal' range of weight but she lost a bit of muscle.

I just went and checked her out now and she's almost back to normal. None of her weight is excessive fat though, she has a visible waist when seen from above and you can feel her spine, ribs and hip bones when you pet her in addition to hard muscle and soft fur.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

She's just under 12 pounds now. She's actually lost a little bit of weight a few weeks ago when she had an upset tummy so she's a tiny bit underweight atm. It's nothing serious and she's definately in the 'normal' range of weight but she lost a bit of muscle.

I just went and checked her out now and she's almost back to normal. None of her weight is excessive fat though, she has a visible waist when seen from above and you can feel her spine, ribs and hip bones when you pet her in addition to hard muscle and soft fur.
She looks perfect...
a gorgeous cat.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat!

My older cat (Mattie) would be freaked out by a mouse. She might growl at it, but mostly it would scare her. Chloe, I'm not sure. She's pretty mean to her fake ones.