mrsmokey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all

I am new to the forum
I have a cat called Smokey and we are having some trouble with him

The first problem

1. He has a long term on going flee problem (there was a point where it was ok) but in the last few weeks I have noticed his back has scabs on it (like never before)
We brought an electric comb but it seems to be getting worse

What can i use on him to get rid of the fleaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s and prevent them coming back without it harming him .any pills as we use a spray and the comb.

2.he has developed a new habit where he does a POO in the lounge or my mums room and also likes to urinate in my mothers plant pots

He has never done this before
Any ideas why
Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s 8 human years old
Is he having a mid life crisis?????
I will get him a litter tray but whatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s going through his head

3. should i give him a bath, might it be bad for him if so what anti flee shampoo
Shpuld be used

Thanks and sorry I have run out of ideas

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all for fleas, don't even bother with sprays and flea collars and all that over the counter stuff. Simply use Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage or Revolution. They are topical (on the back of the neck) and they can be bought from a vet clinic. The other stuff that you can find at the grocery store or some pet stores are either ineffective or deadly.

For peeing and pooping outside the box, there are MANY reasons but if you don't have a litterbox then of course get one! Then if it continues, take him to the vet to determine if he has a urinary tract infection or something like that going on. Males are typically prone to them. There are ways to prevent them as well such as food quality and adding wet food to the diet. Is the cat neutered? If not, then he will never stop peeing around everywhere, that is what they do when they are left intact.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I read your other post. Whiskas is the bottom line of cat foods. He needs a better quality so that he can live a long healthy life and not need vet visits quite so often. Also to decrease his chances of urinary tract problems. Look for a food (from a pet store, not the grocery store) that does NOT have by-products in it. That is the first step to finding decent cat food. Also, and I don't remember if Whiskas has them or not, but if any of the food pieces are multi-colored, particularly RED, avoid it like the plague because that is something that cats cannot digest and I have read reports of it being carcinogenic but I don't know the truth on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsmokey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the replys Jen

my cats diet varys
we give him dried food daily as well as wet food and when my mother is cooking on a daily basis he gets fresh chicken tuna cheese,lamb what ever we are eating really .

what dried food and wet food do you suggest ??
we use iams

he is not neutered
as i did not feel that i should make that decision and thats how god made him .the thing is he has never pee'd in the house before ever and even now he only does it in the plant pot
i thought cats did it where there are rival cats in the same house so as to mark their area's

againt thanks Jan

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let your cat eat cheese, or tinned tuna. Cats shouldn't eat any dairy products. As for wet food, I use Felix and my cats seem to be doing well on it. Natures Menu is also a good one as it has a really high % of meat, or maybe HiLife. And dry food, I us a mix of James Wellbeloved and Tesco Premium Junior (although you'd use adult) it's only 40p a box and seems okay compared to some.

Some of Whiskers food is okay. They've recently brought out some premium stuff which is really chunks of chicken and that.

I would take your cat to the vet when it comes to peeing. He could have a UTI. Also, is he still goin outside the same amount as he used to? If he's in more, then that could be why. Get a litter tray anyway though.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrSmokey

he is not neutered
as i did not feel that i should make that decision and thats how god made him .the thing is he has never pee'd in the house before ever and even now he only does it in the plant pot
i thought cats did it where there are rival cats in the same house so as to mark their area's
Natures call is very strong, you could lose your boy when it happens..
for his sake and yours he needs to be nutered asap.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please please neuter your cat. Especially if he is going outside. He is just going to impregnate all the other females he meets that aren't spayed. Plus it is also for his health, he can get all sorts of cancers being left intact as well as infections and UTIs etc. He is spraying most likely all over the place outside and possible in your house too. He is peeing in the plants to mark his territory. Please neuter him asap before he ends up with cancer or some other serious medical problem. This will also help him back off on the marking his territory all the time

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the others have said, he needs to be neutered: unneutered cats will pee everywhere to mark their territory. I'm actually quite surprised he hasn't done this already, considering the fact that he's 8, and has never been neutered!

Also, he may have a UTI, and should probably be checked over - especially if he didn't spray before, but is now doing so. Sometimes cats will pee in other places if there's something physically wrong w/ them: it's their way of letting you know there's something wrong..

I wouldn't advise giving your furbaby a lot of "people" food: it's okay to give them a "treat" once in awhile, but it shouldn't be their main diet or every day..
And dairy products aren't to be consumed in large amounts, either: they can cause diarrhea, or be hard on a cat's stomach..

Frontline, Advantage, & Revolution are all good flea products: all you do is squirt the required amount on the back of their neck, as directed. They all work pretty well to keep fleas away, and you don't need to fight w/ your cat by giving them a bath w/ flea shampoo (which IMO, doesn't work that well, anyway!).

~KK~

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrSmokey

2.he has developed a new habit where he does a POO in the lounge or my mums room and also likes to urinate in my mothers plant pots
My cats used to do this, I put decorative rocks on top of the dirt in the pot so the kitties can't scratch. problem solved.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is not neuterd, I am inclined to believe that the peeing/pooping is because he was not neutered. I also suggest getting him checked for a UTI.

As for the fleas, I agree to get one of the flea drops Jen suggested from your vet. It will take 3 months to break the cycle. Keep coming him, & vacuum often. Do not use more than one flea product on him!!! It is important that you only use one flea product, talk to your vet about when you used something on him for fleas last....too many things at once could kill him.