TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Sore Neck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sore Neck

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have had a sore neck for about 3 days now. It hurts if I move my neck in any way. I bought some rub a535 to put on it and that helps for a bit, but then it is just sore again.

Does anyone know any ways to make the pain go away? Should I go to the hospital and get it checked out? If I have to go to the hospital, I can't go until tonight because my boyfriend is at work until 6 and I don't have a car.
post #2 of 11
It sounds like you have quite a lot of spasm. Rather than go to the hospital, go to your GP for some pain relief/muscle relaxants or go to a physiotherapist. Get a heatpack on it or have a hot bath/shower.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
It sounds like you have quite a lot of spasm. Rather than go to the hospital, go to your GP for some pain relief/muscle relaxants or go to a physiotherapist. Get a heatpack on it or have a hot bath/shower.
I get if fairly often, heat usually helps more than anything else
post #4 of 11
Don't take up the Emergency Room recources for a sore neck. A sore neck is not an emergency.

Make an appointment to go and see your family doctor or go to a walk in medical clinic.

You could have pulled some muscles or you could have an infection which has caused your lymph nodes to swell up. Swollen lymph nodes in the neck will cause you pain when you try and turn your head.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
It sounds like you have quite a lot of spasm. Rather than go to the hospital, go to your GP for some pain relief/muscle relaxants or go to a physiotherapist. Get a heatpack on it or have a hot bath/shower.
I don't have a doctor so the hospital is my only option to get any kind of prescription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Don't take up the Emergency Room recources for a sore neck. A sore neck is not an emergency.

Make an appointment to go and see your family doctor or go to a walk in medical clinic.

You could have pulled some muscles or you could have an infection which has caused your lymph nodes to swell up. Swollen lymph nodes in the neck will cause you pain when you try and turn your head.
I don't have a family doctor and there is no walk in clinic here. Everyone just uses the Emergency Room. It is impossible to get a doctor here.
post #6 of 11
Are there no doctors with offices in the hospital? Thats where my GP is. Double check your phone book or call the hospital.

Unless you have been in an accident, are running a fever along with the stiff neck, or having bad spasms it's not even remotely an emergency.

Do you get a stiff neck often - could it be pillow/bed related? Computer monitor too low will also cause neck strain. Past whiplash type injuries can leave some lasting damage, and so can DDD. So it is good to get it checked out eventually.
They'll likely give you an NSAID (depending on the doc's policy on painkillers) and a muscle relaxer. You may also be told to do some light stretching if it's just a muscle problem.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Are there no doctors with offices in the hospital? Thats where my GP is. Double check your phone book or call the hospital.

Unless you have been in an accident, are running a fever along with the stiff neck, or having bad spasms it's not even remotely an emergency.

Do you get a stiff neck often - could it be pillow/bed related? Computer monitor too low will also cause neck strain. Past whiplash type injuries can leave some lasting damage, and so can DDD. So it is good to get it checked out eventually.
They'll likely give you an NSAID (depending on the doc's policy on painkillers) and a muscle relaxer. You may also be told to do some light stretching if it's just a muscle problem.
From looking at the phonebook, it looks like there is one doctor in the hospital here.

I don't get a stiff neck often. I don't remember the last time I had one. I haven't had any type of injury to my neck. I just want the pain to stop because its making it really hard to work.
post #8 of 11
Heat, acetaminophen, and if you can get someone to rub it for you later. This sort of stuff always happens on a Friday, huh?

You didn't answer whether your monitor is low, that will make your pain worse. Try lightly stretching your neck to the left and right, and bringing it down to touch your chest. It might help loosen the muscles some.

Unfortunately, the stretches do little for me, my neck muscles have been tight for so long that my c-spine now curves in the wrong direction. I surprised a doctor with that one, since I never mentioned any pain from it.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Heat, acetaminophen, and if you can get someone to rub it for you later. This sort of stuff always happens on a Friday, huh?

You didn't answer whether your monitor is low, that will make your pain worse. Try lightly stretching your neck to the left and right, and bringing it down to touch your chest. It might help loosen the muscles some.

Unfortunately, the stretches do little for me, my neck muscles have been tight for so long that my c-spine now curves in the wrong direction. I surprised a doctor with that one, since I never mentioned any pain from it.
I just had a bath and that helped for now. It will probably hurt more later, since thats the way its been going for 3 days now.

My monitor isn't low. The only thing I can think of that the pain is from is from work.

I have been trying to stretch my neck as much as I can. I can move it side to side with not too much pain, but if I try to put my chin near my chest, it hurts a lot.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Heat, acetaminophen
Acutally for acute injuries Ice is better. Also Ibuprophen is by far a better pain relieve than acetaminophen. Acetaminophen changes how the pain is perceived. Ibuprophen actually treats the pain by reducing swelling to the area, which reduces the pain instead of just changing our perception of it.
post #11 of 11
^ She said she did not injure her neck though. So for muscle soreness heat will relax the muscle and help get the cramp/stiffness out. That's why the warm bath helped.
And yes, I know the difference between acetaminophen and anti inflammatories. No acute injury or inflammatory condition = no inflammation, that's why I suggested acetaminophen instead.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Sore Neck