Considering getting a 2nd cat

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother now has 3 cats (he wanted two, but via helping neighbors ended up with three) and asked if I wanted the 1-year old female (not spayed yet). I met her over Thanksgiving and am seriously considering it but have a concern.

The way my apartment is arranged, there are 3 main rooms separated by doors: entertainment room, living room/kitchen, and bedroom/bath. As is, I don't see a workable way to keep the 2 cats separate for introductions. I spend most of my time in the entertainment room but walk through the living room and kitchen to get to the bedroom and bath. The kitchen and bath are the only places not carpeted and his food is in the kitchen so the litter box needs to stay where it is in the bathroom. Therefore, Junior (and the new female) would both need full access to the place.

That in mind, any suggestions on how to do the introductions?

Mez

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find there really is no way to predict how 2 cats will get along. Maybe he can bring her over and you can see how that goes first. We recently had to put our 7 year old male to sleep. After crying for 3 days, I got a 4 month old kitten from a local rescue group and my 6 year old female only hissed a few times on day one and after day 2 or 3 there have been no issues at all. We were lucky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilyluvscats

Maybe he can bring her over and you can see how that goes first.
Unfortunately he lives 4 hours away so that would be impractical.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try getting a blanket or other soft object that has her scent on it and leave it around the house, see how your male reacts to it. it's a way of introducing her into the house without actually doing so yet.

If you get her spayed before she comes that might help too, hormones have been known to have an affect on fixed cats, just another variable you don't need.

Does your boy show signs he would welcome a friend? Is he busy, interested in visitors, open to new things? These are far more hopeful signs of his reaction to a potential playmate than shyness, stress over changes in routine, or if his reaction to new things is a fearful or aggressive one.

The female is hopefully getting along fine with the other cats, so her reaction might be less of an issue, but the criteria still apply. If the are both friendly, confident cats, it helps a great deal.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no magic answer, but I'm not sure it's the best idea - much better would be a resident female and new, younger male who's dominant instincts and eventual heavier size (possibly) would be put off by her having been queen of the territory to begin with, and not something to be immediately attacked. Maybe your brother should just try and find another home for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Werebear

Does your boy show signs he would welcome a friend? Is he busy, interested in visitors, open to new things? These are far more hopeful signs of his reaction to a potential playmate than shyness, stress over changes in routine, or if his reaction to new things is a fearful or aggressive one.
Junior is easily startled and is only friendly with me. He initially runs from any visitors but will investigate them later on (but will run again if they reach towards him). My Dad was here a few weekends ago and was able to pet Junior for a few seconds on Sunday so I think if someone else was here longer Junior would warm up to them. I like the idea of getting a blanket or something with her scent on it. I've also considered having a friend bring one of her cats over and seeing how Junior reacts.

As for Larke's comment on size, even though Tabby (the female) is older, Junior is 1.5 to 2 times her size so would have a definite advantage if he decided to defend his territory.

Mez

d.mclain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think getting a secind cat is a great idea. I didn't at first , but we did. They fought for a few weeks but after that they started to love eachother. My kitten is a little hipper and my older one doesn't always like the roughness. But I know they love the compant.
Originally Posted by mezlo

My brother now has 3 cats (he wanted two, but via helping neighbors ended up with three) and asked if I wanted the 1-year old female (not spayed yet). I met her over Thanksgiving and am seriously considering it but have a concern.

The way my apartment is arranged, there are 3 main rooms separated by doors: entertainment room, living room/kitchen, and bedroom/bath. As is, I don't see a workable way to keep the 2 cats separate for introductions. I spend most of my time in the entertainment room but walk through the living room and kitchen to get to the bedroom and bath. The kitchen and bath are the only places not carpeted and his food is in the kitchen so the litter box needs to stay where it is in the bathroom. Therefore, Junior (and the new female) would both need full access to the place.

That in mind, any suggestions on how to do the introductions?

Mez

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, do you have a large crate or cage you can use/borrow for introductions? If not, you can just let them both loose - it will take longer for introductions, but can work out.

I would spay the incoming cat before you even bring her home. That will help a lot.

Some things you can do since you don't have a good way to keep one isolated:

1. Trim ALL nails.

2. Wash both cats in the same shampoo (tho if the one is spayed you can't wash her yet).

3. Sprinkle them both with cornstarch baby powder (ok on the spayed cat).

4. Put a dab of vanilla extract on the nose and butt of both cats.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mez... where I live sounds exactly like you describe where you live! I am getting a new cat on Friday ~ introducing a neutered 1 year old boy to my neutered 1 and a half year old boy. There is no way I could keep one of them in a seperate room... out of the question. I got some great tips from this thread and am going to get a blanket that Caluga (cat 2) has been sleeping on to leave lying around my house. He will arrive in a cat box, be in there for a bit..... then out he will come and I am positive my boys will get on after the initial hissing, etc... at least I hope it works that way
How are your plans going?

lemaier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently added a second cat into my home and took a lot of consideration before doing so, after a lot of research I learned that combining a female with a male is rarely a good idea, espcially if the female is not yet spayed. It's almost a guarantee that they will not get along.

My parents have a female cat and added a second, male and it did not go so well. They figured over time they would adjust but it has been over 6 months and the cats still do not get along. Luckily enough they have a big enough house that they each stay on opposite floors and rarely interact with one another.

As for me, I adopted another male, my apartment sounds quite like yours where they werent not able to be separated, but soon enough my 4 year old male was caring for my male kitten like he was his dad and they are the best of friends and cuddle together every night.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lemaier

As for me, I adopted another male, my apartment sounds quite like yours where they werent not able to be separated, but soon enough my 4 year old male was caring for my male kitten like he was his dad and they are the best of friends and cuddle together every night.
I am feeling hopeful
Sorry to hijack this thread... but how long did it take for your two boys to become pals? I really feel confident, as Sphynx are very sociable and friendly, and I had a long chat to my breeder about it and he said it would be A-OK!!

rushrulz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a one-bedroom apartment, and I kept Tora in one of my bedroom closets initially. I guess it was pretty rough on him, being in such a small space, but it worked. They were kept apart. Mi-ke was a few years old when I got him and had been alone all her life (after leaving her littermates), but they get along OK.