I think Raven HATES her friend!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which totally was not the reaction that I was expecting. I really am not totally sure if she is trying to play with him, trying to show her dominance over him, or trying to kill him!
She will flip him over and go for his neck.
I am worried and wondering how much time to give them. If he was a kitten of her age I would not worry, but since he is only a six week old baby he can't hold his own (she is 15 weeks).
I only have 1 litterbox so I cannot really seperate them (at this point, if it continues this way I may have to though). Sparrow does not really leave the bathroom (where the litterbox and the crate he feels safe in are) and Raven wanders as she pleases.

Thoughts?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is normal. You need another LB....you can make one out of a shoebox, anything. I wouldn't leave them alone together because of size difference. You need to introduce them slowly.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep em near ya and try to give them attention at the same time that way they get used to each other! Kinda does sound like she's trying to kill him though.... It might just take some time but I've never had one go for the neck, Ive had them go other areas lets just say "below the belt" but never for the throat! I hope everything gets better for you! Im sure it will!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was taken last year (July '06) when Go was maybe 7 weeks. Ichi was about 12 weeks. I remember they would play pretty rough and sometimes I thought Go was being strangled to death since he would squeel real loud. Neck attacks were quite common and I would step in but to my amazement Go seemed not to mind and would chase the older kittens for some more rough stuff.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You only just got the new baby a day or two ago. You should read the posts on introducing them to each other. The new one needs to be in a different room for awhile so that the resident cat doesn't feel like her/his territory is being invaded.

If you just put them together from the get go there will be fighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, everything seems to be settling down now. My husband thinks that Raven was just trying to assert her dominance over him. Now they play, and if I think she is playing to rough I seperate them and the silly little guy goes right back to her for more. I do make sure they are seperate when I am not around to supervise and made him a makeshift temperary litterbox.
I think everything will be okay.
We have had a few issues (all normal stuff I think). It was hard to try and get him to eat, he would keep trying to suck my fingers! I bought a can of kitten milk replacer and some wet food and he went right for the wet food and made darned sure that Raven knew that it was HIS. It was too funny, I mean she seems all big and tough and wants him to know that she is the boss but he would not let her near his food. Too cute.
I will certianly keep a close eye on the two of them over the next few weeks until Sparrow gets a little bigger.
One more thing. My silly husband (who acts all gruff) says that we cannot call him Sparrow, that he needs a big tough name. I told him fine, he has to name him then. I am calling him Sparrow until my husband comes up with something "better" lol.
He acts like he hates cats, wants to uphold the manly image, but he baby talks them. I overheard him telling Sparrow that he was the littlest kitty he has ever seen and that he is really cute. And he is always telling me to make sure Raven doesn't hurt him (even though he says he doesn't care). I love my hubby.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

One more thing. My silly husband (who acts all gruff) says that we cannot call him Sparrow, that he needs a big tough name. I told him fine, he has to name him then. I am calling him Sparrow until my husband comes up with something "better" lol.
He acts like he hates cats, wants to uphold the manly image, but he baby talks them. I overheard him telling Sparrow that he was the littlest kitty he has ever seen and that he is really cute. And he is always telling me to make sure Raven doesn't hurt him (even though he says he doesn't care). I love my hubby.
In spite of himself, I think that your husband is falling in love with little Sparrow.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

tell him you named him for a pirate - pirates are tough, aren't they?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

tell him you named him for a pirate - pirates are tough, aren't they?
You are good Laureen.

That's a brilliant idea.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya! Jack Sparrow! From Pirates of the Caribean!! Thats a great idea! (too bad it wasn't mine
) You could call him sparrow for short!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raven and (Captin Jack) Sparrow have been playing together, eating side by side, and sleeping next to each other in the cat crate. Sparrow sleeps in his little box (a tiny shoebox) in the crate, and Raven sleeps next to him in the front of the crate. They greet each other by sniffing noses, she grooms him. He has been brave enough to venture out of the bathroom a little but feels safest in there. He is too darn cute. He seems to have claimed me as mommy and will curl up on my lap and look for something to nurse.
It has also made me more able to get Raven to eat wet food. When I give Sparrow his (he has trouble chewing hard stuff still) I give her a dish of it too and they eat side by side.
I think they are friends. All is well in our house of kids and cats.
Here is a picture of how they sleep in the crate after they eat together, I had to kind of push Raven to the side so you could see Sparrow in the back in his little box.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Grooming each other is an excellent sign of friendship. Sounds like all is going well!

It's sometimes hard to tell when cats are getting too rough, but usually they will shriek and howl when it's bad, and if the aggressor cat lays off when they do so, they are respecting boundaries and are getting along.