Not a happy camper.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at Cali's ( our newest cat) paperwork from the vets and found some things that made my blood boil. First I asked them to test her for all the cat diseases leukemia, FIP etc. Well, I noticed that today she really isn't acting herself so to speak( I know I've only had her three days but she seems a little..off in a sense, lethargic, doesn't come when we come down to see her like she has been doing, but is still eating, drinking and pottying, so I'm not sure what's up until I see that on her paperwork they vaccinated her for leukemia, and FIP! Now one might ask why I didn't say anything while I was there, well they took her into the back while I waited in the waiting room for her. I am not a happy camper and the vet WILL know about it when I go back (if I go back). The girl asked me specifically if I wanted vaccinations done and I said just rabies and distemper, nothing else. I wanted her tested for leukemia and FIV, and FIP nothing more. I am just so angry I want to scream. What did I do to this poor soul? Hasn't she suffered enough without my help? I can't believe they'd give her so much medication in one trip. Wormer, fip and leukemia shots, rabies and distemper shots, on top of advantage. I hope I didn't hurt her.
I am so angry and want to cry, why did they do this to my newest little girl??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

That's terrible! I would bring up the fact that they gave her the vaccination without your approval and did not even tell you!
Don't even doubt that one bit. I think the vet and I will have a chat and I don't think I'll be going back to him if I don't like the answers he gives me. I left my last vet because they kept messing up my appts and putting me with this new girl who is dumber then a box of rocks, even when I specifically asked for a certain doctor, but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go back there because at least they never messed up and did anything like this to my cats. Shoot if giving me a vet who is not very smart is the worst thing they can do, I can always reschedule my appt and come back when my first choice is available.

raggie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow!!

I can understand your anger and frustration fully! I think I would feel the same way.

I really would like to know the vet's *explanation* on why this happened especially with you specifically requesting them not to vaccinate for those things.

I'm sorry this happened to you and Cali. I hope she will be alright.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just beside myself with guilt. I can't believe I thought I was helping her and now looking at those papers, I realize I am hurting her, not helping her as I thought. Why would any decent vet do such a thing? I just can't rationalize it..

Do you think she'll be ok, or did I just do the unthinkable and she is suffering as we speak?

I just want to cry...

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it wasn't your fault that the vet didn't do as instructed. I wasn't aware there was an FIP vaccine? Is it new?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat

Well it wasn't your fault that the vet didn't do as instructed. I wasn't aware there was an FIP vaccine? Is it new?
It has been around for years, but is pretty controversial. It's not a shot, but an intranasal vaccine, i.e., drops put in the nose, or corners of the eyes.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't allow my vet to administer the FIP injection any more, b/c it obviously does no good: both Winchester & Geronimo were given the FIP nose drops, and both of them have the dry form of FIP.
There currently is no vaccine that will fight off the FIP virus, from what I've read...

I'm so sorry you were deceived by your vet.
Do you have another vet in the vicinity that you can take your furbaby to, besides the deceptive one or the incompetant one??

I hope your baby will be all right, and won't suffer any ill-effects from the vaccines.. And please don't blame yourself: it's the vet's fault if anything goes wrong - not yours. You were only trying to do what's best for your baby..

~KK~

kittiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about that. I had a similar experience when I first got my cats. I took them in for their first vaccinations which should have included Upper Respiratory Infection vaccination. Later one of them actually developed URI and when I took her to the vet, they realized someone had accidentally give them their rabies shots way too early instead of the URI shot. So I had to pay for their rabies shots again, plus medication to get rid of the URI! I was so mad. Thinking back though, I shouldn't have paid for all that since it was their fault. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

Hope your kitty is okay.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I won't allow my vet to administer the FIP injection any more, b/c it obviously does no good: both Winchester & Geronimo were given the FIP nose drops, and both of them have the dry form of FIP.
There currently is no vaccine that will fight off the FIP virus, from what I've read...

I'm so sorry you were deceived by your vet.
Do you have another vet in the vicinity that you can take your furbaby to, besides the deceptive one or the incompetant one??

I hope your baby will be all right, and won't suffer any ill-effects from the vaccines.. And please don't blame yourself: it's the vet's fault if anything goes wrong - not yours. You were only trying to do what's best for your baby..

~KK~
Thank you. I know in my heart most of it isn't my fault, but I feel like I've deceived her and made her suffer for nothing. The poor little thing has been through so much in her year of life, I just want her to have a great rest of it you know?

Did your kitties get the fip from the injection? I had a cat that passed from it a long time ago ( 8 years) and it was absolutely terrible. He had it when I brought him home though, not from any injections. Now( so they say) Twig has the dry form of it in his body and always will but has yet to show signs of it ( crosses fingers that he never does) so when I saw that they gave Cali those shots I wanted to just kill! I was horrified and angry and still am.

No there are not many vets to choose from in my little hick town. Most of them cater to dogs first and cats as an after thought. I guess I'll just go back to the stupid one, at least I can cancel the appts until I can get the vet I want, or at least train the new one the way I want her, if nothing else.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am just LIVID ... I cant believe some vets and it aint just you... my mom s friend is in her 80 s and her memory aint great so she took the dog to the vet on the main street in town for a NAIL TRIM... amazingly she came out with a vacination, an exam and a sheet wanting to do a biospy ... BUYER BEWARE....

that all will be fine and you find a decent vet

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so frustrating... I changed vets a few years ago also...

It's amazing to me that these vets feel they can just do "whatever", as if this sort of behaviour would be appropriate on human patients as well.
It's frustrating and heart-breaking that kitties are not always taken seriously, even at the vet...

good luck to you, I'm sure baby kitty will be fine, but please keep us posted.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Thank you. I know in my heart most of it isn't my fault, but I feel like I've deceived her and made her suffer for nothing. The poor little thing has been through so much in her year of life, I just want her to have a great rest of it you know?

Did your kitties get the fip from the injection? I had a cat that passed from it a long time ago ( 8 years) and it was absolutely terrible. He had it when I brought him home though, not from any injections. Now( so they say) Twig has the dry form of it in his body and always will but has yet to show signs of it ( crosses fingers that he never does) so when I saw that they gave Cali those shots I wanted to just kill! I was horrified and angry and still am.

No there are not many vets to choose from in my little hick town. Most of them cater to dogs first and cats as an after thought. I guess I'll just go back to the stupid one, at least I can cancel the appts until I can get the vet I want, or at least train the new one the way I want her, if nothing else.
I have no idea how Geronimo & Winchester picked up the FIP virus.
(I can speculate, but it does no good). All I do know is that they were vaccinated against it, but like I said, it did no good..
They are both taking Interferon now, to help keep them in remission..
Does your FIP kitty take anything for his FIP??

I'm sorry to hear that there isn't another vet you can go to. I guess I'd choose the incompetant one over the deceptive one, too, if I were in your shoes..

I know it's difficult not to blame yourself when something like this happens, b/c we care about what happens to our furbabies and try to do our best to keep them healthy, and have a tendency to think, "Well maybe if I would have....". But like I said, it's not your fault: you trusted the jerk to do right by you, and he deceived you. It's not your fault he's a jerk.

I hope your furbaby will be okay, and I also hope your FIP kitty's virus stays in remission, too..

~KK~

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I have no idea how Geronimo & Winchester picked up the FIP virus.
(I can speculate, but it does no good). All I do know is that they were vaccinated against it, but like I said, it did no good..
They are both taking Interferon now, to help keep them in remission..
Does your FIP kitty take anything for his FIP??

I'm sorry to hear that there isn't another vet you can go to. I guess I'd choose the incompetant one over the deceptive one, too, if I were in your shoes..

I know it's difficult not to blame yourself when something like this happens, b/c we care about what happens to our furbabies and try to do our best to keep them healthy, and have a tendency to think, "Well maybe if I would have....". But like I said, it's not your fault: you trusted the jerk to do right by you, and he deceived you. It's not your fault he's a jerk.

I hope your furbaby will be okay, and I also hope your FIP kitty's virus stays in remission, too..

~KK~
Thank you. Like I said, I'm trying not to fully blame myself, but I should've double and triple checked to make sure nothing bad was happening to her.
I am the only one who can speak for them and protect them and I let her down, so it's hard not to feel mostly responsible. She was counting on me and I let her down.
Twig is the one with the dry FIP ( like I said, so they say) He's never shown any symptoms of it, they just said he had it because he was so close constantly to the other cat who had the wet form on FIP. Twig cared for Zen (the FIP baby) and never left his side until we had to take Zen to the vets to be put down. He was so sick, Jaundice, bloated, in pain. It was absolutely horrifying. That's how my husband and I discovered FIP. We never knew it existed before that.
Twig's never been given anything for the FIP they just told us he'd be a carrier all his life. (knocks on wood that he never gets a full on case of it)
Thank you again for all your encouragement, for talking to me, for helping to try and ease my mind, well for everything. It hasn't been a good 4 days off so far. But I'm holding onto the hope that since Cali's young and been living outside, she's got a good immune system and can fight off the FIP and Leukemia that they put into her body.

I hope your two never get more then the dry form of FIP. Maybe someday they'll find a cure for it.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a baby just die from the wet form of fip. Not a pretty picture!
I would be so angry with that vet, I would make him know that if my cat got the FIP that he would be paying for every vet bill the kitty had or Id sue his pants off. Although, being a cat lover I might wanna do that anyway if I was in your shoes! I hope your baby is okay, and they didn't do anything ridiculously stupid! Good luck to you! Keep us posted!!

your way!

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

For your kitty to feel better!! I will be praying that she will shake all that off!!

You did what you thought was best and it isn't your fault!! I am sure that she knows that you love her and want the best for her!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my..... I'm mad for you! ....I'm not coming up with any nice words so I'll just say that I'm praying Cali will be fine and that you can get in with a better vet back at the other place! How awful!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew there was such a thing as FIP, either; not until Winchester was first "diagnosed" w/ it. I never had any problems w/ feline diseases (with the exception of URI once, when I adopted Damian from the animal shelter and he had it, then passed it on to my other furbabies). I never even had to worry about my furbabies getting their shots - that is, till I moved to Texas where it never gets cold enough to kill of a lot of germs & viruses. Back home in Wisconsin, I never had any problems..

You did not let your baby down - that deceptive vet did that, when he gave your furbaby the shots w/o having your permission..
If anything happens, it's HIS fault..
And if it were me, I'd being suing the jerk...

I hope your baby will be strong enough to fight it off, too.

~KK~

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You all are the best. Just reading all your positive responses makes me feel a little better.

Cali seems like she's getting better. I think she is relaxing now and that is helping. She isn't gulping down food like she will never get anymore and leaving some on the dish. She is pottying in the litter all the time, she seems a little more playful, she doesn't meow anymore though. She can't, and that has me worried. I go down there and she just opens her mouth making the motions to meow but nothing comes out. I go down and play with her all the time and the poor other babies are feeling kind of left out. I of course make time for them but they smell Cali on me and want to see why mommy and daddy closed them out of the basement. Rocket has seen Cali and wants to play with her. But we are waiting until she is comfortable with the house before we start really introducing them to each other. (and to make sure she doesn't get sick.
) I am still upset at myself and I guess I always will be. I just never thought a well respected vet would do something so horrible knowing how I feel towards my animals.