Opinions on Natural Life and Market Select?

onebarkingdog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,
I've started my cats on restricted and new diets to address some weight issues. (some under, some over)

I did a lot of investigating and came up with these two types of wet food and would like to hear if anyone knows of any bad or good things about them.

The first is Natural Life, Ocean Fish and Veggie Platter, canned. The ingredients seem pretty good and wholesome - things like ocean fish broth, tuna, chicken liver, peas, carrots, rice, cranberry meal, and a bunch of vitamin supplements.

The other is Meow Mix, Market Select with tuna and shrimp, wet food in a plastic container. I'm darn impressed with this one, actually- it has whole little shrimps in it! Anyway, it also seems to have pretty decent ingredients- tuna, fish broth, shrimp, veg. oil, and a bunch of vitamin supplements. It doesn't have any starches or rice/wheat products.

The former is twice the cost of the Meow Mix.

Thanks for any feedback! The kitties sure love the change!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural life is quite good for the price and avail...

Meow mix is decent and great for the $

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im told not to use anything with rice as one of the first few ingredients, but that could just be a rumour!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the natural life cans but I have tried the meow mix cups...

My cats like them, but they are a different texture, not the standard "loaf" type...more like shredded meat in sauce. One of my cats likes to lick off the sauce and leave the meat.

Ohter than that, all of my cats seem to like them. The only problem with them (IMO) is that all of them seem to contain fish, which is not supposed to make up a large portion of their diet.

Art

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The MM pouches are cheaper than the cups and contain the exact same amount of wet food.

My Ginger will only ever eat the MM tuna & shrimp flavor. I feed high quality dry mix, and MM wet to my brood - except for Penny, who gets Sheba for wet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Im told not to use anything with rice as one of the first few ingredients, but that could just be a rumour!
GRAINS and cats ARE NOT evil

Rice is the most digestible grain for a cat ... in the wild cats veggies and grains would be about 3-5 % of total diet ... So they need some , yes modern foods have more grains to bind or another starch like potato

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed natural life canned to my boys regularly, but I don't feed them the fish flavors very often. It seems to be cheaper buying it at walmart. And unlike the nutro canned, which is around the same price, there's no beef in any of the flavors. Beef + Tomas =
for me.

There is lamb, which has lamb, rice, peas, and carrots. There's not much peas or carrots, in one serving -1/4 a can, you'll only see maybe one or two pieces of either.
There's chicken and turkey, again with the same other ingredients.
And there's a chicken and seafood platter. The boys prefer the lamb.

The meow mix cups can only be a treat for them, more then that usually gives one of them diarrhea. The pouches never did that to them.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitten Natural Life and he loves it. I buy the variety pack off of pet food direct and he enjoys all 4 flavors. His fur has gotten very soft and shiny since I started him on NL. I also like it because it doesn't look as gross as other loaf type cat foods I've bought. NL stays softer, I see less fat, and the little bits of peas and carrots are nice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

onebarkingdog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone's input has been very helpful! I'm glad to hear the good reviews of Natural Life.

I didn't realize too much seafood was a bad thing. Hmm. I'll have to mix in some of the other kinds of foods- it's just that the fish ones seemed to have a more simple assortment of ingredients.

I'll keep a close watch for signs of diarrhea from the Meow Mix. It's tricky, though, since we don't have a litter box- the cats all go outside to do their business.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by onebarkingdog

Everyone's input has been very helpful! I'm glad to hear the good reviews of Natural Life.

I didn't realize too much seafood was a bad thing. Hmm. I'll have to mix in some of the other kinds of foods- it's just that the fish ones seemed to have a more simple assortment of ingredients.

I'll keep a close watch for signs of diarrhea from the Meow Mix. It's tricky, though, since we don't have a litter box- the cats all go outside to do their business.
Seafood is not bad ... UTI prone cats should NOT eat it as it is high in magnesium ,phosphorus and calcium that is not easily balanced with grains ... Most of use limit it as a precaution, but my RB Kandie at seafood daily for nearly 19 yrs ....