Help Stuffing Question!!!!!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SO DH loves Stove Top Stuffing which is what we are using. ITs the Turkey flavor one. I was wondering if I could use chicken broth instead of water for added flavor. Would it be too much? Should I just stick to the water like the box says? I have low sodium broth so it would not get to salty but would it ruin the stuffing or would it just enhance the flavor? Could I do half water half broth?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I nearly always do broth with mine... in fact I'll be using the remaining Mushroom Broth from the container I used for my turkey (in the slow cooker) to add to my stuffing. I didn't get stove top this year... but I do like it... I'm trying someone different (I know, sacrilegious, but hey I gotta try different things).

If you aren't sure, do half and half... half broth half water.

Good luck!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always make my stuffing from scratch because it's pretty easy and tastes better. You can use any liquid you like in the Stove Top recipe. My friend's kids love it and sometimes for a change she will use apple juice or even orange juice and add some sausage to the recipe for extra flare. So I don't see why you can't use low sodium chicken broth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I have just enough left over to replace the water and I did not want it to go bad before I had a chance to use it. Now I know I can use it in the stuffing.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Another good use for broth is to add it to the gravy. It gives it extra flavour.
Im using store bought gravy, you know those little dry packets. Do you think if I used the broth instead of water it would work. I hope so that would make it that much better.

I know I should make my own gravey but I just cant bring myself to cook the gizzards and things. My overhead vent has died, the one obve(sp?) the stove and I just dont like the way they smell while cooking. So we went for the easy store bought stuff. I also figure I have enough to do and I need to cut corners somehow.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Im using store bought gravy, you know those little dry packets. Do you think if I used the broth instead of water it would work. I hope so that would make it that much better.

I know I should make my own gravey but I just cant bring myself to cook the gizzards and things. My overhead vent has died, the one obve(sp?) the stove and I just dont like the way they smell while cooking. So we went for the easy store bought stuff. I also figure I have enough to do and I need to cut corners somehow.
Yes, you can use the broth. Broth is a good substitute for most any liquid. Try adding it to your potatoes when you mash them instead of water.

You can poach eggs in it instead of water. You can freeze it in ice cube trays and use one cube for "frying" or to add a bit of flavour to things you cook that call for a bit of water.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Just take that stuff out and put it in the roaster with the turkey. When you cook a turkey you add some water to the bottom of the pan to prevent it from sticking, also to add steam to keep the turkey moist.

After you remove the turkey, skim off the fat from the pan drippings. Pour the rest of the drippings into a pot or put the roaster on a stove element.

Add some chicken broth, water from the potatoes that you cooked, salt, pepper, maybe a bit of garlic powder. In a glass jar add some flour and more room temperature chicken stock. Shake well, pour it into the hot broth, stir continuously. Bring it to a boil and let it boil about 2 minutes to cook the flour and thicken the gravy. That's all there is to making gravy.

For my flour mixture I usually add 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of flour to about 1 1/2 cups of water. What doesn't dissolve I smash around with the back of a spoon. You won't need all of it to thicken your gravy. Pour about 1/2 cup at a time into the pot to see if that is enough to thicken. If not, add some more.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Just take that stuff out and put it in the roaster with the turkey. When you cook a turkey you add some water to the bottom of the pan to prevent it from sticking, also to add steam to keep the turkey moist.

After you remove the turkey, skim off the fat from the pan drippings. Pour the rest of the drippings into a pot or put the roaster on a stove element.

Add some chicken broth, water from the potatoes that you cooked, salt, pepper, maybe a bit of garlic powder. In a glass jar add some flour and more room temperature chicken stock. Shake well, pour it into the hot broth, stir continuously. Bring it to a boil and let it boil about 2 minutes to cook the flour and thicken the gravy. That's all there is to making gravy.

For my flour mixture I usually add 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of flour to about 1 1/2 cups of water. What doesn't dissolve I smash around with the back of a spoon. You won't need all of it to thicken your gravy. Pour about 1/2 cup at a time into the pot to see if that is enough to thicken. If not, add some more.
I'm going to copy and paste that to use for Christmas dinner. Unfortunately for Thanksgiving we have alread disposed of the "stuff". The way you explained it makes it sound so easy. I will also need to get some flour, I don't have any more in the house at the moment. Tonight we are stuck with the easy dry store bought stuff. We discused it a few minutes ago and will use half water and half broth to make the gravy.

Gosh I love this time of year. It really is my favorite holiday. Diets be damned, Im gonna EAT

Side note, I have almost finished a bottle of wine to myself and the birds not done yet
. I fit the standard, a bit for the food, a bit for the chef!