Do you put the stuffing in your turkey?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm getting ready to wrestle the turkey and I was wondering how many people actually cook the stuffing in their turkeys? I cook the dressing on the side.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't make turkey dinners--my grandparents do, and they make it inside the turkey.

We've had our Thanksgiving last month. It was yumm!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Of course! It's my favorite part of the meal! (And I'm waiting for DH to arrive with the cheesecloth, so I can finish the bird, as we speak).

BTW, cheesecloth is a GREAT way to do the stuffing in the bird. Take a large square of cheesecloth (white only--best to use the culinary type sold in grocery stores, to be safe--not some funky,treated, colored, Halloween stuff). Place your stuffing on the square; bundle up, tying the ends (do 1 bag for the neck, 1 for the cavity), and stuff the turkey. I think it keeps the stuffing moist; but I really do it so I can remove the stuffing all at once--no digging in the turkey! Just open the turkey, and pull out the bags! (Don't re-use the cheeseloth, though. A pack of culinary cheesecloth should last you through at least 1 Thanksgiving and 1 Christmas.)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours has always been on the side. The only think in the bird that is cooked is the giblets and they are taken out (before cooking the bird) and used to make stock for the stuffing/dressing.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done both, but have to say I prefer it inside the bird. It just seems to taste better to me and is usually much more moist.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I cook it separately with the turkey parts (neck, liver etc).

Stuffing is the perfect environment for bacteria growth. It is moist and slow to heat up and cool down.

The best thing to do is to cook the stuffing outside the bird - in its own oven dish or on the stove.

If you stuff your bird, stuff it loosely just before it goes into the oven and remove the stuffing as soon as it comes out.

Stuffing should reach a minimum internal temperature of 74 C (165 F). In fact the best thing to use if you are cooking a stuffed turkey is a cooking wand because it conducts heat to the centre of the bird and provides a more even cooking temperature:

http://www.roastingwand.com/

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We cook it and serve it in a bowl. I know, we're boring. I couldn't tell you why we do it that way rather than in the turkey.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Always inside the bird! And Marge's tip about cheesecloth is the way to go. It makes it so easy to get all of the stuffing out of the bird, not leave any bits in corners. If there's too much stuffing for the bird, the rest gets done in a dish, and what cooks in the bird is sooooooo much more flavourful and moist.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have in the past, but this year I'm doing my small turkey (about 8.5 pounds) in a large slow cooker... and I'm not taking any chances...

Anyone done a whole turkey in a slow cooker? I'm experimenting with it as I'll be gone writing a fair chunk of the day... I have pats of butter all over it but no liquid, because none of the semi-useful recipes call for liquid... essentially I'll be roasting it in the slow cooker... I've always have liquid in my cookers... so it worries me a bit. Any ideas?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

No. I cook it separately with the turkey parts (neck, liver etc).

Stuffing is the perfect environment for bacteria growth. It is moist and slow to heat up and cool down.

The best thing to do is to cook the stuffing outside the bird - in its own oven dish or on the stove.

If you stuff your bird, stuff it loosely just before it goes into the oven and remove the stuffing as soon as it comes out.

Stuffing should reach a minimum internal temperature of 74 C (165 F). In fact the best thing to use if you are cooking a stuffed turkey is a cooking wand because it conducts heat to the centre of the bird and provides a more even cooking temperature:

http://www.roastingwand.com/
This kind of makes me wonder how our parents, grand-parents, etc. survived.
I honestly think people these days are far too concerned about bacteria. We spread manure on our garden every spring, pulled carrots out of the ground in the summer, wiped the dirt off them with our hand (or on our jeans) and ate them. None of us had/has allergies, we were rarely ever sick except for the usual childhood measles, mumps, etc. And that's not just us but all the kids in our school. Nowadays everyone has allergies and I honestly believe it's because they haven't let their bodies build up any immunities. Parent don't feed their little ones peanut butter anymore because they are petrified of peanut allergies. So what has happened? We have more kids with peanut allergies than ever before because their bodies never experienced peanut butter and hasn't built up any tolerance for it.

Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Always inside the bird! And Marge's tip about cheesecloth is the way to go. It makes it so easy to get all of the stuffing out of the bird, not leave any bits in corners. If there's too much stuffing for the bird, the rest gets done in a dish, and what cooks in the bird is sooooooo much more flavourful and moist.
Heavens you are making me hungry. I do agree that the stuffing in the bird is much more flavourful and moist - forget the turkey, just give me the stuffing.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like stuffing, but my mom does and always makes it as a side. The only thing we put inside are apples cut into quarters to help keep it moist and give it a tint of sweet flavor.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always to the side. My mother didn't like the hassle and DH's family seem to busy to get it together in time to go in it -besides this year they're smoking the turkey and ham.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

This kind of makes me wonder how our parents, grand-parents, etc. survived.
I honestly think people these days are far too concerned about bacteria.
Food poisoning isn't that uncommon actually. People just think they've caught a "stomach bug".

For a few, such as young children, elderly, or those with compromised immune systems, it's too risky and may turn into something much worse then just a simple case of food poisoning.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Always to the side. My mother didn't like the hassle and DH's family seem to busy to get it together in time to go in it -besides this year they're smoking the turkey and ham.

Food poisoning isn't that uncommon actually. People just think they've caught a "stomach bug".

For a few, such as young children, elderly, or those with compromised immune systems, it's too risky and may turn into something much worse then just a simple case of food poisoning.
Your statement pretty much confirms my feelings, our parents and grandparents lived miles from the nearest hospital and some of them never ever saw the inside of a hospital in their entire lives and didn't get sick. In fact they worked harder and longer hours than we do today and didn't take "time off". They didn't get "stomach flu" and take a day off work. The compromised immune systems, IMO, are often the result of not being exposed to bacteria at a younger age so the body can build up natural immunities to them in the first place, hence why food poisoning isn't that uncommon now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The compromised immune systems, IMO, are often the result of not being exposed to bacteria at a younger age so the body can build up natural immunities to them in the first place, hence why food poisoning isn't that uncommon now.
Not necessarily. There are several medicines that suppress the immune system. Some people have to have them or their own immune systems will destroy their bodies. One trigger that sets the immune system into that mode is exposure to bacteria. In those who are unlucky - have compromising genetic factors, the body kills the bacteria but can't find it's 'off switch'. Useless bit of info there.
And yes, these diseases have always been around, even in ancient Greece they were recognized.

Then of course, there's also the problem that we have made bacterias stronger.