Teeth Brushing

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am finding it almost impossible to brush Julius' teeth even with a pet brush and yummy smelling pet toothpaste. He just squirms and squirms until he gets free.

How many of you are actually able to brush your cat's teeth? Do you have any tips for me?

For those who don't brush, how often is a dental cleaning needed for your cat? I just don't like the idea of anesthesia for a dental if it can be prevented with daily teeth brushing.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest I have never ever thought about cleaning my cats' teeth
. I had always hoped that the free feeding on kibbles would do that for them, but I suppose I am way off the mark! All I know is that my 2 Cornish Rex cats both lived to 15 and they never had their teeth cleaned, and to the best of my knowledge they were A-OK.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't brush their teeth, they eat bones for that, chicken wings/necks etc.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely brush but I do give them some toothpaste that contains enzymes which work without brushing (I use logic gel). They lick it out of the tube or off a paw . I also sprinkle plaque off on top of their wet food.

I am going to try them on raw chicken wings too as that will clean their teeth if they take to them.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of my 5 cats I brush Kingston's teeth only(because he has stomatitus). I don't use a brush though I use my finger. I put the paste on my finger and massage his gums with my finger.

As for cleaning I only do that when they have a problem with their mouth. And I only needed to do it once so far(on a 9 year old Persian who is no longer with us). One of my cats is 13 and has not had a problem with her mouth.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You've just reminded me to brush Bruce and Sheila's teeth - thanks!

I must admit that I don't brush their teeth often enough - probably once a week, on average. And I'm not sure I do it very well! I get their big fangs quite well, but they aren't very co-operative about the little teeth further back. I assume that anything is better than nothing.

I would say they don't much like it being done, but they don't detest it - they don't run away or fight too much, though they do squirm.

They are indoor cats and have a wet/dry diet, but no extra things offered specially for their teeth, so I think brushing is quite important.

They're only 10 months old, so time will tell whether it pays off or not!

Bruce&Sheila

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet showed me some some tartar and gum redness when he examined Gracie in October. He told me that she would need a cleaning ($160) if it got worse and recommended that I start brushing her teeth with C.E.T. But what I've read about traditional brushing makes it seem like an unpleasant and largely ineffective ordeal. I read a lot of positive comments on other forums about PetzLife, so I bought some from here (it's the same site as Pet Mountain). It works. I didn't notice an improvement after 7-10 days like some people, but after a few weeks, her mouth was all better. Also, I can no longer smell her breath. I don't really brush her teeth with it, I just rub some on her teeth with a finger brush. I'm not sure why I don't see it mentioned more often on this forum, but this stuff is great.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I brush my kitties' teeth about once a week. (Neither are enthusiastic about the process.) My hubby holds the kitty, and I do a quick run on the teeth, gently moving around the gum line. They like the flavor of the toothpaste. We just try to make it as quick and painless as possible.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys get their teeth brushed once or twice a week, with small pet tooth brushes. They don't like it -I get grumpy looks from them, but they forget it even happened a minute or two after I'm done.

What I do is take them into the bathroom one at a time, shut the door and sit on the floor. I put the cat's butt between my legs -sometimes lightly sitting on them if they're being squirmy, and brush all the teeth then open the mouth to look at the inside of the teeth.
It's a lot less traumatizing to a cat then going to the vet and being anesthetized.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried once and failed.
Babee's mouth is so tiny and even with the smallest toothbrush I could find, it was impossible for me to brush her teeth. I may try again soon if I can find a technique that works.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ExoticBabee

I tried once and failed.
Babee's mouth is so tiny and even with the smallest toothbrush I could find, it was impossible for me to brush her teeth. I may try again soon if I can find a technique that works.
You don't put the brush in the mouth, because of the way cats mouths and lips are shaped you just push the lips back and for the front -lift them up a little.
If your cat can draw her lips back and bare her teeth to hiss, you can brush her teeth. (Though I bet that she's probably too much of a sweetheart to behave that way.
)
You can also try one of the little rubber fingertip brushes, but they're a little larger.

I don't want to ever take another cat in for a dental (unless very necessary), Sho reaction to the anesthesia and even the cream they put in his eyes really upset me.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great topic. Frankie lost one tooth and had 2 more pulled when she went in for a cleaning and the vet said that Wickett (who's not even 3!) is beginning to get tarter build up. So, I've decided to start brushing their teeth. Wickett won't be a problem... I "tested" him last night by using my finger (I plan on getting a finger brush) on his teeth and gums after I trimmed his nails and he sat there like a good boy. Of course, he knows treats follow grooming and maintenance of any type. I'm not sure how Frankie will handle it but she's gonna have to learn! I don't want to have to put her under for a cleaning again.

Anyway, long story short, I'm wondering how important it is that I use a paste or gel. Like someone else said, something is better than nothing and I'm afraid anything w/ flavor will only put them off. Also, do you brush the inside of their teeth? and if so, how?!

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put the paste on the brush and Zoe bites on it...I don't do the actual brushing motion, I just move the brush to different areas while she's biting. The enzymes in the paste will do the work. She loves the paste and she really loves the treats she gets afterwards for being good!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

I put the paste on the brush and Zoe bites on it...I don't do the actual brushing motion, I just move the brush to different areas while she's biting. The enzymes in the paste will do the work. She loves the paste and she really loves the treats she gets afterwards for being good!
This is how I do Riley
He likes the paste and thinks he's getting a treat. I figure a little chewing on the brush is better than nothing!