How many of you know.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just out of interest, myself being English I found this bit of info about Thanksgiving.

On December 4, 1619, a group of 38 English settlers arrived at Berkeley Hundred, comprised of about eight thousand acres (32 km²) on the north bank of the James River near Herring Creek in an area then known as Charles Cittie (sic) about 20 miles upstream from Jamestown, where the first permanent settlement of the Colony of Virginia was established on May 14, 1607.

The group's charter required that the day of arrival be observed yearly as a "day of thanksgiving" to God. On that first day, Captain John Woodleaf held the service of thanksgiving. Here is the section of the Charter of Berkeley Plantation which specifies the thanksgiving service:

"Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty god." [2]

Oh well its work all the way for me untill Christmas, but happy Thanksgiving to all of you people stateside anyway.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by u8myufo

Oh well its work all the way for me untill Christmas, but happy Thanksgiving to all of you people stateside anyway.
thank-you,

i am in the mood for xmas

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know the exact story, but generally knew how it all started.

I should be working today but have chosen not to. I'm about to start the pumpkin pie as soon as I get a little more caffeine into my system. Next will be the dressing for the turkey - I'm cooking an 18 pounder for 2 people (and all my critters). It looks like a nap is in my future later today.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew the story!!! I'm a big history buff and I've been to what is called "Jamestown" four times. They moved the town to this location so tourists could see everything(is what I'm guessing). It's really cool and very full of information. I don't have any pictures on this computer, but they rebuilt the little fort that John Smith and the crew had when they came over and settled the land.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats good, its nice to know people care about it enough to keep something for the generations to look at.