Broken keyboard on my laptop

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
My laptop was working fine this morning but now the space bar barely works.

I have to hit it really hard each time.

Has anyone ever had that happen? Is there a way to fix a broken key on a keyboard?

My computer is still under warranty but I would rather avoid having to go through that hassle.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing to try is to get a flashlight or good penlight, and very, very gently pry up on the spacebar with something like a toothpick and see if anything has gotten underneath it. It WILL pop off if you pry too hard though, so be careful
I had that happen a couple of years ago on an HP laptop, and found a piece of kitty litter under the bar (wonder who could have done that)

The keys just snap on and off, but in the case of the space bar, most of them have tiny stabilizer rails underneath them that are hard to get aligned right if they come off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
testing testing t e s t i n g

it's back to normal!!

I did as you said and gently pried the key up to look under. There are a few crumbs there and some cat hair, but nothing really big. I blew on it to try to remove the crumbs and played with it some more and now it works normally again.
I'm not sure what I did, but as long as it works, I'm happy.

I think I'll still get a can of compressed air at the store to clean the keyboard a little.

Thanks.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, i had to take my laptop apart one time.
and for the life me i have no idea how cat hair got inside of the case..

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

If you think that's bad, I had grass inside my last notebook after Jamie threw up on it.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

It is amazing the stuff that those tiny little cooling fans can suck into a laptop case

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

If you think that's bad, I had grass inside my last notebook after Jamie threw up on it.
Typical,out of all the space in a room,the kit. chooses to release his stomach contents on the laptop.
Am always leave laptop closed whenever leaving room at parents' house because can guarantee one of them will be straight on it,pressing num lock, seemingly purposely shedding hair on the keyboard or padding the screen with their paws.