Do you have cats with floating stool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently read this and was wondering if your cats have floating stool. 1 out of 4 of my cats has floating stool

40. When I go to the bathroom, my stool sinks. Is that bad?

When your stool sinks... it is heavy... because there are still nutrients or undigested foods within it. It also shows that we are having a problem digesting food properly. When the nutrients within the food are completely digested... the stool will be light and fluffy and will float. With digestive enzymes most people will see their stool float within a couple of weeks to a month. It may take a little longer for some. Floating stool is a good sign!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also does anyone have thoughts on this. And does anyone have floating stool, I don't recall ever having floating stool.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let me clarify, the poll is for cats, but I'd like to know if you personally have floating stool and if you do, what you eat and what supplements you take. I'd also like to know your thoughts on this relating to both humans and cats.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've never tried to float my cat's stool... I scoop and bag.

As for people, I've read different things about floating stool. I think I'm going to leave it at that... LOL Mine do both... depends on what I've been eating and what time of month it is.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man! I thought I was poo obsessed when I was working on Coco's loose stool problem, but you have me beat hands down!

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never really thought much about stool, kind of interesting. And trying to solve my cats problems might just lead me to a solution to my problems.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
River, if you have poo problem you might consider a detox program. Talk to your Dr.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks twsty, now I know what you mean by conflicting opinions. I get a lot of positives about floating stool but also a lot of negatives like this. -

Question :
What does it mean when your stool floats?

Paris

Answer :
It is a common misconception that floating stool indicates high fat content. Actually, the ability of stool to float depends on the air content: the more air in the stool, the less dense it is and the more likely it is to float.
Floating stool is often seen during episodes of diarrhea caused by an acute gastrointestinal infection. The rapid transit of the food through the digestive tract and bacterial metabolism of certain nutrients lead to a higher concentration of gases in the stool. Once the infection resolves, stool characteristics usually return to normal.

Some patients with chronic diarrhea also have floating stools that are greasy and smell very bad. This type of stool is often seen in people suffering from malabsorption, a dysfunction in the digestive tract that impairs the body's ability to digest and absorb fat and other nutrients. The food that is not absorbed will pass through the digestive tract, producing a watery stool with fat droplets in it. Again, bacteria will metabolize some of the nutrients that end up in the colon and lead to increased gas formation. Thus, floating stools are common in malabsorption.

It is important to discuss a change in the characteristics of your stool with your doctor, especially if these have been present for more than a couple of weeks.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

thanks twsty, now I know what you mean by conflicting opinions. I get a lot of positives about floating stool but also a lot of negatives like this. -
I strongly suggest that for *anything* you read on the Web (including in these forums) that you trace information back to what could objectively be considered an authoritative source before acting on it. If you can't find a authoritative source to collaborate the information, ignore it or at least file it in the "food for thought" category.

Of course, authoritative sources can contradict one another also...

Also, be picky about what you accept as an authoritative source. Just because someone claims to be knowledgeable about a particular topic doesn't mean they are.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As pet owners, is this something we are supposed to know?!?!

I admit that I do check out Jack's poop just to make sure that everything seems normal. As long as it looks more or less like Mr. Hankey, I'm assuming everying is ok.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to even bother to see if my cat's poop floats. I know what I'm feeding them, and I know they are healthy.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda wanna makes me start a poll asking how many cat owners out there have tested to see if their kitty poo floats?!

River,

I agree about checking your sources. I don't mean to make light of your thread... I hope you find a solution to your problems.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Man! I thought I was poo obsessed when I was working on Coco's loose stool problem, but you have me beat hands down!
LOL!!! too funny!!!

I have never "floated" my cats stool. It gets scooped and thrown in the trash.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually floating stool is MORE a sign of akalinity in humans... * thinks * cats should NOT be alakline

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So does anyone know what stool is suppose to taste like?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

sorry no idea ...lol ... since it is partially digested matter with bacteria * no icky taste smiley*

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

NONONONO... Poo is toxic! You should NEVER taste it. They put poo on pungee sticks to kill people with the infections it can cause. Of course, I had a min-pin that LOVED the liter box cakes... of course, she was an odd dog. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that no one should be able to answer this question... I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.