How did you name your cat?

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a plethera of names for our furry friends. What I'd like to know is Where did you get their names from? Did you think long n hard before you named them or did you get an idea form a book?

Magrat is from Terry Pratchett, she is a witch a bit dipsy with lots of occult jewlery.

Loki- Mainly from hearing it from the film Dogma (the angel of death). Loki our cat is a little devil

Mogget is from a Garth Nix childrens book. He is a free magic spirit trapped inside the body of a white cat with attitude.

So thats how i named mine what about you?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger: because he acts like a Tiger.
My husband wanted to change it to Blitz but I said that his name was already stuck!
Angel: because of her angelic meow. I don't think she'll ever grow out of it.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the tribe, their names are combinations. Their "Jellicle names" are from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, and their given names may describe their appearance or point out a particular trait. The exception to this rule is the shelter cats; they keep the name that the shelter gave them.

Diva Etcetera D'Calico; a diva, a calico, and she looks just like Jo Bingham's "Etcetera" costume in "Cats".

Mischief Mistoffolees
; His shelter name, plus the name of the "conjuring cat"

Blondie Rumpleteaser
; Yes, she is; blond as in between red and creme; and the cat burglar Rumpleteaser

Hobo Skimbleshanks; Rode into town on a freight train and arrived at my work's rail dock; Skimbleshanks is "the cat on the railway train" in the book.

Peanut Butterum
; Peanut was her shelter name, and Butterum just seemed to go with it

Sassy Saparilla; Another shelter name, and the Jellicle name Sasparilla

Trace Tumblebrutus; Found as a stray on Cumberland Trace road, so the shelter named him Trace. Tumblebrutus was Growltiger's first mate (3 legs, pirate kitty)

Freeway Carbuckety
; Found on the freeway; Carbuckety was in the book, but not the musical.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend wanted to name Milo. For Zebra, we were just joking around and said it would be funny to name her Zebra and then it just stuck.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duke (RIP) was named for the Duke of Richmond from whom we are decendants
Sibohan was named after a friend of mine who has the most amazing green eyes, and I was on an irish kick at the time.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ducky and Laura are named after my parents.
Easy was named from a group of people putting names in a hat and drawing.
Tino and Kiko are Italian cats.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raven, my kitten, got her name because she is black. My husband gave her to me after I had gone through a dark time and I wanted a dark name that was also pretty because she is pretty.

Lister- my former heart cat, I named her Callista because it means beautiful one and she was BEAUTIFUL. But we called her Lister and that fit her better.
Smedley- was Listers friend and my husband had named him after a famous marine.
Lister and Smedley are no longer with us
but Lister was my heart cat and Smedley was everything I would have wanted in a cat.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley - because when he was a kitten he was fast & crazy, just like a Harley Davidson motorcycle

Bayley - He just looks like a Bayley & I loved the name
, plus he answers to it, so that was a good sign, eh?

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll go in the order we got them. Most of them have to do with how they look.

Trinity- Matt actually thought of that one, because of her three colors.
Bentley- He has a bend in his tail, like it was broken at one point. I started calling him Bent when he first came around and then Bentley became his name.
Mercury- When he was a kitten, I thought his color was a lot like the color of the metal, mercury. Also, in Roman Mythology, Mercury was a messenger and my Mercury likes to talk a lot so it fit him.
Nemo- well, I looked everywhere for ideas for his name. . . Nothing seemed unique enough for my odd eyed kitty. One name I kept going back to was Nemo. He had been at my house for like two weeks with no name, well, Nemo, means "no name or nobody" in Latin, so I decided it was a perfect fit for my little boy that had been going without a name.

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am useless with coming up with good cat names,so have always called them after other cats family have named [Blackie II was named after Blackie],or have another system-named on a characteristic of theirs.
Goldiecat-because she is a gold colour.
Fluffybum because his bum was extremely fluffy.
And before knowing Biscuits' real name from her old slaves-had called her- Tortiecat.

Sister had asked to help her with naming her kittens,spent ages coming up with a list,and she said they are all stupid sounding horse names.
am making sure to get help with naming with the arrival of new kit. in new home.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loki was called Loki by his original owners, but it was a name I had been considering, and that was another reason I was attracted to him. For me, he is named for the Norse trickster god/giant.

Possum also kept his shelter/foster name. Apparently, all the cats in his litter had a name starting with "P" (they were rescued shortly after birth). I had him for a 3-week trial period, and called him "Possum" because I wasn't sure I was keeping him, then when I had decided I felt I couldn't all of a sudden call him something different. Plus, he knows his name really well.

Tricia

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Velvet- she's named after the song "Black Velvet" -it was playing on the radio the day i adopted her and it suites her to a t!

Jasmine- she was named before i adopted her

Isabella- i named her- no reason really- i just thought she looked like an Isabella- she's soo classy, pretty- it suited her

Kojak- when he was a kitten i had a litter of 5 foster boys and named them all after guns/weapons
We had Magnum, Ruger, Pirazzi, Blazer, and Kolar (Kojak). As the boys all found homes, we decided to keep little Kolar. I got sooo much slack about his name from everyone saying it sounded like the "kholar" bathroom fixtures- so i told Colin he could rename him. Colin decided to keep his name similar to his old one since he knew it-so he named him Kojak- after the old 70's police show
http://timvp.com/kojak.html

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
damian is damian because his old owners just called him satan because of what a naughty little kitten he was. now he answer to anything, kitty, kitkat, fluffy, fluffy butt (he's a long hair), baby boy. he pretty much comes to the sound of your voice if he knows you are talking to him, lol.

max, well, i just liked the name max

all our other cats their names were that just because we liked the name and it fit them, toby, susie, katie, jenny. as you can see, all our animals have people names because that makes them even more a part of our family. the only animal that didn't have a people name was my dog chewy, because he looked exactly like chewy from star wars, he was a shih tzu, brown with a black face.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katina - We were going to name our adopted kittens "Cat" in different languages. Female kitten in Italian was Gattina, and Rob thought I said "Katina". So it stuck.

Monte - My dad suggested we name the kittens after our cars, a Monte Carlo and a Camaro. Rob & I like Monte for the male, so we stuck with that one, but named the female Katina.

Chassis, Caliper, Tailpipe - My dad owned his own auto repair business for years, and all our cats had been born at his shop by strays he had as shop cats. We would name them after car parts. We decided to keep the tradition going with Chassis. Then we moved and my dad left the shop behind. We adopted Caliper and Tailpipe, and kept the tradition with them as well.

Tigger had been named before I met Rob, and I'm not really sure why they named her that or how, but I do know it is a common cat name.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jack came to us already named. He was a rescue. The funny thing is that Jack was also my deceased FIL's name and my witchy MIL complains that we are so disrespectul because we didn't name our son after FIL but we used that name for the cat instead.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Enzo= we wanted a really odd name, Enzo is the name of the guy who made the Ferrari cars. My SO is really into cars and told me that name and I feel in love with the name!

Leya=we were watcing Dog the Bounty Hunter (my favorite show) the day we got her and that show was the one his daughter Leah passed away. I really liked the name Leah, and I was said Dog's daughter dies, so I named her Leya, of course I spelled it funky because it looks more fun that way!

Stuart=he's named after the Mad TV charactor because Stuart is a really annoying cat sometimes! He'll yeowl and yeowl, and it's an aweful yeowl, until he gets pet.