Pet Store Kittens

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A local pet store here in Indianapolis sells kittens (which is deplorable to me in the first place!). About three weeks ago we went to the store to get crickets for our Savannah Monitor, and I was looking at the kittens. There were two beautiful doll-faced persians (mixes, I believe, personally) in the store.

We went back tonight for more feeders, and they were still there. Their fur is matted, and they are in a very small cage. Both cats also appear to be overweight and are not very well socialized (if they are persians, they aren't typical of the breed, IME).

The pet store has them on "sale" right now for $500. DH and I can't do anything for them, but I thought I'd give a shout out to anybody here who has any suggestions or may wish to save these kittens from a life in a cage -- they don't appear to be going anywhere!

If you need information on which pet store and where, please contact me privately. Thanks!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you could contact the store owner and ask what happens if the kits go unsold? Surely someone willing to pay $500 for a kitten would take decent care of it, right? (All right, so I'm being unrealistically optimistic, but don't shatter my illusions. *sigh*)

But if they grow older and become non-cute, maybe the pet store owner would be willing to sell them to you for whatever he got them for...

Poor things. Persian kittens should not be left without grooming; they're probably horribly matted by now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really don't think that they are purebred kittens. The associate said that they were Persians, but probably didn't know he was talking to somebody who knows cats.

DH wouldn't let me have them at any rate, though I'd be willing to foster until a home could be found for them. With Baloo and Molly still settling into their new home, there is *no* way that we'd be able to do it. But I hate that these kittens have been there so long in that horrible cage.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably are Persians as far as two non show quality BYB's persians can breed, I would contact your local SPCA or animal cruelty about the conditions in the store

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't have a local SPCA, and I *won't* contact USHS. Would animal control be able to help at all, do you think?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you could contact some Persian Rescue's. They might find a way to get those kittens out of there, and into loving homes, or at the least force them to give those kittens decent living conditions, and the proper care they need.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's actually a Persian Rescue right here in the City! I'll call on Monday and see what can be done to help these kittens. I feel a bit bad shopping at the store in the first place, but Pet Smart and Petco are *ridiculously* expensive for feeders (insects only at PetSmart, too, and we're about to have to move up to mice).

The "cute" domestic kittens almost always get sold (why, I don't know, they charge almost $200 for them!).

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

There's actually a Persian Rescue right here in the City! I'll call on Monday and see what can be done to help these kittens. I feel a bit bad shopping at the store in the first place, but Pet Smart and Petco are *ridiculously* expensive for feeders (insects only at PetSmart, too, and we're about to have to move up to mice).

The "cute" domestic kittens almost always get sold (why, I don't know, they charge almost $200 for them!).
That is fantastic that you have a persian rescue group locally, definitely try that. That just makes me so angry!

There is a pet store that sells kittens in my town too. I am pretty sure they get their dogs from backyard breeders, because they just have litters of puppies. They are young (maybe under 12 weeks) and you can see rib cages in some. They advertise all of them as AKC and are $300-400. The 'mix' puppies are $100. They are definitely buying dogs from home breeders. Their guinea pigs aren't seperated by sex and so they reproduce. The birds are filthy. They have 8-10 week old kittens for $20-100 each (not bad price, but super young!). They don't sell cats, just kittens. I won't buy anything from there, even though they have a decent selection of cat food.

I am so happy that my local PetSmart has cats from our animal control shelter. They have rescue groups there on Saturdays. PetCo has rescue groups there on the weekends also.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pups should go home at 8 weeks or so. Under 12 weeks isn't so much of an issue with puppies as it is with kittens. I have to credit this pet store because I've never seen a kitten that looks to be under 10 weeks in the store. But that being said, these babies are probably approaching 5 months, are not adopted, they are matted and they appear to be overweight. They aren't affectionate at all (unusual for Persians!) and seem listless, bored and depressed.

The average pet store shopper does *not* want to pay $500 for a kitten, even if it's CFA registered (which another store in the same chain often claims, though I have my doubts -- Himmies are marked as Siamese as often as not).