YUCK! I need treat recomendations...

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just reading the ingrediant list on the treats I bought for a stray a while back, and have used for Raven.
Ingredients: wheat flour, animal digest, beef, flour, dried fish protien digest, torula dried yeast, chicken, animal fat (bha used as a preservative), calcium sulfate, dried egg product, phosphoric acid, dried cheese product, potassium chloride, salt, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), titanium dioxide, natural flavor, yellow 6 lake, yellow 5 lake, bha (used as a preservitive).
What a bunch of junk, right? I can't believe that I did not think to read the ingredients on the treats.
Can you recomend me some good and healthy treats? Keep in mind that Raven is currently a kitten. Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nutro, blue spa make decent treats .... feline greenies are decent ... I use grain free food as treats since other than treats from www.catniptoys.com I havent meet alot of good treats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you
I am going to throw away what I have left in the yucky treat can!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get chicken filets and freezedried salmon from Drs Foster. 70% protein, contents are the meat and water. Pretty much it.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you. I have been wondering about trying those.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty Kaviar is 100% flaked fish and is healthy.

I have a bit of a problem with the freeze dried treats. They are certainly healthy but my guys can't seem to get the hang of chewing throughly before swallowing. I have to break them up into very small pieces or they sometimes choke on them.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Kitty Kaviar is 100% flaked fish and is healthy.

I have a bit of a problem with the freeze dried treats. They are certainly healthy but my guys can't seem to get the hang of chewing throughly before swallowing. I have to break them up into very small pieces or they sometimes choke on them.
thanks for the tip, I had wondered about that, escpecially with a kitten.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bengals go CRAZY for the freezedried salmon - it has Omega 3 oils in it, so it is healthier than some fishy treat offerings.

They like to play with it first (especially Max), then crunch it all up.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered, the dehydrated treats can be rehydrated by soaking in warm water to greatly lessen the chance of choking. Wildside Salmon comes in mostly small pieces to begin with and they rehydrate quickly. Other brands I have tried take a *long* time to rehydrate. Even partial rehydration would help prevent choking though.